• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pasilla de Oaxaca?

I got seed for this pepper from, I think it was Reimer, as Chili negro. It is smooth skinned and shaped completely differently form the standard chilaca/pasilla. It is also a mild chocolate/mahogany in color when ripe.

I don't see how/where to post a picture but the picture in the very top of the page in this link is it. http://www.oaxaca-re...les-pasilla.htm

The question is how to use it, some info I read says it is used dry and some say it is smoked. Has anyone here grown it that can please tell me what how it is that I need to handle it?

Craig

I'm not sure about this variety, but if it originated in oaxaca theres a good chance that it is primarily used in the ways you've mentioned. That doesn't mean they can't be used in other ways, I think thats a cultural thing. My wife who is from Mexico says dried is the primary way to use it though. Then you boil it to rehydrate, remove skin and devein it, and blend it. Then you use it as a sauce for mole or enchiladas. You can do the same thing by grilling them instead of drying them to save time. It is also used in salsa for barbacoa, which will work for any greasy beef product. Hope this helps, enjoy!

If you have any seeds left over let me know, we can trade!

Technically pasillas are dried chilacas, and pasilla Oaxaca is just the way the Mexican label varieties with areas where they are grown. These peppers are most often used in the dry pasilla form and often in sauces and moles

Chilaca/chile negro grows black/dark on the plant and dries dark brown.

chilaca2-1.jpg

Dried it is called pasilla as Potawie points out.

Some growers make chipotle with chilaca around Oaxaca....smoked....

Almost every weekend my wife and I cook a frozen pizza. We will put different hot peppers on the pizza depending on what is ripe. We always put on "hole mole" pasilla peppers (fresh from the plant). They look different than the picture you posted but similar to the one willard posted. Very good on pizza.

I got some end rot on quite a few peppers and got some tacoing of the leaves. I have put in some bone meal and foliar sprayed cal-mag once. I am now carefull about watering. I still get some wrinkling of the tips of the peppers before they completely ripen. I don't know if others have had this problem.

I have heard the flavor described as nutty. I think you will be surprised how these sweet, nutty peppers add depth and body. Under good growing conditions they have no heat. I have also noticed that late green peppers don't have the green vegetable tast that other peppers have. Young ones still do but they don't have to be completely ripe to lose that taste.... I hate that taste but others like it.

I am sure that there are differences between my pepper and yours but I hope that helps direct you to some uses.

Oh if you find this pepper is something special please post a review.

Thanks for the input. I know about the chilaca/pasilla being generally the same, I grow them, but as I got the seed from the CPI as pasilla, I tend to call them that.

But this to me is an entirely different pepper. If you look at the picture in the link I posted, it looks almost like a mahogany/chocolate colored Chimayo. The skin is touch and the meat very thin, Rick Bayless says of the Pasilla de Oaxaca......

"Make the effort to find the Chile Pasilla de Oaxaca. You will know it is the right chile by its rich smoky aroma."

I don't think a whole lot of effort would be required if it was simply a regional variation of the chilaca/pasilla . His description of it in his book 'Mexican Kitchen' seems to fit what I have, but the picture is of tried fruits and they all kinda look alike.

So I was hoping someone could confirm it's ID. And yes VS, I'll be happy to get you seed. I have a bunch of fruit out there still on the vine while I try to figure out how it is they should be dealt with.

I did find this in Rick Bayless's 'Mexican Kitchen'....."In Oaxaca, there is a redder smaller, hotter, smoky-smelling chile called passila or pasilla oaxaqueno that is stuffed or used in sauces; it is very different from standard pasillas...." " I wouldn't doubt that folks make expeditions to Oaxaca just to eat these chiles;not available elsewhere, these costly little wondersare one of the most delicious edibles on the planet."

I picked a couple pounds today and plan to try Bayless's Stufed Chile Pasilla Oaxaqueno this weekend.

Back