• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Awesome Paul. Been really enjoying this thread. So full of information! Its like sitting in bio class.

OMG I hope you have good memories of biology :D , 'hunter!
Thanks for the good thoughts; I'm glad you are enjoying the gloginess!

Haven't been over here for a bit. You have been busy sir. In a couple years I will have time to do my own experiments.
Thanks for the insight on how much torture these guys can take.
Your time will come! I'll be waiting to see your results on the forum :) when you get started!
You will enjoy the omnicolor. Beautiful flowers..beautiful pods,and surprisingly tasty for an ornamental. Make sure you try them in all stages of ripening.

Thanks for the advice. If they look half as good as the photos, I'll
be thrilled! Good luck with your grow season, Pr0digal!

looks like your season is progressing nicely...nice plants...good luck this season...hope mother nature treats you well...

Thanks for the kind words, AJ, good growing to you, as well. Mother nature just
sort of proceeds in spite of my efforts to help! I'm counting on her to be kind ;)

Your plants are looking good Paul,....it's getting pretty exciting!

Greg

Thanks, Greg. I appreciate the advice and commentary you have provided since I
joined the forum, and am glad you are enjoying the happenings here. It has gone in
directions I didn't even consider at the beginning, thanks to the input and interest of
forum members. Here's to your success in the Windy City as Spring hesitantly peeks
around the corner!

Lots of little growth buds emerging at the leaf nodes of the plants,
especially the annuums. Some are taking off, like the Chiltepin:
DSCN3699aa.jpg

And the Black Pearl:
DSCN3700a.jpg

The cut-off stems' new growth is really taking off, too, becoming
small branches with real leaves. Here's the cayenne:
DSCN3695a.jpg

And the serrano. The companion plant is getting too
tall and leggy, am going to take a cutting from it
and leave the cut off stem in the pot solo:
DSCN3696a.jpg

Close up of the serrano:
DSCN3696aa.jpg

The yellow aji stem:
DSCN3697a.jpg

And yellow aji closeup:
DSCN3697aa.jpg

The clones in the trays are hanging on. Some droopy big leaves,
and a few cotyledons giving it up for their plants, but also I'm
seeing new growth in terms of new leaves forming and the
stems elongating on some of the clones. This is what I use to
examine all the plants in my garden, so it's possible for me to see
really teeny stuff. Every gardner needs one of these - mine's a 7x:
DSCN3681a.jpg

Helped me see this bug damage on one of my poblanos:
DSCN3682a.jpg

I hadn't even noticed it. I checked all the other plants and didn't see any
damage. Inspection with the 7x lens helped to see the edges were
brown and dry, so were chewed previously. The damage is minor, so
I isolated it for a night to check it out. I figure it was an itinerant of some
kind since there is no other damage or sign of bugs especially on that
luscious new growth on the cut stems!

BTW Siliman, one of your NuMex Twilight seeds hooked last night -
should pop up tomorrow!

You are obviously looking after your babies very well paul!!. They are certainly getting new growth at a good rate and look nice and sturdy to boot. If things continue like this you will be in for a bumper crop this coming season. Nice update!!

I didn't know the internet ate plants!!!
:lol:

You are obviously looking after your babies very well paul!!. They are certainly getting new growth at a good rate and look nice and sturdy to boot. If things continue like this you will be in for a bumper crop this coming season. Nice update!!
Thanks, Trippa. I'm holding my breath until I can get them into gallon pots
and start hardening them off in the greenhouse.

Gave everything a watering with AK fish today 1/8 strength, foliar and soil from the
top. I noticed some of the plants had root nodules poking out at the base of the stems
so thought I'd give them something to do. One mistake I made was having the fan
too close to the plants :oops: , lost a couple of leaves and made a couple of leggy plants
wobbly! Also gave everything a spray of dilute epsom salts later in the day.

As I was looking at the plants I noticed that one of the wild texas tepins
has a little branch forming low on the stem:
DSCN3706a.jpg

The yellow aji stem has some kind of growth tip coming out at the base
of the new branches - hard to see, but there:
DSCN3703a.jpg

This out to Siliman - here are the hooks from your NuMex Twilight
seeds!:
DSCN3705a.jpg

Hungarian Hot Wax seedlings putting out true leaves, and the little
red habanero, too:
DSCN3704a.jpg

Serrano stem - notice the partner has
gone to clonedom:
DSCN3701a.jpg

The cayenne stem - had to prop up the partner with a stick:
DSCN3702a.jpg

Okay everybody, have a nice day!

