• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Thanks Millman. Pretty sure it's a reciprocal thing.

John it is great to see you here. You get that list put together yet?
Thanks Patrick it is good to be here.Sorry but i need to be refreshed with the list as i am drawing a blank but have had a lot on my mind lately.lol.

John,

I replied to your thread about what grows good in Florida and was suggesting you put together a list of what seeds you wanted. Hope you don't mind but I've put a package together for you and it's already in the mailbox. Enjoy!

John,

I replied to your thread about what grows good in Florida and was suggesting you put together a list of what seeds you wanted. Hope you don't mind but I've put a package together for you and it's already in the mailbox. Enjoy!

I am sorry Patrick i obviously missed it and apologize.See i told you my mind has been cluttered this week.lol.
I trust your judgement and will be looking for the package to arrive and i thank you for your generosity.I went to home depot and bought some jiffy pots and some echo earth to start the seeds in and am ready to go.Thanks Again Patrick.

Sorry to see you got those nasty aphids! Sure hope they are all dead now.That alaskan humus stuff is supposed to be really great, never tried it though. LOVE the potting up trick!

It's update/picture time!!

Got a bum hip that's been acting up lately so I'm slower than usual at getting the plants potted up. They ain't complaining too loud so I guess everything is OK

I decided to let the sun take over light duties instead of building another light rack so some of the peppers are getting a bit leggy, mostly the annuums.

Here's a pic of the right side of the ones I have potted up to one gallon containers.

018800x600-1.jpg

The left side....

023800x600.jpg

These are the remaining C. chinense that I need to pot up. The smaller ones in the front row are ones I started later than the others.

025800x600-1.jpg

And here are the annuums. These guys got put by the window much earlier than the rest and whoa baby did they do some reaching for the sky.

028800x600-1.jpg

I'm going to end up with about 50 plants total.

wow.... those look beautiful! I have finally been able to get mine closer to the lights.. about an inch.. to 1 1/2 .. my wife loves tomatoes.. so since hers and mine shared the space.. they grew huge.. while most of mine stayed smaller and i had to raise the lights for hers.. Toms are potted up now and in the green house.. so i got all the light need now. Happy Gardening!

Very healthy pepper starts as usual, the ones in the window look great for moving outside when the weather warms enough. I don't know what types of annums you got but your gonna need a trellis just to support those harvests. May is almost here and hope you can get your plants outside sooner than later. Wishing you a productive pepper season and good health. :halo:

Patrick.. Im blown away on how tall you get your plants in those cups in particular the annums and they are so nice and green. What the hell are you using to feed them? Just awesome bro

Very nice P!

Thanks for keeping your thread updated with photos. It's nice to see the progression.

Thanks everyone. Now you know why I like to post photos--you all say the nicest things. :lol:

Cappy the annuums are Chapeau de Frade and Espelette Basque. The Chapeau has this wonderful smell to it. Almost like a smokey pepper. First time for both, looking forward to them. Our last frost day is May 15. I'm going to start hardening them off this weekend if the sun decides to come out.

Madman I'm feeding them Chilli Focus at 75% strength and Schultz Plant Food plus at 25% strength. I feed once a week when I water. The growing medium has Pro Mix HP, worm castings, Alaskan humus, and Happy Frog Soil Conditioner.

Thanks everyone.

Update time!

I just finished the one gallon pot up. Didn't get to all of the plants but I'm finished. The temps look like I can start moving things outside where I'll be putting them into 5 gallon, 7 gallon or larger pots so I decided there's nothing wrong with going from a 20 oz cup to the end pots. Going to skip the middle man.

Figured I put up a few pics so anyone interested can see where the plants are now in comparison to last weeks photos.

Here's a group shot at the front window. The ones closest to the window have been there the longest. They have gotten a little leggy but the growth compared to the ones that remained under the florescent lights amazes me. Nothing beats the sun baby.

003800x600-3.jpg

A few solo shots with the first one an Orange Bih Jolokia. First time I've ever grown this one, looking forward to it.

012800x600-3.jpg

One of my all time favorites and what I've always considered one of the meanest lookin' chili's out there. Thanks Cappy.

016800x600-3.jpg

Another one of my favorites the Barrackpore 7 pod.

029800x600.jpg

More to come....

Here's one of those crazy Annuums I've got growing.

013600x800.jpg

Already starting to do the heavy work.

015800x600-3.jpg

And what's left to pot up not including the annuums. Notice how they're all staring at the sun?

033800x600.jpg

I'm hoping to start hardening off this weekend. Temps look nice and warm but they're calling for an occasional thunderstorm. We shall see. Man I can hardly wait.

Back