• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Patio Peppers Growing in Edison, NJ

Silver_Surfer said:
That's one beaut of a plate of pods FE. Nice arrangement of colors.
Thanks Surfer! I was quite happy with this harvest. I've had less than stellar results with the earthbound peppers, aside from the thai and fatalii, but i have faith for 2010.

So i'm prepping to start some seeds in a couple weeks. I've upgraded my lighting method a tad and like the results. It's still ghetto as hell, but i had good luck last year. No reason this year should be any different. First step was to build it and it cost less than $10 (and totally stolen from this board from someone). It's all PVC an a few pieces of nylon rope. The wife doesn't care for the looks of it, so check out her handiwork on the 2nd photo. This was the compromise for having it in the house for the winter months.

2 10' pieces of PVC, some connectors, ropee, and a dremel.
18174_257014063093_616883093_3124643_1834435_n.jpg

Annnd...my light cozy
18174_257034238093_616883093_3124771_4409084_n.jpg

Looking good Fine! I love the wife's touch man.

You can't beat PVC can you? I used it last year myself and currently have some lights set up kind of like yours. No fancy cover though.

Good luck to you!

patrick said:
Looking good Fine! I love the wife's touch man.

You can't beat PVC can you? I used it last year myself and currently have some lights set up kind of like yours. No fancy cover though.

Good luck to you!
i had to laugh when she came out with fabric and a tape measure, but if it keeps her happy, i'm cool with it.

i still need to figure a better raise/lower method. i was going to use chains and still may. maybe those kind they use on swingsets and just cut a groove the size of one link and just count the links? i dont know.

With the light rig completed, i finally sowed my first seeds. I did the same thing i did last year and used Pro-Mix as the medium and wet them with plain tap water and some liquid seaweed. I had good results last year so i'm keeeping it going. Next watering i will add a drop of Superthrive, but than it's plain water until we get some true leaves.

Here's what we got going. I owe HUGE thanks to all the THP members i traded with last year. Much of this is due to you and i'm very thankful!
seedsfeb72010.jpg

edit:
Don't bother growing the nipple fruit. It's poisonous. I only realized after i planted the damn seeds and i paid good money for them to find out that all they are good for is a laugh and perhaps as laundry detergent.

and we're off! These are tomatoes. Cherry and Black Russian according to my map.
18474_303764573093_616883093_3285767_5530655_n.jpg

And the first pepper!It's a baby yellow scotch bonnet.
18474_303774828093_616883093_3285802_5868394_n.jpg

Yes, it does look like the little guys are leaning toward the light. I'm working to fix this. The lights are 3-4 inches above, so i don't expect much leaning. Last season the light was a good 10" over them and i still had solid plants. I'd adding at least one more light, possibly 3 more total. I just need to find a good adapter to plug all these lights in.

Lighting is on a 12 on/12 off schedule, with the on at 6am and the off at 6pm. That roughly matches sunup and sundown. They will be fully acclimated to the seasons by the time of the last frost.

btw...morre peppers came up. some seeds i got from my hydroponic shop guy came up, as did some THP sourced aribibi gusano. 2010 is in full swing!

Back