• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering OverWintering questions for our experienced flock...

I think most people let there plants die over winter and re-start in January/February with the exception of maybe having a few overwintered plants. Its just too much work to keep all plants growing when there is little sun and cold weather

I live in florida where the it can go down to 16 F in thee winter. We have 20 frosts or more per winter, but I have one chili that is 5 years old next to the house. It gets hit and comes back every spring and grows to about 10 feet. It looks like a tree.

johnoink said:
I live in florida where the it can go down to 16 F in thee winter. We have 20 frosts or more per winter, but I have one chili that is 5 years old next to the house. It gets hit and comes back every spring and grows to about 10 feet. It looks like a tree.

Pictures of this bad boys please.

I have notice that when I try to "Overwinter" them I fail. Probably not doing something right. When I put them in the garage with some natural light and let them freeze a few times with leaves on, cut them down about mid january and repot then they bounce back great.

johnoink said:

You must live in Fla (Forgotten Lower Alabama, AKA northern FL) ;)

Pics would be nice. What type of pepper is it?

POTAWIE said:
I think most people let there plants die over winter and re-start in January/February with the exception of maybe having a few overwintered plants. Its just too much work to keep all plants growing when there is little sun and cold weather

Thanks POTAWIE -

I think I'll be adopting this philosophy, though keeping a few more plants over, thanks to our milder winters.

I have a couple of plants that were certainly planted in less than optimum positions and I'll pot those up and move to a better location next Spring.

Back