• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Paranomal guess: Is this a Ghost Pepper?

Hi!

Brand new to the forum and to growing peppers.

Long story short - popped unknown seeds into soil and wound up with:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2330]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2337]

So have I guessed correctly?  Is this of the ghost variety?

Looks more like some kind of habanero to me.
the first pic with the orange pod is interesting, it looks dimpled and rough like a bhut but it looks too stumpy. It also gives me the impression it has a thin flesh, almost looks like a 7pot / hab cross even.

it does not strike me as a ghost pepper though

nzchili said:
Looks more like some kind of habanero to me.
the first pic with the orange pod is interesting, it looks dimpled and rough like a bhut but it looks too stumpy. It also gives me the impression it has a thin flesh, almost looks like a 7pot / hab cross even.

it does not strike me as a ghost pepper though

Thanks for the reply.

All the peppers grown so far were green, then orange, then deep red.  All have that dimpled type of look, and when I cut the picked peppers they were thin.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2340]

Pic above is just before pushing them into the toaster oven for drying.
Buzz said:
I don't believe those are pure bhut jolokias (Ghost Peppers). They may be crossed with bhuts, but they also look like they may have some scorpion in them.

What is bhut short for?
PepperLover said:
Caribbean red habanero  

Would this pepper produce a fume that steals your breath away?  That's what happened when I processed several for drying.

Would this pepper produce a fume that steals your breath away?  That's what happened when I processed several for drying.

most Caribbean peppers have strong aromatic habanero like smell.
this one should have a hits of sweetness followed by a strong building heat that lasts for while.

They look like Caribbean red habs to me.  7 pot-ish but not likely.  They look just like the red habs I grew two seasons ago. Bumps on the first unripe picture make me wonder if it's crossed with something, but I've seen it on habs before.

Wildflowerlady said:

What is bhut short for?
Bhut Jolokia, the ghost pepper
They look like this
colorchange.jpg

Burning Colon said:
there is a chance they could be dorset naga(a type of ghost pepper), my pods were stubby like those and never had pimply skin but were smooth.

I was thinking possible naga variant/cross also. They look a bit too bumpy to be hab crosses. I'd expect a hab to be smoother skinned

Wildflowerlady said:
What does 7pot mean/refer to?

BTW, is there a slang key for the forum?

No slang... these are actually pepper names. There are literally thousands out there that I never heard of before joining this site. Bhuts, Nagas, 7 pot/pod (pot and pod are interchangeable - they are the same), Fatalii, all of the Aji varieties.... you will find many that will get your attention on here!

Ok so is the following ID a safe bet then?

Caribbean Red Naga Viper

When I look for Caribbean Red details on-the-line I came across the Naga Viper and photos seem to match

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2337]

Mine above, a possible photo match below

naga.jpg

Wildflowerlady said:
Ok so is the following ID a safe bet then?

Caribbean Red Naga Viper

When I look for Caribbean Red details on-the-line I came across the Naga Viper and photos seem to match

Mine above, a possible photo match below

naga.jpg

How hot are they? That should give you a good idea if they are closer to habs or nagas.

Back