• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Our forecast sounds bad

hogleg said:
The way I see it, Santa Cruz is the start of So. Cal. anything north of that, is NorCal. IMO anyway. I've almost had to fight about it with my drunk S.C. friends.

Tribal boundaries vary greatly, depending on which group you happen to ask!  :)

I lived in San Luis Obispo county for a long while.  The residents are VERY emphatic that they live in CENTRAL California.  They hold themselves high above the L.A. hordes, and want nothing to do with you hippies up north.

From their POV, SoCal starts somewhere around Santa Maria.  (Occasionally included, largely due to the city's BBQ fame)   NoCal begins somewhere around Salinas, with SLO naturally claiming all the pretty land along highway 1 and the coast.  Despite being only ~100 miles away, and almost dead east, Bakersfield is dismissed as a particularly unpleasant region of "The Valley."

This weather system will bring snow to the S. Arizona mountains, and the forecast valley lows in the high-30's have me a bit worried for my plants.  I know we'll get a big freeze eventually, but...  :(

Mr. Hill said:
Wind is at 41 and Gust up to 63 so far. Lot of people are out of power, lots of flooding all around here.   We kept our kids home but there schools are open but a lot of the other schools around are closed.   Also lots of trees are down. . 

Here is something I just seen just WOW!!  

LOL, that map makes it look like half of California will be flooded in a sea of blood.

That said, the mountains N of Santa Rosa have seen a LOT of rain!
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/gmap.php?zoom=8&extents=36.335136,-124.487197,39.793856,-120.202529&density=1&precip=1&value=P24I

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Pissing rain here. Bagged my market - check my FB page for pics: Facebook.com/luckydoghotsauce

I posted a panorama - 40 mph gusts. #f**kthat

Shit, I'd be out for a walk on the GG bridge!  :D

Grass Snake said:
You can't argue with the California Dept. of Transportation
6SxtnC5.jpg
I get it now, you kind of have to tilt your head to the side when you:to get to the middle of the state to figure out the lines. :lol:

A little wind damage here a tree out back is snapped in half and a little Damage to my hothouse but noting to bad.  We got over 3" already and it's starting to rain again.  

Daedra said:
aww sheet rain just getting to my area yeah those 40+mph winds are crazy

Thbbft!_s.jpg

You Californians are amusing!   :D

We get storms like this once or twice a month during the summer monsoon season, and they pale in comparison to the hardcore weather found in Kansas, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4shC6WZLo

That is what I love about PA, we get a little of ALL the shitty weather.  100F in the summer with badass thunderstorms, -whatever in the winter with 30 inches of snow.

I lived on the South Rim of the Canyon for several years.
Saw a lot of weather I didn't expect when I first spent a winter there.

Watched rain dry up after half way falling into the Canyon.
In 72 I saw almost back east type snow storms.
Rains and winds that either soaked you for an hour or so then the winds dried you out then tried to blow you into the Canyon.

One year we actually had below zero temps. for a short time due to wind chill or whatever.

No flooding here yet but I sure wish I had about 5 or 6 35 gallon plastic garbage cans to save rain water.
I collected 110 gallons in containers last week or so from another storm but this one is much bigger.

theres pics of some streets in fresno flooding already no flooding were im at yet but few streets going to overflow 

JayT said:
That is what I love about PA, we get a little of ALL the shitty weather.  100F in the summer with badass thunderstorms, -whatever in the winter with 30 inches of snow.
haha yeah the east coast get all types of shitty weather reason why i moved back to california :D

Geonerd said:

Thbbft!_s.jpg

We get storms like this once or twice a month during the summer monsoon season, and they pale in comparison to the hardcore weather found in Kansas, etc.
Yes and AZ has water canals to handle all that water. We do not as heavy rain is not common here.
We don't have A/C either like y'all. :P

Proud Marine Dad said:
Yes and AZ has water canals to handle all that water. We do not as heavy rain is not common here.
We don't have A/C either like y'all. :P

LOL.  What you call 'canals' we call 'roads.'  :)

http://youtu.be/vzwewIzPXzw?t=1m24s

When stoopid humans pave over dozens of square miles of desert, and install only the bare minimum of drainage, the 2~5 inches of water dumped by a good gully-whumper of a storm hasn't a hope in hell of going anywhere except into the streets.
Rymerpt said:
Lake Tahoe surfers.

Cripes, I bet that's cold!

Geonerd said:

yeah im cool of kansas, only reason its a big deal is been dry as crazy out her past for ever haha yeah ive been in arizona during that shitty dustwall/rain thing the like to call weather not a fan been on east coast to hate the storms out there and humidity.. ill stick with the ground moving a bit every once and a while haha

hogleg said:
OMG!, Big wave surfing at Lake Tahoe :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I saw hat video - pretty epic.

I bailed on yesterday's farmers market at 10. That was insanity.

Pretty calm now - supposed to be sunny this weekend then dump on is again on Monday.

Hope the forecast is spot on. :woohoo:

Back