• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds ??? Papertowel method to germinate questions???

Okay so some of you may have read my other thread about blowing it with tortured damaged seeds a possibility. Soooo I have never tried germinating on wet papertowels like I have read here.... once or if the seeds do germinate do you or can you then take those seeds and plant them in soil??? Any advice, from any of you who have done this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've done this with many different kinds of vegetable seeds. I can make sure they get heat and water easier this way. You can plant them just as you would anyway after seeing some root or you can wait even longer to see some green. "Helmet head" can be more of a problem this way as the soil has less time to hold the case. I've never used the method with peppers but I read where many do. If the root grows into the paper just cut the paper so as to plant the paper with the seedling as opposed to trying to pull the root out.

I used this for my brain strains I'm growing this year. Just a wet paper towel in a plastic baggie, check em daily. Nothing more to it than that.

Once those roots start, pop em in the dirt. You're good to go.

i found that the paper towel method is very user friendly. If you wait until you see green and then plant them i had best results. On my bhuts i waited until a tap root was showing then i planted them. I hav about three sprouts with this method after planting. All in more than a month. Wait for green to plant is my advice. I also found coffee filter germ to be no good as it is hard to keep the filter damp in my opinion. Paper towel on the other hand in nearly worry free

Oski, if you keep it in a plastic baggie, the moisture has no where to go.

I keep my coffee filters in a baggie and thought the moisture has nowhere to go, but I have seen them get dry spots if not attended to daily. There is moisture in the bags, but the filter itself dries out. Not an issue if you're checking daily, but a weekend without some attention can dry them out.

Also keep in mind that I keep the baggies in a platic container on a heat mat, so the mat will increase the evaporation factor.

I may try to wrap the filters in papertowel to see if that helps.

I used papertowels in baggies and germ 27 varieties at about 90 percent. As soon as I see root poking out I get them into potting mix but I bury em a little deeper say 1/3-1/2" deep. That has seemed to help with the helmet issue. I let me baggies sit unmolested for three days then check daily.

I used this method for about 14 scorpions this year. All germinated but I planted them way to early and killed off 5.
I planted as soon as I seen that they had germinated, didnt wait for tap roots or anything, seen a little bit of the plant and in the ground it went. Have since replanted those seeds but will be using this method again as it was the easiest.

well, it is only day two since i did 19 different types into the baggies, so i am not looking at them for a couple days( crossing my fingers that the seeds are not baked and toast.

Back