• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Parick's SBJ7

Dulac thanks for that info.

You say to choose your seeds based on the plant, not the pod. But it's not the plant I want to reproduce, it's the pods on it. How do you choose which plant to take seeds from if you want specific shaped pods?

You will want to choose the plant that produces pods that have the most desirable traits. Look at the plant as a whole. One plant might have one ideal pod whereas another plant may have a couple of ideal pods for example. You also need to keep in mind the plants will change until F6 or so. It's a good idea to grow multiple lines to see what they look like when they start to become stable. You should also mark which seeds are from the best plant (just in case you need to go backwards). None of them may give you satisfactory pods. In that case you may want to backcross for the trait that is missing. Say it's an F6 that is rather close but it's missing a defined brim. In that case you will want to backcross it with a Scotch bonnet.

Aren"t we arguing the same point? We are saying use the best pod...where did it come from? The same plant.

We are just saying picking the best pod, you are arguing for the plant.It is really the same difference.

Aren"t we arguing the same point? We are saying use the best pod...where did it come from? The same plant.

We are just saying picking the best pod, you are arguing for the plant.It is really the same difference.

Hmm, not when you have more than 1 plant to select from (and you really should have many plants to select from when breeding hybrids). You select pods from the plant that produces the best fruit. The best pod on an individual plant is no different than the worst pod genetically speaking. No sense in segregating the pods really.

Why pick pods from a plant that is not growng the traits you are looking for?

Common sense

Huh? I'm not saying that. I'm saying take all the pods from a single plant into account when making your selection. However, you might find that you get the traits later down the line. There are different breeding strategies. You might select the perfect pod on your F3 and get undesirable pods in the next generation. And on the contrary you might get your ideal pod in the F6 generation from the undesirable pod.

Edit: This is why it's a good idea to grow multiple strains. The SB7J is doing this from help of the community (which is really cool). I'm working on growing some out from a plant that had phenomenal production and pods (imo). Another SB7J plant had pods that were undesirable, but I may grow those out to see what happens.

I am saying picking a pod that does not have the traits I am looking for, from another plant is counterproductive. Pick the best pods and move ahead, not backwards.

Where do the best pods come from?......the best plant, we are arguing the same point.

I am saying picking a pod that does not have the traits I am looking for, from another plant is counterproductive. Pick the best pods and move ahead, not backwards.

Where do the best pods come from?......the best plant, we are arguing the same point.

Well, tails rely heavily on environmental factors. I'm just saying another way to do it is to grow it all the way to around F6 or 7 to see what sort of traits show up. It isn't necessarily counterproductive because the genes you're selecting for may not be expressed in the F5 or less and have the potential to show up later down the line.

Edit: With unstable hybrids there is a lot randomness still involved in the early stages.

So we are picking the pod with the most desirable traits. We just want to get it from the plant that has the most pods with those desirable traits. Now my brain is pain free. I had always assumed picking the best pods would mean it came from the best plant.

When people were saying "best plant" I was thinking literal.

Thanks Ryan and Rodney.

If ever intending to "back cross" (?). One should consider to keeps clones running from the "Mudda or Fadda" plants as overwintering the original strain proves to be a challange after a couple of seasons.

Been there, done that...........I'm happy now if I see 90+ germ rate on my seeds so I don't have to replant...extras

Hi Guys, just a few update photos of the SB7J starting to all ripen up .

They turn from green to yellow then to orange then onto to red.

Enjoy.

IMG_9786.jpg

IMG_9791.jpg

IMG_9792.jpg

Cheers.

Nice! I think I am going to cross a pequin with a peter this year...think it will really capture the essence of me. :rofl: :shh: :rofl:

I really like how this cross is turning out for you guys. Maybe if I can scratch together a couple million $$$ before next season I'll buy a few seeds. Great shots fellas!

Nice! I think I am going to cross a pequin with a peter this year...think it will really capture the essence of me. :rofl: :shh: :rofl:

I really like how this cross is turning out for you guys. Maybe if I can scratch together a couple million $$$ before next season I'll buy a few seeds. Great shots fellas!

haha, you mean because you're so wild, right ;)

love the texture of this pepper,, like how its all divets bumps you wouldent think one of its perents is a non superhot Hey Sownseeds is this an F2 now ? also how is the heat more like a 7j ? i read somewere they were right up there in heat ,,, nice pics

Back