• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Outdoor irrigation Hanging plant/Garden

I want to run an automatic watering system with the dual purpose of watering my garden while watering a few plants on my walk way and hanging plants off the Pergola. My question is first is this possible, in my mind it seems straight forward, I was thinking of running 1/2" tubing across my Pergola and have drops with 1/4" tubing to the pots I want watered. This is where I'm not sure - I want to water some larger ground plants as well, should the 1/2" tubing going to the ground and run 1/4" with spray heads? put a sprinkler head at the end of a run out and water from above? and lastly I am concerned of water pressure and will the water be able to travel up 10ft and then be able to do what I want. Will I need pressure regulator? The total distance traveled for 1/2" line I am guessing to be about 40ft the hanging there are ~10 hanging plants 6 larger plants that are on the ground and they are in clusters of three and fairly close to the Pergola. Another wrench in close proximity I would like to run a drip line out to my very small garden. Should this be run separately ?

Having not set one up myself I don't have a lot of advice but I'm fairly sure you will need pressure regulators on each section to achieve the desired flow rate per period.

I figured that as well I just dont know if I am trying to ask my hose tap for to much at once - I've been looking around on-line and may try an idea or two to see what I can come up with I cant imagine it being to difficult

If you live near others, and/or when someone showers or washing machine runs, etc, your tap water pressure will vary. I feel you will need a pump for predictable (consistent) results. How far the tap alone can push the water upwards also depends on that elevation relative to the water source (tower, usually).

Back