• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ornamental Peppers Sauce

Hi all
Just wanted to say that, I always wondered about these peppers ..I like Tabasco Peppers the way they ozz and give that certain look and texture...BUT this yr I tried the Ornamentals and was impressed ..they don't give any color it comes out totally clear but they do give the Great flavor and very good taste ...I usually just use a white vinegar a little salt and just keep them in a cool place and they do there thing ...I am not a pro like we have on THP we have some very good peeps here ..But I just wanted to share this with all...Thanx Dave

i use ornamentals as a filler to some sauces and if your lookking to color your sauce a little more use paprika or red pepper flake they work just fine

and yes it seems some think that ornamentals dont taste good, well many do, i mean sure they dont taste as good as super hots but they do have ther uses

hope this heped

thanks your friend Joe

Thanx To All
I don't say eat these peppers, as the skin on the ornamentals is very tough ...BUT they make great pepper sauce .
i have eaten many ornamentals and and have noticed that not all have tough skins

Aji Omni-color,Chinese 5 color, and Ordono are all concidered Ornamentals yet they taste wonderful and skins are tender
there are a few more, but your right with some

Omni-color is the best of them all, hot yet with a little sweetness and a crunchy fresh fruit flavor, its actually one of my top favorites, they also by the way make great sauce but dont use too much salt or vinegar

just my two cents :cool:

thanks your friend Joe

Thanks
ajijoe As I haven't tried but one ..I will try others as they are ready available in most parts of the country...I'll have to look and see which variety I tried ..Thanx for the input ...We Really learn a / Lot on this forum ..thanx to everyone..Dave

Thanks
ajijoe As I haven't tried but one ..I will try others as they are ready available in most parts of the country...I'll have to look and see which variety I tried ..Thanx for the input ...We Really learn a / Lot on this forum ..thanx to everyone..Dave

no problem

let us know what species you arive at there are so many

thanks your friend Joe

I would have to say my beloved pequin is the best taster, chile de monte, love the taste , if I ever made a hot sauce co I would make my label around this little guy :fireball:

I would have to say my beloved pequin is the best taster, chile de monte, love the taste , if I ever made a hot sauce co I would make my label around this little guy :fireball:
yeah i know what you mean

i love wild brazil, little yellow fireballs with a flavor unmatched

thansk your friend Joe

Ornamental Bolivian Rainbow plants were being disarded at Lowes this fall after being killed by frost.
I salvaged a few peppers for seeds. After removing the seeds, I tasted the pepper. I sampled the white, the red and the yellow.
All three were from the same plant and each one is super hot! Yes the skin is like leather and sticks to your teeth.
The plants are beautiful and would make a great border planting in the yard with their upright rainbow fruit.
I have seen mass plantings in public places in Florida and they are very attractive IMHO. If I am successful this summer (the deer don't take a liking to them) I plan to dry and grind for sauce..

I grow all kinds of ornamentals but I rarely use any for eating.or cooking. To me they rarely have a good flavor or texture and were bred for looks rather than taste. Chinese 5 color pods pack a blast of heat but lot of seeds and not a great flavor at all in my opinion. Believe me, I've tried to like them since I usually grow hundreds of these every year but they certainly aren't my thing

yeah i know what you mean

i love wild brazil, little yellow fireballs with a flavor unmatched

thansk your friend Joe

Love to hear that! I have Aji Omni, Pequin, and Wild Brazils up and running...along with a ton of other stuff...I eat my ornamentals all the time. Some are hot, some not. I also dry them for flake and add some smoke dried Jalapeno and Habanero to it with a little garlic salt and onion powder...delicious! I have several different varieties of Red Missile's that produce so many pods I'll never run out of flake...and still have enough left over to make ornamental ristras out of the leftovers.

Back