beer Passow Homebrews Beer

Well, it’s finished. Today’s session of home brewing beer all by my lonesome (brewed before once or twice with friends, but this is the first that I can call my own). Thought I might share some pics and the recipe (thanks to BierMuncher for the starting point!):

Centennial Blonde Partial Mash
4.00 lb Dark Malt Extract (Dry)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Crystal Malt (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.05 oz Fresh Cascade (10 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Muntons Gold Yeast

Original Gravity Reading: 1.031

Soaking the grain.
step1grainso1.jpg

Pic of some fresh hops that I got straight from the vine.
step2hopskg2.jpg

Sanitize sanitize sanitize!
step3sanatizegb1.jpg

I also did the pot of wort in the sink with ice method. Then I took some water that I had boiled then frozen the night before and dumpted it in the wort. I think it cooled it to about 70 degrees in about 3 minutes! AMAZING!

The fermenter doing it’s thing.

step4fermentrv0.jpg

A blonde w/4 lbs of dark DME???:P

If you say so.

It will be beer regardless, and tasty at that!

I don't mean to criticise, merely talking shop. Good on you for starting! You will never look back.

I would start a cheapy soon after, referred to as "session" beer.

I would recommend
3 lbs pale DME
2 lbs carapilsen malt

2 oz cascades at 30 min and at 10.

Should cost half of that one if you pitch on the same yeast cake.

If you don't do this, you will look back 3 weeks after you bottle your centennial and wonder where it went!

You need some cheap stuff on hand, and when you compare an 18 pack of cheap store bought to the ingredients you could have gotten for that money, even miller lite will be a thing of the past!

Welcome to the brotherhood!

You might like www.homebrewtalk.com

similiar format and good folks to thehotpepper.

Sickmont said:
The top of your fermenter looks like a tagine. You're making me hungry now.
Hehehe, now you made me hungry too!!! Good thing I've got a Famous Passow Pizza in the oven right now!

cheezydemon said:
A blonde w/4 lbs of dark DME???:P
Ya, I know, thought I might change it up a bit, plus it was cheaper than the 6LBS of LME.

cheezydemon said:
You might like www.homebrewtalk.com

similiar format and good folks to thehotpepper.
Already registered there. I have the same s/n as here. Already up to 4,000 posts since registering a week ago (hehe, j/k).

But was it supposed to be pale LME and you switched to dark DME?

No worries, it will be beer.

Your wort actually doesn't look that dark, are you sure it was dark DME?

texas blues said:
Where's the stinkin' pics of the pizza Jon????

Cheers, TB.
Why do you look like a 13 year old in your new avatar?
cheezydemon said:
But was it supposed to be pale LME and you switched to dark DME?
Like I said, that was a MODIFIED recipe. It said 4.5lbs of DME OR 6.5lbs of LME. I chose the DME and went extra light on it too!!!! I know what I'm doing, don't worry :)

Good to see you giving me shit on the homebrewforum too, hehe....I would do the same too ;)

I was sitting down talking to my fried on the phone about how I'm worried about the yeast, and right then and there the ferm lock bubbled! I let out a HUGE victory chear! Then it bubbled again! Another chear shot out from my mouth! We're on our way to beer!!!!

imaguitargod said:
Why do you look like a 13 year old in your new avatar?

Like I said, that was a MODIFIED recipe. It said 4.5lbs of DME OR 6.5lbs of LME. I chose the DME and went extra light on it too!!!! I know what I'm doing, don't worry :)

Good to see you giving me shit on the homebrewforum too, hehe....I would do the same too ;)

Damn! Happens everytime I take off the pirate hat. Aaargh!

Cheers, TB.

The question was never liquid vs dry. It doesn't matter.

The difference comes in DARK or LIGHT. Your recipe says dark extract instead of light.

I am not splitting hairs here, light is for a blond or pale ale. Dark is for a stout or porter.

Like I said, it will be good beer either way, I was just surprised by such a huge swing. I have a feeling you typed dark when it in fact wasn't.

DME means DRY malt extract, not Dark malt extract. It comes in Dark, Amber, Light, and extra pale. You did fine, but I would edit the recipe on HBT or someone will certainly make fun.
;)

;)

Easy mistake to make! What matters, is that the brew will still be true to style and recipe!

I am all for experimenting by the way.

I dumped 8 lbs of brown sugar and 3 gallons of water on the leftover yeast from my first brew;).

It mad some sort of dark rum that would not carbonate. It is good in a rum and coke!

Save the yeast right in your fermenter, it is a great way to save money!

IGG...I have been thinking about going back to homebrewing and I checked out several HB forums and ran across yours. Nice. You evil bastard! Now I really have the bug. Seems THP really is a drinking forum with a pepper problem!

Cheers, TB.

Lol. eloquently put.

"Beer isn't the problem hon, it is the 2 cups of salsa that I made with 2 7 pots and a jalapeno that I am addicted to!!!"

(but I don't want help ;))

...and here's something else I've been thinking about getting into. I just can't bring myself to do it. Mainly, I'm afraid I'll screw something up and have gallons of undrinkable swill after putting all that work into it.

Back