• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Thanks guys! I'm working up the nerve to try the Choco T.S. I have a feeling it may be a bit so good thing I had a few that still need to ripen.

Things are definitely looking up in the ripening department. I picked these just now and have many times these on the verge of picking. This has got to be one of the warmest Octobers we've have in the 23+ years I've been in Nebraska.

DSC010541550x1163.jpg

I am one happy guy!

Thanks guys! I'm working up the nerve to try the Choco T.S. I have a feeling it may be a bit so good thing I had a few that still need to ripen.

Oh C'mon Patrick! Just cut that beast open, take a big bite, and hold on. You never know, it may taste like a snickers....

Hey Nate, the rusty colored one is a MadballZ cross. I believe the cross was found by Madhatter while they, Madhatter and Ballzworth, were doing some noshing one evening at Ballzworth's place. Guess it about burned their faces off. They graciously gave me some seeds and I grew three of them this year. Very prolific plants. Get you some seeds.

Well the weather guessers are shooting for the mid to low 30's tonight so I went to picking anything that was showing any color. I stashed a few plants in the garage for overnight safety. Still have twice as many green ones left on the plants as the ones I picked. Hopefully the old banana in the paper bag trick will finish the ripening process for these babies.

DSC010811550x1163-1.jpg

Still a nice harvest, patrick. Hopefully they will ripen with the tric, but isnt that pure the color that changes or does also the taste changes when you ripen it like that?

Hope the freeze didn't happen and you get a few more weeks of nice weather. I pick pods like your that are just starting to ripen and never had a problem with them finishing turning ripe on the table as long as they just show a little color before you pick them. It is the all green pods that have no color change that refuse to ripen. Nice harvest patrick great job on your season.

Hope the freeze didn't happen and you get a few more weeks of nice weather. I pick pods like your that are just starting to ripen and never had a problem with them finishing turning ripe on the table as long as they just show a little color before you pick them. It is the all green pods that have no color change that refuse to ripen. Nice harvest patrick great job on your season.

Thanks for the tip, I didnt know that :)

Thanks for the compliments and weather wishes guys.

Thanks for the info Cappy. I thought as much but it's good to hear it coming from a pro. I believe the low temp this morning was 40F. Tuesday the weather guessers are saying 32F and Wednesday 29F. After that nothing below 40 for a few days. How those people keep their jobs I don't know. ;)

Great looking harvest Patrick! Definitely stretching the season. Plenty of heat on that table, even if they may take a few days to mature.

Matt

Had a bunch of ripe peppers sitting in the fridge that needed to be dehydrated. So I cut them up, saved a bunch of seeds and got them into the dehydrator. The house is smelling oh so yummy.

Here's the before shot:

DSC010911550x1163.jpg

and here's the ready for the dehydrator shot:

DSC011011550x1163.jpg

Picked out a couple of pods to show off too.

Here's the interior of one of the 7 Pot Jonah crosses

DSC010861550x1400.jpg

Huge amount of placenta in these.

Finally the insides of a few Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate AISPES pods. These babies were leaving wet spots on the table.

DSC010951550x1163.jpg

Juicy monsters.

Yeah the entire house smells yummy!

Justaguy I use an STX Dehydra DEH-004 600-Watt dehydrator I got off of Ebay three years ago. My first one. Don't know squat about them. A lot of the guys use the Excalibur brand but I couldn't drop the cash for one of those. I have zero complaints with this one and it's done every job I've asked of it. They have a newer, more powerful one out now. Check Ebay for them. Mine was $99.

We hit 32F this morning and the weather folks are saying 29 tomorrow morning. I've garaged several plants that have a lot of green pods left on them hoping to get a few more ripe ones. One that I didn't have room for, and this breaks my heart, is the MadballZ cross. It too had a lot of green on it and with the cold temps due in the next few hours I had to make a decision. So I picked the pods on it. I figure I'll either make a green powder or ferment them and make a green sauce.

DSC011261550x1147.jpg

Unless of course they happen to ripen. There may have been a few that looked like they were starting to turn. Guess I'll try an experiment.

Another one I contemplated putting in the garage was my one and only Trinidad Scorpion Butch T plant. All but a couple of the smaller, under developed pods were showing signs of ripening so I just decided to pick the plant naked. Here's what I ended up with:

DSC011341550x1163.jpg

My first time growing these. Seeds came from Judy aka PepperLover here on the site. I haven't noshed on one yet. :scared:

Patrick, that picture of the Butch T's is spectacular. Thanks for sharing :cool:

Now move to Florida and grow outdoors all year :lol: Way too cold :hell:

Had a bunch of ripe peppers sitting in the fridge that needed to be dehydrated. So I cut them up, saved a bunch of seeds and got them into the dehydrator. The house is smelling oh so yummy.

Here's the before shot:

DSC010911550x1163.jpg

and here's the ready for the dehydrator shot:

DSC011011550x1163.jpg

Picked out a couple of pods to show off too.

Here's the interior of one of the 7 Pot Jonah crosses

DSC010861550x1400.jpg

Huge amount of placenta in these.

Finally the insides of a few Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate AISPES pods. These babies were leaving wet spots on the table.

DSC010951550x1163.jpg

Juicy monsters.
Nice recovery from a tough spring looks like.Great looking pod shots of the Jonah cross and Choc Scorps.......so have you tried the Choc Scorp yet?

Back