• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pa1966stang's Grow Log 2016

After getting bitten by the hot pepper bug last summer I have decided to expand my grow from jalapenos and habaneros to some real deal hot peppers. The biggest problem I am facing is that our garden will have a full suite of tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and squash all fighting for space (more on how that will be resolved later). For starters I am going to let everyone analyze my grow list and provide suggestions for what other varieties I should try. I'd like to add in one or two frutescens just to keep things rounded out. Any ideas of what I should try?

The 2016 Grow List

Annuums:
Aji Peruvian
Tomato Pepper
Bob's Pickling (pepperlover freebie, I'm not sure what it is, but I guess I will be pickling it)
Hot Salsa
Cracked Jalapeno

Baccatums:
Aji Amarillo

Chinense:
Red Habanero
Coyote Zan White (Most excited for this one. I already have plans for a white garlic hot sauce!)
Red Fatalii
Chocolate Fatalii
Trinidad Scorpian Butch T
Yellow Bhut Jolokia

Best of luck this season, Im pretty new to this but also giving the Coyote Zan White a go this year. Hopefully all turns out well for you.

Seems like a pretty good selection of peppers to me, but since you asked for suggestions here are 3 varieties for your consideration:

1. CARDI Yellow Scorpion: Very fruity and hot. Good sized pods too. Probably my favorite hot pepper so far.

2. Aji Fantasy: A very sweet, very low heat Baccatum. A really nice one for eating fresh; maybe not hot enough to cook with.

3. Cabai Burung Ungu: A really colorful Frutescens. There is a thread with pictures here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/57530-cabai-burung-ungu/?hl=%2Bcabai+%2Bburung+%2Bungu

Anyway, best of luck with your grow in 2016!

Very nice list, C.frutescens usually are very similar to the main characteristic of being juicy (and unfortunately very slow to mature), but there isn't one more good of Tabasco, in 2016 I'll also try the Lotah Bih.
I hope you have a great season!

BlackFatalii - I've taken one of your suggestions and added Cabai Burung Ungu to the grow list.

While I was ordering those seeds I couldn't help but add another too (Scotch Bonnet MOA - Red). This grow list is quickly escalating to beyond my capabilities for growth in the back yard. Once I get some time to sit down and review the whole garden I see myself having to order a few new grow bags to be able to handle the overflow. 

The 2016 Grow List (Version 2.0)

Annuums:
Aji Peruvian
Tomato Pepper
Bob's Pickling (pepperlover freebie, I'm not sure what it is, but I guess I will be pickling it)
Hot Salsa
Cracked Jalapeno

Baccatums:
Aji Amarillo

Chinense:
Red Habanero
Coyote Zan White (Most excited for this one. I already have plans for a white garlic hot sauce!)
Red Fatalii
Chocolate Fatalii
Trinidad Scorpian Butch T
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
**Scotch Bonnet MOA - Red

Frutescens:
**Cabai Burung Ungu

**Denotes additions from the original list posted on 1-14-16.

pa1966stang said:
**Cabai Burung Ungu
Nice, thats a fairly awesome looking pepper.

21477553094_57ff44440b_b.jpg

Pic by prodigal_sun: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/57530-cabai-burung-ungu/

My web-hosting page is finally back up and in action. Thus, I can finally post some pics of what I have been doing!

The full update is below including some narrative about the person who watched over the peppers while I was on vacation in Utah skiing last week. Unfortunately she missed 3 days in a row and then came in, peppers wilting, and soaked them. I mean SOAKED. that was last Wednesday and I just started watering again on Monday night. 

As you can see in the picture below, I had a large swath of non-germinated seeds in the middle of the seed tray not germinate. I believe this is because the heating mat I used has a very hot spot in the center and I cooked the seeds. The outer edges of the mat all germinated wonderfully. I have since started to put some chop sticks between the seed trays and the mats. 

About 2-10-16:

IMG_1067.jpg

Tonight:

IMG_1121.jpg

The Full Update:
Annuums:
Aji Peruvian - 6/6 germination rate. Doing very well. Some showing signs of overwatering from my caretaker while I was on vacation last week. coty's yellowing and dropping off. 
Tomato Pepper - 1/6 alive, 3/6 germinated but caretake missed 3 days and 
Bob's Pickling - decided not to germinate any in an attempt to get some extra space for tomatoes
Hot Salsa - decided not to germinate any in an attempt to get some extra space for tomatoes
Cracked Jalapeno - 2/6 germinated and doing very well. 

Baccatums:
Aji Amarillo - 1/6 germinated. This was an interesting one, the seeds all poked through the first, hooked, and proceeded to die. I replanted 8 more and 2/8 have taken with coty's on them as we speak. 

Chinense:
Red Habanero - 0/6 germinated as of my 1-26 sow date. Replanted 8 more on 2-14 and 0/8 have germinated. Considered bunk seeds. 
Coyote Zan White - 0/6 germinated as of my 1-26 sow date. Replanted 8 more on 2-14 and 1/8 have germinated. I was the most excited to grow out this pepper and I am really disappointed that I planted 14 seeds and had 1 take. I am babying the hell out of the one that did take though!
Red Fatalii - 4/6 germinated, all plants doing well
Chocolate Fatalii  - 3/6 germinated, all plants doing well
Trinidad Scorpian Butch T - 2/6 germinated, both plants are small, but doing well. 
Yellow Bhut Jolokia - 3/6 germinated all plants doing well. 
Scotch Bonnet MOA - 4/6 germinated, all plants small but well. 

Frutescens:
 Cabai Burung Ungu - 6/6 germinated and they are doing the best of any peppers in the whole lot. 

I also repotted everything tonight. The grow lights are going to run out of room soon, looks like the first quell is eminent. 

IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg
IMG_1126.jpg

Very nice looking plants, good luck with everything! Don't worry about your garden space, choose first and figure out how to cram them all together later, that's always my strategy. Seed packet instructions go out the window and it's survival of the fittest. Hasn't really been a problem.

A few more pictures of everything still under the lights. I am 3 weeks or so from trying to get things into the ground. so 2 more weeks under the lights before I start to harden them off. They are getting huge and really too much plant for under the lights, but I don't want to cull anymore. The tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash which were started 3 weeks ago are coming along nicely, but some are getting shadowed by the peppers. 

Everyone Happy:

IMG_11461.jpg

Iso View:

IMG_1147.jpg

Side note - the blue cups with ziplocs over them are the growdown throwdown 2016 peppers that just went into the soil tonight. 

What do we have here?

IMG_1148.jpg

Back