• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Paranoia with grow equipment

My friends and family are super paranoid about me buying and owning grow equipment. I'm briefed regularly on how the police are going to bust down my doors because only pot heads need grow equipment, lol. I always laugh at the idea because all they'd find is peppers, but some go so far as to say that the police will plant evidence just so they don't look bad.

An old high school friend of my wifes refused to believe I grow these peppers until he saw a picture, then he went into overdrive about hiding it from the government. He said you can't have these peppers in the US - "I tried, I filled out the paper work. They wouldn't let me import the seeds from Bolivia." lol .. nothing I could say after that would change his mind, lol...

Even my father frequently cautions me about these peppers. He goes on and on about his friend who ate a {habanero} pepper and his lips and fingers became covered in blisters, lol - wtf... I've been growing super hots and eating them for a few years now, I'm guessing his friend is either a Tall Tale or allergic to peppers.. lol

Does anybody else deal with paranoid people about our hobby? What are your storys?

i would say that it is absurd. they would never bust down your door unless they had a search warrant signed by a judge. they would have to have actual evidence that you were doing illegal things in order to get a search warrant. tell your family they need to smoke a doobie and chill out.

my cousin used to say that you could go blind from handling the ghost chilis i was growing. it's amazing the power of the imagination.

My girlfriend is a chemical dependency professional... every now and then I get the better not lose my f in' job for f in' peppers speech... its awesome.... I then reply with the i hope when the break down the door they don't take a bite to make sure they are real peppers and I go to jail for attempted murder of an officer of the peace .... It would be quite the trip though... about the international seed trade thing... I have wondered about this when I flew in from guatemala customs took all my dried chilies saying no produce is allowed... i thought it was kinda weird.... but seeing as i get pulled out of the line into the back room everytime i fly internationally i didn't press the issue,

I grow indoors in Colorado, just like everyone else. The only difference is i grow super hots and not marijuana like everyone else. Most people think i'm crazy because i grow chiles instead of some bs that could land me in prison.

For real Jedi... I grew up in Denver. People would see my grow tent and get all excited... only to see that my ass ain't growin no drugs lol...

tell your family they need to smoke a doobie and chill out.

I agree. Tell them they can come sample my vape. ;)

Yeah why waste my time growing it when i can buy it. I can't go to the store and buy a 7 Pot, but i can go to the store and buy weed.

Because you can buy a clone for $10-12 and get a yield worth several hundred dollars. Buying it at a club is a waste of money. Just sayin. ;)

While this thread is humorous because of the extreme paranoia some people have, it is always wise to cast a cautious eye over your shoulder in this day and age because you never know what some less than stable police are going to convince themselves to do.

We had one cop in Ohio last year that was fired after years of complaints. One of the last straws was a video of him threatening a civilian and saying he was going to pull his gun and blow the guys head off...If his cruiser cam wasn't on, he probably would have arrested the guy on some trumped up charges and it would be his word against the civilian. Remember, probable cause is all that is necessary to get a search warrant.

Remember, probable cause is all that is necessary to get a search warrant.
And it's easy enough to make up probable cause.

"I smelled an odor."
"The dog licked himself, which is his signal for marijuana presence."
"Anonymous tip."

I just bought a grow light for my birthday, and everybody I've mentioned it to has immediately assumed it's for illegal purposes. And no judgment of those that partake, but it's really not my thing.

I barley smoke so buying it from the store works for me.

That's cool, it is just far cheaper to grow one plant on your own. Is it legal there in CO with a card as it is here?

On another note, I am sick of the stigma people still have over Cannabis. People can take Vicodin or drink till they pass out and it seems OK but God forbid someone uses Cannabis for pain, depression or as a sleep aid. People still live in the dark ages, a drug is a drug regardless of where it comes from.
Sorry for the rant but it's a pet peeve of mine. :banghead:

That's cool, it is just far cheaper to grow one plant on your own. Is it legal there in CO with a card as it is here?

On another note, I am sick of the stigma people still have over Cannabis. People can take Vicodin or drink till they pass out and it seems OK but God forbid someone uses Cannabis for pain, depression or as a sleep aid. People still live in the dark ages, a drug is a drug regardless of where it comes from.
Sorry for the rant but it's a pet peeve of mine. :banghead:

While I agree that it should be legal I would never take it (again). I have just met too many people who everyone could tell they smoked pot. Frequent use puts some people in a dense fog. Moderate alcohol use has been shown to improve people's mental ability.

Moderate alcohol use has been shown to improve people's mental ability.

Same with Cannabis, it all depends on the strain. My electric guitar playing is far better after a couple of drags off the vape as it opens the creative mind I believe. People you have met, and I know some as well, are probably using Indica a lot and that strain makes you a couch potato. Good for sleeping problems or pain but recreationally? No. I think it's this strain that has given people the "stoner" stigma. That or they are just abusing it regardless of the strain as people do any drug.

Back