• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Overflowing ferment

I have a very active ferment that has only been underway for 5 days, it's already overflowing the airlock.
Does anyone have any advice?
should I just let it go and clean up the mess everyday?
Can I replace the airlock without having negative effects on the ferment?

Somatic said:
I have a very active ferment that has only been underway for 5 days, it's already overflowing the airlock.

If you're overflowing 5 days in you likely did not leave enough head space.  The ferment is producing CO2, lifting the solids up and driving the brine out of the airlock.  Without pics it's difficult to give advice, but rather than continually fouling the airlock and then replacing/cleaning up it might be best to open the jar and remove some of the mash so you won't have blow outs down the line.  5 days in you're still in the 'wheelhouse' for the ferment - it will stay pretty active for another week or so I'd imagine.  If you are quick and clean you can have the lid off, use a clean spoon to pull some out to another container and get the airlock cleaned and replaced within 3-5 minutes.  If you really don't want to open it cleaning the mess and replacing the water will work too.  

Pics are always good - share em if you can.  People will be able to better advise you with them.  :)

Thanks for your advice! And yes photos always help, here's a couple:

This was Sunday afternoon, freshly made. I've done a few much smaller ferments recently that were similar recipes, and they haven't been very active, so I loaded up this 5L demijohn, thinking this would be more than enough head space...WRONG!

This mash has ginger in it, while the others that I've done don't have ginger. I'm thinking the ginger is fermenting like crazy in there.

This is how it looks now. I did already pour about 2 cups full of mash out yesterday. And replaced the airlock.

Looks like I'll have to do that again, and pour out another 2 cups or so of mash.

Careful with those overflowing airlocks.  Had a friend making a 5 gallon batch of wine and the airlock got clogged.  It built up enough pressure to blow out the stopper and airlock and sprayed stuff all over the ceiling.  Huge mess.

HAHAHA WOW well thats fermenting my friend great job!!! You can try moving to a little cooler area this will slow down the fermentation takes a little longer to finish but won't be so volatile.
But be happy lots of people never get there's off the ground so smile and enjoy. Hope your sitting that in a pan to help catch overflow. :)
cheers

That is one active ferment! But think about it: You have a tapered top. From a volumetric standpoint you probably left 1" or less of head room if you did a comparison of the headroom to the full diameter of the rest of the jar. Even though it looks like you have 5-6 inches, there isn't all that much room for the ferment to grow and expand as the CO2 gets trapped in the mash. 

Although, I think someone above said it the other good way to reduce the volume is to give it a few good whacks on a counter top. I personally don't like doing this for a few reasons. 1- I am superstitious about fiddling with fermenting things. I don't like to mess with them. In my mind that less you touch them and mess with the air lock and move them and taste them and stir them and smell them and etc etc etc, the better things will turn out. 2 - Whacking glass onto granite scares me. I understand firm gentle whacks, but sometimes I don't know my own strength  :shocked: But in your situation, this is probably the best way to go. 

Folks please read fermenting 101 before starting a ferment will save you lots of trouble. It has been mentioned about fill levels. never open to taste or stir once airlock is on you should not open till processing unless a major problem occurs. Moving your ferments to release co2 is fine you don't have to smash them on a counter a gentle left to right swirl works fine. And moving them won't hurt anything. Just follow guidlines set up by members and youll be fine.
cheers

Somatic said:
While I agree with the Fermenting 101 thread, sometimes this can't be helped. Leave too much airspace and you risk contamination issues. Not enough and you risk overflow. I had this happen this week with two batches (a 3 gallon and a 5) where I'd thought i left plenty of airspace. These began to overflow within about 30 hours. My solution is to put on latex gloves, and have someone ready with a sheet of cling wrap. I pull the airlock and they immediately cover the top. Then i clean the airlock and stopper in a mild bleach solution. I give the container a shake (while it has just the saran wrap on top) and then re-insert the airlock. I think as long as you do this during the first 5 days, you don't risk much by removal of the airlock. I could be wrong, only time will tell. I think for me, I won't get perfect consistency until I narrow down my recipes. Right now I am experimenting with about 12 different combos of fruits and peppers to find a magic flavor. If I discover new info along the way, I will happily share it.

Back