shipping Packaging/marketing opinions needed

salsalady

Business Member
We've decided to put out a hotter Pure Evil product.  It will be in a dropper bottle in a tin like the original Pure Evil.  I like the tin concept and it works well for shipping.

Here's the current/original Pure Evil.

TC pureevil.JPG

Pure Evil dropper.jpg

The new Pure Evil label will have the SHU on it.

Should I keep using the same square tins as the original Pure Evil, with the updated label and a little different red tape seal...
-or-
Use a different tin like the smaller one of these?

tea tins.jpg

It would be nice not to have to get and keep another item in inventory. The original Pure Evil is already identified with the square tin. 

What do you think?  Same square tin or different one?

Thanks~

Woop. I prefer black, black and red = evil... thought you'd go for silver still. :)

Black is perfect for your label.

That's good news on the price! Hope it works out.

A local hot sauce maker here uses those waterproof key chain aluminum pill bottles for his Ghost pepper powder blend, you buy it once and when it is empty you bring it in for a free refill, comes on the same type chain they use for dog tags...

Vodu said:
A local hot sauce maker here uses those waterproof key chain aluminum pill bottles for his Ghost pepper powder blend, you buy it once and when it is empty you bring it in for a free refill, comes on the same type chain they use for dog tags...
That is not very practical for Pure Evil. PE is a liquid in a 1/2 oz. dropper bottle. The point of the tin is for packaging something that isn't the size of a thimble and won't get crushed in an envelope. Plus, she ships pE all over the world so refilling would be a pretty big ordeal, not to mention re-sanitizing the vials.

Scoville DeVille said:
That is not very practical for Pure Evil. PE is a liquid in a 1/2 oz. dropper bottle. The point of the tin is for packaging something that isn't the size of a thimble and won't get crushed in an envelope. Plus, she ships pE all over the world so refilling would be a pretty big ordeal, not to mention re-sanitizing the vials.

Right...I was just saying that the 'Pill Bottle' idea had been done already...  Danny Cash uses it in his shop out here...

Well, that's not a pill bottle.

And if someone has done it doesn't matter at all. There's this bottle called the woozy you know. Hmm. Looks like it's been done. Oops. Better find another bottle.

Scoville DeVille said:
I would like to see something REALLY scary.

Like this!

attachicon.gif
devil_in_the_box_lg.jpg

he pops out with the vial of P.E. in his fingertips. :rofl:
Scovie, that's funny! :lol:

I wouldn't have a problem using the pill key chain if it worked for my application.  I can think of 3 people who use it or give it away with powders.  I got one from Beth at peppermania and carried it in my purse for a long time.  Dunno where it went to~~~  Lots of sauce makers put skull key chains, bullets, spiders, you name it on the bottles as marketing things.  I don't think I want to get into all that, but I do have something unique going on. 

I have the small dropper vials and the inner container (which is basically a pill bottle, but it's a really cool pill bottle!) just needed some help and input for the main tin. 

I've also considered whether or not to wax the tin.  And I think I've pretty much decided not to wax it.  Getting the wax off is a PITA, (and more work for me).  I can use the red tape on the black tin, with a red label and it'll look cool and still be my signature.  BTW, the tape I use is electrical tape ;).  Don't think anyone's caught that yet~  :cool:  
PS- has anyone mentioned lately that this place rocks?!!

The Hot Pepper said:
Well, that's not a pill bottle.

And if someone has done it doesn't matter at all. There's this bottle called the woozy you know. Hmm. Looks like it's been done. Oops. Better find another bottle.
My point was not to say "don't use that"...it was to say the pill bottle thing had been done, by chance salsalady wanted something original/not seen yet.  I realize the woozy has been used.

Geesch you throw something out there when people are asking for suggestions and you get your a$$ jumped on...wow...that's the best way for people to NOT give ideas/suggestions... :confused:

I agree it's original SL. I don't see that looking like the pill bottle at all maybe he thinks it's really small.

And you better go for the black. That thing ROCKS!

No worries, Vodu, I appreciate your suggestion.  It might have gotten a little confused, but it's all good. 

I personally like square/rectangle containers more for practical purposes, they dont roll when you knock them over, and they dont waste space if youre using a bunch of them to store stuff. But you're probably the only one who would benefit from filling in those voids the cylinders would make.

I think a slinder flat rectangular case with a hinge on the lid would be a cool container you could carry around. Like an altoids container.

The superhot extracts all have gimmicky packaging that probably costs $$.  Pure Evil is intended to be used.  I don't want to make it so packaged it won't be opened. 

spycee,  rectangles are more practical for space, I agree.  Most sales of Pure Evil are single sales so as long as it fits into the shipping box, the cylinder will work.  It'll also have an inner plastic pill bottle that the vial will be inside which can travel well. 

The Hot Pepper said:
I agree it's original SL. I don't see that looking like the pill bottle at all maybe he thinks it's really small.

And you better go for the black. That thing ROCKS!

salsalady said:
No worries, Vodu, I appreciate your suggestion.  It might have gotten a little confused, but it's all good.
I was not confused, someone else suggested the cylinder/pill bottle. I merely pointed out that someone had used the pill bottle before. I know exactly how big Pure Evil is as I own a bottle...

it's all good, Vodu.  

SalsaKid just made a great suggestion on the label for the black cylinder tin.  Give me a few minutes to work it up and I'll  post another "review my label" question.  :lol:  

OK, we're going with the black tins.  Next question is the label. 

First option is-
Black tin, red label background with black lettering.

View attachment PE blk red samples1 copy.pdf

Option 2 is-
Black tin with red lettering

View attachment PE red-blk 2 copy.pdf

we'll see if this works posting pdf images.  :fingerscrossed:

Hmmmm.... Ok I'll try this again.....  Oh and yea, all the important stuff on the labels will be there for the actual label.

-kay, need a little help here....  can't figure out how to get AI or a PDF saved as a jpeg.....
or someone could copy/paste????

thanks for your input, browning,

I do a lot of different Texas Creek products which are marketed and distributed differently.  It all started with a fresh salsa about 20 years ago with some chiles sketched by a tattoo artist friend of ours.  Those 2 red and green chile characters still grace our fresh salsa labels and the first 2 hot sauce labels. 

After that, we moved to other hot sauces, BBQ and glazes, and now to the Pure Evil.  The only constant I've been able to keep between all the different products over the last 12 years is the 'Texas Creek'  name.  Most of the sauce labels (hot sauce, BBQ, fruit glazes) have a similar look and easily recognized font/design for the local store markets. 

Pure Evil is such a departure from sauces that we went with a different label keeping the same font for "Texas Creek".  Also, the bottles and labels I'm dealing with for the Pure Evil products are very small.  For this upcoming PE, the label on the vial will be about 1.25" x 1.5", Very small!  I'm "sacrificing" a logo for required info and clear (easy to read on a small label) printing and designs.   

You gotta go black w/red font cuz it looks like horror movie credits. :)

PS. There's text there that says you can order a free sample. I'd get the black one just so I could get the black of the label to match which may take a few tries and save some time.

Back