• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

"ornamental" pepper ID

Just looked up some pics, and I think you may be right.  Looks very similar.  I was told that this was not "safe" to eat.  From what I'm reading, it sounds like these guys pack some good heat and are OK to cook with.  Any thoughts?

Never read its not safe to eat...this is the first time I am growing it also,mine is  smaller,just doing my transplants...I believe I read the taste is similar to  cayenne..we shall both find out.

I really am growing it mostly for the color scheme ts provides......when used in cooking,  milder tasting peppers allows more  enjoyment of  the  main course IMHO ...you do have  a nice healthy looking plant &  you will have a good amount of pods!
ENJOY ;)

The pods are too big to be a NuMex Twilight, and I agree the rounded pods make it more likely to be a Chinese Five Color rather than a Bolivian Rainbow. All have similar appearance, but the pods shapes and sizes are different.

Watch out.
A Nursery told me some places use Systemic Poisons on their Plants sold as Ornamentals.
Thus the warning.
Lots easier to grow with systemics at times.
They don't want stuff  sold for looks to look like a few critters munched on them.
I don't know if it's common practice or not...

Mate that's a Bolivian rainbow for sure. They're pretty mild, we put them in salads sometimes. Never heard of them being "unsafe to eat". Unless you spray them with hardcore insecticides and dont follow the withhold period. Otherwise they're great.

I also add them when I'm pickling other mild peppers:
2016_06_11_12_52_00.jpg

Back