• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ornamentals chile - suggestions please!

RobStar said:
Hey y'all

Off the bat: I think any chile in full fruit is a thing of beauty.  However I would like to grow a few purely for their ornamental value - in pots around our outdoor entertainment area.  So far I have the following on my list that I will order from various Vendors:

NuMex Pinata
NuMex Centennial
Chinese 5 colour or Bolivian Rainbow (is there a difference between the two?)
Explosive Ember
Prairie Fire

I'm not too keen on variegated plants and I already have Black Prince and Black Coban (thanks again Steve (SL3)!).

Any suggestions?

Rob I grew Chinese5color & Bolivian Rainbow and found them very different.  For a start the former's pods are twice the size and foliage is much lighter than BR.  Also, BR has a softer range of colours gradations.  Love to post 2 pic here for comparison

Green to cream to yellow to Orange and finally red. Super pretty. Ford's Fiery Foods has it on his site.

Just btw I bought seed of Cabai Burung Ungu! Thanks for making this available to chile heads Justecilia!

justecila said:
Is this the Stumpy you are referring??  I have seeds if they are!
DSCN9826.JPG

DSCN6417.JPG

Barra do Ribeiro is a nice size & prolific ornamental but you may not think it is ornamental #Robstar
DSCN5908.JPG

Those look like fairy tale mushrooms

RobStar said:
Green to cream to yellow to Orange and finally red. Super pretty. Ford's Fiery Foods has it on his site.

Just btw I bought seed of Cabai Burung Ungu! Thanks for making this available to chile heads Justecilia!
You are welcome and it is a form of support I pledge to Midwest for all his time on Chiligrower forums!
I don't know why but I was obsessed about getting that Cabai Burung Ungu from the first time I saw it on someone's blog. 
Have you come across this variety Cap 1546 as an ornamental specie? 
Leaves colours are bluish almost and in this way quite diff from Numex Centennial.  I noticed that its flowers at end of season changed from blue to bluish white strips. I thought at first I got them wrong:  but pretty sure.  I can offer you this variety if you are interested
DSCN9718%2B%25281280x960%2529.jpg
DSCN4470.JPG

Id recommend a poinsettia. Super mild. Take great to pots. And I found like partial shade so great for a porch or even a hedge divider if you get cool enough weather.

Back