Passow's Pumpkin Experiments

cheezydemon said:
What'd you find on the homebrew site?;)

They said it would probably add some wild yeast and other people were thinking about doing it too.

So I'm going to do a gallon or two in a giant pumpkin.

I just took some gravity readings a sI hop to bottle this weekend and here's the low down:

Passow's Yet To Be Named Pumpkin Ale: It's at 6.6% abv right now, tasty but not really impressive. We'll see what it's like when it's carbinated.

Passow's Kurbis Rauch Pfortner- 7.7% abv....OMG This tastes AMAZING!!!! Slight malty/pumpkin sweetness on the frontend that mingles with the smoke flavor. Then the dark porter taste comes in midway and moves to the ever so subtle pumpkin pie spice backend.......... this may be a huge hit on my hands....

Well, I bottled my Pumpkin Ale (called "It's The Great Pumpkin Ale, Charlie Brown"). But I also put 1.5 gallons of it into a sanatized, carved out pumpkin. I'm going to age it for a week then bottle.

pumpkinageing1.jpg

pumpkinageing2.jpg

What's not pictures is the duct tape I covered the main hole with.

texas blues said:
How did you sanitize the punkin?
Not very well :lol: Just took some sanatizing solution and swirled it in the pumpkin and dumped it.

texas blues said:
The piccy with the carburator on the punkin is off the charts on my WTF-o-meter.
I KNOW!!!! IT'S SOOOO COOLLL!!!!!

HA, that looks cooler than I originally pictured. "sanitized" the pumpkin', gotta love it. did you make sure you sanitized your hands, and the duck tape, and the scissors, and the ....

But in all actuality, what's the worse than can happen? It gets a slight cidery taste? pshh, that'll just blend in w/ the pumpkin and you can say you wanted to out-do indigo imp :6 (barf). and besides, you get +5 post-cred

that pumpkin is coming from the same dude who was concerned about plastic buckets leechin! classic! :)

IGG...perhaps if the experiment worked out okay, maybe next time you could fit the pumpkin inside a fermenting bucket and stick the airlock on there? I mean you're already slightly risking infections anyway, at least you'd know the bucket is airtight. Course...you could have racked onto diced punkin chunks as if they were oak chips. Hmmm...i might use that idea. I just moved mine to secondary.

i do think it's clever though. i don't want to come off as being all "ya should done it this way" or anything.

fineexampl said:
that pumpkin is coming from the same dude who was concerned about plastic buckets leechin! classic! :)

IGG...perhaps if the experiment worked out okay, maybe next time you could fit the pumpkin inside a fermenting bucket and stick the airlock on there? I mean you're already slightly risking infections anyway, at least you'd know the bucket is airtight. Course...you could have racked onto diced punkin chunks as if they were oak chips. Hmmm...i might use that idea. I just moved mine to secondary.

i do think it's clever though. i don't want to come off as being all "ya should done it this way" or anything.

I can see where you might get conflicting impressions from this. For this experiment I wasn't really concerned that the 1.5 gallons (not the whole batch remember) was going to get some wild bugs into it. Infact, I'm completely prepared for that eventuality.

I still stand on my plastic bucket comments as the point of fermenting your beer so it doesn't get contaiminated, 99% of the time, is the main goal. So you should take as many perventative steps as possable. But like I said, that wasn't the main goal here in this experiment ;)

Yes, I could have done pumpkin cubes and sanatized them in the oven, then racked the beer onto them in the fermentor. But that wouldn't have looked as awesome as having an airlock on a duct taped closed pumpkin. Also, if it gets soured by some wild yeast....that might taste interesting.

Hence my whacy decision ;)

fineexampl said:
QUOTE]

HA! Funny story...a few weeks ago Igg calls me up and REALLLLY needed a fermentor. My glass 6 gal ones are all full, and I told him I had the plastic ale pale. He did not want ANY part of it...and opted to take one of my glass 5 gal. and said he would use a few GLASS growlers for the remainder of the wort LOL. :rofl:

Fr0tran said:
HA! Funny story...a few weeks ago Igg calls me up and REALLLLY needed a fermentor. My glass 6 gal ones are all full, and I told him I had the plastic ale pale. He did not want ANY part of it...and opted to take one of my glass 5 gal. and said he would use a few GLASS growlers for the remainder of the wort LOL. :rofl:
Didn't even fill it up to the 5 gallon mark...lost alot of wort to the pumpkin :(

BTW, I have the fermentor ready to bring back to you...also need your help with my immersion chiller....the bottling bucket was too big, need to use a corney keg to rewrap it if you don't mind helping me.

Fr0tran said:
when are you tapping the punklin ale dispensing pumpkin btw? I want to be there to do the winning.

Bottling it Saturday morning probably...

imaguitargod said:
Didn't even fill it up to the 5 gallon mark...lost alot of wort to the pumpkin :(

BTW, I have the fermentor ready to bring back to you...also need your help with my immersion chiller....the bottling bucket was too big, need to use a corney keg to rewrap it if you don't mind helping me.

Bottling it Saturday morning probably...

All 3 are currently in service. However, I originally made my chiller by wrapping it around this cylindrical rubbish bin in my basement...i still have it...unless you're afraid of it b/c it's plastic! :hell:

Back