• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

osmocote veg and flower slow release 14-14-14

Hi my freind turned me on to some of this fert i was wondering if any of you had any experiences using this on potted chilies..i was kind of scared to try any advice would be greatly appreciated thanx...

what works for some may not work for others i my self have tried it and i have had no problems with it

Yeah those numbers are pretty strong and for peppers a little goes a long way. After a few years of testing I now prefer to use 2-2-2 while in the vegetative state and 2-4-2 when it's fruiting and just foilar feed. I have yet to burn a plant yet and they seem to be doing better the last 2 years.

you guys are lucky that stuff costs twice as much here.

problem with fertilizers like that is that when it rains the coating on the fertilizer melts a lot faster, more rain more melting. and fertilizers get washed away by water real easily.

you need to maintain a balance.

I use it - it works great if applied correctly. In Pro-Mix BX, I use about 2 tablespoons for a 5 gallon container - make sure you mix it thoroughly. Any high concentrations of pellets near the root ball on initial transplant will cause burn. Osmocote will feed the plants all year - peppers don't need much. Obviously, if you're using Miracle Grow or any other potting soil with added nutes already in it, then don't put Osmocote in there too. In 2009, I averaged 150 pods per Bhut plant (3 plants) using only Osmocote 14-14-14. Just remember, with peppers and all fertilizers, usually less is more.

I use it - it works great if applied correctly. In Pro-Mix BX, I use about 2 tablespoons for a 5 gallon container - make sure you mix it thoroughly. Any high concentrations of pellets near the root ball on initial transplant will cause burn. Osmocote will feed the plants all year - peppers don't need much. Obviously, if you're using Miracle Grow or any other potting soil with added nutes already in it, then don't put Osmocote in there too. In 2009, I averaged 150 pods per Bhut plant (3 plants) using only Osmocote 14-14-14. Just remember, with peppers and all fertilizers, usually less is more.
Im going to try fish ferts low doses on a couple plants and the osmocote on a couple plants and compare results.. i just potted up my choco habs, and bhuts to 6" pots. should i add a little now as a top dressing or wait till i get to the final 5 gallon pots? @ big Thanks

Fish ferts work great in small pots - I just use Osmocote in the final transplant. I always highly dilute the fish ferts. - (Neptune brand)

Back