• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

overwintering Outside in the winter

Where I live it never gets cold enough to freeze. I don't think it ever gets bellow the 40s in the winter. And obviously the days get a little shorter. Will that kill the pepper plants? If it doesn't kill them will they stop producing and just go dormant?

They'll most likely quit producing when the night temperatures consistently drop below a certain point, but peppers are perennials in tropical climates so if it doesn't freeze your plants will live right on through the winter.

Also the day length should have no effect on the plant since peppers are not photoperiod dependent for flowering.

What Tcg said...

It very rarely freezes here either and my plants live through winter without being cut back...They slowed down a heap in production and the fruit that i got was very small but at least i was still getting it.....

I cut my plants back at the end of August to help stimulate new growth and they are going off again by the end of september....

It may be a little differnt if you plants are in pots...Mine are in the ground.

AAAGH!!! I am so jealous! We don't have any snow yet, but it's in the forecast for later this week. I dream of living somewhere I could have my pepper plants growing outside year-round. And it wouldn't hurt to have a palm tree in the front yard.

Hey...if I'm dreaming anyway...

Back