• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Overwintering Question: Main Stem Dying

I'm overwintering several of my pepper plants from last year as I have already said in older topics. I'm running into a weird situation, though. I've noticed that some plants have long secondary stems (off of the main stem) that are still green, while the main stem dies. Is this normal? I have a feeling that at least in some cases it it due to me not getting to their watering needs on time; that is definitely the case for the latest patient, my Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, which was planted in Miracle-Gro, which ironically seems to dry out faster than my home-made stuff. Another victim was the Rocoto Yellow, which was doing good but its main stem died, and eventually its huge secondary stem died too.

What happens when the main stem dies, leaving a (bigger) secondary stem? Does the secondary stem become the new "main" stem, or is this a signal that the plant is dying (most likely from dry potting mix in my case)?

A pic would be helpful. Admittedly, this doesn't sound good. You may lose the plant. But post a pic so we can tell better.

If the main stem is healthy looking from the secondary stem to the dirt you should be OK and may want to trim the dead portion of the main stem. If the main stem is dead between the dirt and the secondary stem then the plant is probably dying.

My choc hab I over wintered, literally left it outside as it doesn't get that cold here, had the main stem die. It formed 4 off shoots and the plant thrived though. It meant it was 1/2ft high and 4ft wide though.
Recently one of those offshoots forked upwards another shoot, and now I have a 3ft stem growing vertically from it.

If the leaves are healthy, it will probably survive.

Can we say there is no help for this plant? :cool:
On image nr. 1 there is before cutting, 2nd is same plant but atfer cutting and last one is look inside.
overwintering.jpg

Well, I already chopped the dead portion of the stem off, so I can't take any useful pictures. The main stem had to be trimmed down to only a few inches and the side stem is about a foot long. I'll keep watering it as I have been and see if the secondary stem dies. So far I'm not betting on this plant surviving in the long term, but I'll wait to see. As for the leaves, all of my plants are in the house and nearly bald due to lack of light, but many are surviving, trying to grow new leaves and branches.

Additional question for this plant.
What could be a problem, since the plant is on warm whole winter?
Should I cut all brown part of the plant?

190320121204.jpg

Looks like it might like a new home to put it's roots in. Mites maybe but I'm thinking there's some root problems too. I'd trim the roots and repot into some new growing medium. Also do you have a light/lights on it? Looks a little light burned too.

Hi Patrick

thank you for your comment.
Well, since I'm newbie in chili world I have to figure out what is the problem.
I'll change soil and check roots. How much should I cut roots?
Light could be a problem, since it's on very sunny part of kitchen.

Back