Ozzy's All Grain on deck

Ozzy2001 said:
Nice. Brau looks to be a bit cheaper. Thise fittings aren't cheap.

Brau Supply is the guy who made the kit that my original kettle was ...

He's based out of B.C. ... but the flat rate shipping is surprisingly inexpensive, and stuff came relatively quickly to me (and I couldn't be further, LOL) ...

His quality is unrivaled - everything is pristine ... and while he doesn't have a massive/full selection, he has good prices for those key items that he does stock - which make up the bulk of what's needed for a home system ...

I expect my shit to be build, wet-tested, and ready to go by the end of the weekend, and if work allows it - I'd like to brew another batch of NEIPA-like beer this coming Tuesday, before I switch gears to TD prep! =) ...

Post up your plans ...

grantmichaels said:

Post up your plans ...
I definitely will once I get the kettle and plan accordingly. Probably going to put together a temporary cart and see how it works and then eventually get something welded together pemantly after I use it and adjust for ease of use.

I'm pretty excited to get it all set up.

OG 1.059. Gonna be a bigger than anticipated Pils. Efficiency was 75% this batch. I'd be pretty stoked if I could keep it around 72% going forward. I definitely attribute it to water chemistry and the new mill.

grantmichaels said:
Do you double mill for BIAB?
No idea. I've never done a BIAB. Don't know that you would need to. I probably should have with my old mill though. This new one does a pretty good job. I sift through the crush and haven't noticed any intact kernels.

Ferm has started up and I just lowered the temp to 8.9C (49F). Once it had fermed out I'll let the temp rise for a D-rest and then lower back down to 40 for a few weeks.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out. I'll post the recipe up later. I hopped it with Man Bav and Centennial. Not traditional but I'm not looking for traditional. If it turns out anything like Founders PC Pils I'd be thrilled.

I like the Tilt ... *BUT*, what I really, REALLY like is a spigoted fermenter ...

I'd almost recommend a spigoted better bottle over the Tilt ... that, unless you are planning to setup an iOS or Android device next to it to act as a repeater ...

The way I'm using mine, it's not that accurate (need to calibrate both for temp and gravity to improve that aspect - each battery change) ...

I don't get curves on my charts that are true, because they have too few data points because it's only picked up when I walk my iPad over to the fermenters to get a reading ...

So, I like it, but I still pull hydro jars to get the ACTUAL gravity, for sure ... and having the spigot is the key to that ...

I used to resent the sample-loss from using the hydro jar, but I like tasting it critically and getting those clues to the brewing/recipe etc as it's progressing at this point ...

The charts are cool, but I really need to setup a device to repeat them constantly or it's not really worth it - because a) they aren't really accurate, and b) it's a waste of $3/mo to brewstat.us ...

grantmichaels said:
Nice ... do you freeze them to mush em and disrupt the walls, or just fridge? ...
Freeze for exactly what you said, and kill anything alive in there. Going to add some fresh smashed to the boil too. I text Wheebz for some input on additional flavors this year.

Debating adding vanilla (cliche), cinnamon (not right season), or possibly cardamom. Nothing too strong because I want the cherries and rye to shine but a little extra somethin'

Back