• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Your plants look really nice Patrick! and huge!
I'm glad to hear your weather is starting to cooperate.
I know you gotta be stoked the let them babies get some outside time!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

I did get a few of those long legged annuums into their final pots today. Gave them about half an hour of sun then into some shade. Wasn't in a real hurry today so only got around to five of them. I still have three of them left to do including the longest legged pepper I think I've ever had. Kind of wanted to see how long she would grow in the 20 oz cup.

Here she is, my Chapeau de Frade.

005800x600-4.jpg

From the top of the dirt to the top of her buds she is 36.5 inches tall, that's almost 93 cms to our metric friends. I'll probably move her into the final grow pot tomorrow. I'm starting to feel sorry for her roots.

Patrick, To get them that tall in those cups is a great accomplishment. Its time to release the hounds and get those babies into the big pots my friend! Besides dude the Tarantula's cant even see them anymore :lol: .

Wow Patrick,that Chapeau de Frade is amazing!
3 feet tall in that cup is absolutely incredible.
I can only imagine how big that plant will get once you get it potted up! :dance:

Kevin

Thanks guys.

Like Millman said I'll stick them pretty deep into the dirt when I pot them up. Probably remove the bottom leaf and go just past it. I got a few more into their final pots today and then danged if the sun didn't warm things up a little too much. I guess we got our regular spring already this year, believe it was last Tuesday through Friday. Now it's summer time. Man I hate the weather in Nebraska.

It's going to be bad. Ugly. Depressing.

I have about 20 plants outside. Tonight is their second night out. We just had a thunderstorm move through. High winds, heavy rain and about an inch of pea sized hail. I can see my one and only Brain Strain from my front door. It was about two feet tall with lots of huge leaves. From what I can now see it's a slim, leafless stem about 16 inches tall. Completely devastated. I can see a few more but I don't want to put a light on them for now. I'll post some pics tomorrow if I can stand it.

Man this sucks.

Yep Millman you remember correctly. I think the plants were a little farther along last time.

We all know too well Ol' Ma Nature has a temper. I must have pissed her off lately. Here's a few pics of what she can do when she's in a foul mood.

Some random pics:

These should survive fine and go on to grow some pods
013800x600-4.jpg

015800x600-4.jpg

These may not survive:

018800x600-5.jpg

And finally my one and only Brain Strain:

020800x600-4.jpg

I still have about 20 different plants in the house to get outside.

Sorry to hear that patrick. Hope it's not too bad. :pray:

Edit: Just saw the pics - so sorry my friend. :(

Sorry patrick does not describe how pissed off you get when something like this happens to your plants that you've cared for so long. I do think you will be suprised how fast your plants recover and new growth for all the lower nodes will make for so bushier plants. You have a root system established and you just need some new green growth even on your brain strain, good luck patrick. :pray:

We all know too well Ol' Ma Nature has a temper.

Dang Patrick that really sucks bud, that same storm kicked north just before getten to us in iowa, however it looks like we might not be so lucky today starting to storm as i type. the last few days i have been keepin 1 eye on the plants and the other on th radar its that time of year here in the midwest a moster storm can brew up in matter of minutes.

your plants were very stong they will bounce back besides they have 1 of the best caring for them :)

wow tarantula dude,
that is a mean amount of ice damage
:(
if i found myself there in that i would try to move ahead.

i think you should get some rooting compound and try to root
EVERY broken off stem and cut off any damaged ones you have
to increase your number of plants
as if the ice storm were an integrated component of your propagation efforts :eek:
you may first need to get some rooting powder
(they sell schultz brand at walmart for like $2.50)
follow the directions and try to root and grow all the damaged stems

Serious beat down by Ms. Nature. Hoping they all come back with equal vengeance. Interesting idea, rooting the broken stems.... :cool:

Back