• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Patented pepper varieties

Hi all,I've been reading alot about Monsanto suing people for planting seeds from previous crops. My question is,are there any pepper varieties that he has patents on? I tried Google and got nowhere

I didn't relize monsanto had their hands in that many brands of pepper varieties, I think they would say they owned it even if they didn't.
I know they tried to claim that a pumpkin that was all warty was under their patent which was untrue as the pumpkin had been grown for many years before they were even around, they lost that one, but it just shows that they are up to no good.

wildseed57 said:
I didn't relize monsanto had their hands in that many brands of pepper varieties, I think they would say they owned it even if they didn't.
I know they tried to claim that a pumpkin that was all warty was under their patent which was untrue as the pumpkin had been grown for many years before they were even around, they lost that one, but it just shows that they are up to no good.
wildseed57 said:
Pumpkins? Wow. Sounds like this guy is trying to patent everything

I apologize about the double posts. I'm on a junk phone right now

grimmpepper said:
Pumpkins? Wow. Sounds like this guy is trying to patent everything

I apologize about the double posts. I'm on a junk phone right now
Monsanto is a huge multinational corporation, not one dude who is some kind of supervillain.

I'm going more and more Organic because of them, I don't want to make them Richer and kill off Man kind at the same time. I can't stand IMO what there doing with GMO's or how they run the USA Gov. 

One should distinguish between a patent that describes the way how to get something.
I.e. how to bread a plant with certain characteristics (fruit shape, virus resistance, resistance against herbicides etc. etc.)
and allows the holder of the patent to prohibid competitors to bread their plants in the same way

AND

A PVP (plant variety protection)
You all know that Red Savina had this protection
Dorset Naga has protection as I can see from the list of the European Plant Variety Organisation
and Jukka Kilpinen from Fatalii claims that he has protected his Jigsaw and a other C. baccatum
Most of the PVP protected varieties are F1 and are not very interesting for us.

But what I do not like is that people like Jukka go into this field.
That´s pure greed for money!!

Peter

Peter from what I can gather - Jukka has "protected" his varieties in Finland - he claims it is patented in Finland.  I am not sure whether he has protection in Finland only or as per the Community Plant Variety Rights (EU) whereby it is protected throughout the EU. 

I personally have no issue with it.  If a breeder has legitimately applied his mind and rsources to a project and can prove it is sufficiently different from the parent varieties then good on on them.  They deserve spome degree of protection during which to reap the rewards of their efforts.

It is our choice whether or not we want to support such individuals.  I do think that someone like Fatalii.net have gone a long way to increasing chili culture in their little patch of the globe and I tip my hat to them.  In fact I think he's quite an inspiration for a new generation of gardeners and entrepeneurs.   have been contemplating acquring seeds of his Fatalii range.  It's helluva expensive for me but I would like to see what he has achieved.

Peter I support seed traders the world over (including yourself) and if someone has something special that they feel is worth a premium then so be it - if I want it then I have to pay their premium.

I know this is a bit of a thread-jack sorry Grimmpepper!

Cheers

Robin

The funny thing is 99% of the plants that are protected are for growing cuttings from not breeding and making your own seeds, but Monsanto gets to sue people and win  when the wind blows there GMO pollen to there farms, and they can't sue and win against Monsanto for making there seeds GMO.  I understand having a right to make money on Co's hard work making a new color or what not in plants, and keeping others from making money off there work, but other then Monsanto there's no other seed co I know of that can control seeds..   

@Robstar,

Finland is not the country where you can make a tour and collect some new peppers, so Jukka has been supported all the years by people around the world sending him there new varieties.

Although I´m living at a much better place of the world to grow peppers and to look for some hidden varieties, I´m also very happy, when my friends around the world send me new varieties.
But it´s a case of getting and giving back and if I have nothing new for my buddies I give it back to the whole community trying my best to have true to type seeds available at very reliable conditions.
I never (never) would have the idea to claim a PVP and to sell a single seed for 2$ ore more.

I would go so far to say that´s not ok to support such people, because if their business plan works, we come to something Monsanto like that nobody wants.

The last shirt doesn´t have pockets !!

Peter

It would be easier to deal with Monsanto if it was a person and not a multi conglomerate giant that has no respect for the rights of the common good, what really gets me is that the USDA along with Bayer and Monsanto are working hand in hand as they look at it for the betterment of man kind, like developing plants that produce certain kinds of medical drugs, that part is not the problem, its the fact that these GMO plants can cross with other plants thus contaminating the plant for any type of consumption, I for one would not want to eat a bell pepper or a tomato that had crossed with a pepper or tomato that was developed to make insulin or blood thinner and not know it.. Thats part of the problem with them I have nothing against plant breeder developing super hybrids so long as they us conventional methods I have seeds of a purple tomato that was developed to have high antioxidants thus the purple coloring, it started out as a hybrid cross with a wild tomato species the cross was within the species while in UK a unstable cross was may by gene splicing a tomato gene with a gene from a flowering plant I think it was a Petunia.
Since it was unstable they dropped the project or at least that is what the article read. GMO plants sound good and there may in fact be some good to come out from all this, but studies now being done in countries where Monsanto and their sub companies have sold various plant materials and the studies show that more harm has come from GM plants than what there would have been if the farmers had used seed and planting methods that were normally used. All this points to the fact that there needs to be more long term studies done before we let GMO product be released into the market. Sorry about the ranting, I try not to get involved in discussions like this, but when the heath of my grand kids might be harmed from eating food products that have been contaminated by GMO products, I get a little crazy.

Back