Wow Paul you've made some progress! I had a good 4 pages to catch up on, great stuff! cloning starts? thats freaking cool.. I had no idea you could do that to starts that young. Nice to keep in mind if I ever have plants that are too tall before plant out. You should have a great season. And it sure looks like your having some fun with it already, that's always a good thing. Hope all is well with you man. It was fun catchin up on your glog :D

Brandon

Wow Paul you've made some progress! I had a good 4 pages to catch up on, great stuff! cloning starts? thats freaking cool.. I had no idea you could do that to starts that young. Nice to keep in mind if I ever have plants that are too tall before plant out. You should have a great season. And it sure looks like your having some fun with it already, that's always a good thing. Hope all is well with you man. It was fun catchin up on your glog :D

Brandon

Thanks, Brandon, you always say nice things! Glad you enjoyed browsing. I'm not sure how the clones will do; I fully expect some of them not to make it. I would be really happy if 50% of them actually rooted and lasted into the growing season. The cut off stems have been amazing - the results should be some nice, stocky plants; definitely puts the brakes on those skyrocketing annuums! Have a good evening, buddy, your grow out is awesome.

So have you checked the rooting of the clones lately? Cause they are all looking healthy to my untrained eye! Congrats Paul looks like all the hard work and experiementing is paying off!

Thanks for browsing, Beehunter! I'm seeing lots of tiny new growth in the clones (too small to really photograph), which tells me there must be roots forming. I haven't taken apart a 'root' ball, yet. There are a few clones that don't look very robust, I have a feeling they won't make it, but who knows. The baccatums seem to be less inclined to the cloning, but they were treated a bit differently, so we'll see.

The seedlings are becoming plants; many are sending out growth buds at the leaf nodes.
The ornamentals, chiltepin, and tepins are the most active in that respect so far.

The cut off stems are developing into robust seedlings. I imagine I will wind up using these
when plant out time comes.

Serrano:
DSCN3707a.jpg

Cayenne:
DSCN3708a.jpg

Yellow Aji:
DSCN3709a.jpg

Looking good in your neck of the woods, PaulG! Glad the Twilight was able to complete your ornamental entourage. That test did force me to grow it again this year. (Final tally was 4 out of 5 germ on my side.) It will be a pretty plant and seems happy to be a small container, or will grow monster size free range.

Since I didn't fare well in germinating my Aji Rojo, I'm about to follow your lead to a clone a few cuttings from overwinter plant. I'll try a couple in the dirt and a couple in water. Thanks for your mad tips and the overall discussion of how-to-do.

You been checking temps in your greenhouse? That will really give you a big edge when it starts rockin.... :cool:

Looking good in your neck of the woods, PaulG! Glad the Twilight was able to complete your ornamental entourage. That test did force me to grow it again this year. (Final tally was 4 out of 5 germ on my side.) It will be a pretty plant and seems happy to be a small container, or will grow monster size free range.
Well, then, since I have two, I'll put one in a big container,
and one in a small one to overwinter! Thanks, bud, I hope
I'll be able to send you a pod or three just for fun!
Since I didn't fare well in germinating my Aji Rojo, I'm about to follow your lead to a clone a few cuttings from overwinter plant. I'll try a couple in the dirt and a couple in water. Thanks for your mad tips and the overall discussion of how-to-do.
Oh, great news! Not about the poor germination :lol:
I hope we get to see all the gory details :twisted: of your experiment
right here in glogland. Good luck, I hope it works!
You been checking temps in your greenhouse? That will really give you a big edge when it starts rockin.... :cool:

Right now it is still too cool at night. When I can count on 45-46 degree
nights, then I can feasibly keep it at 50 degrees with my little space heater.
When we've been getting sun breaks and partly cloudy days, the temps
have been getting up to 68-72. So not too far away. maybe. My fantasy
world has me going into the greenhouse after spring break :D Right.
Last year the peppers did well in the greenhouse even with the late Spring.
Thanks for the visit, Ken. Gort, klatu barata nicto.

Later: I checked the soil temperature in a number of separate pots; the range
was from 73 to 76. So, I wonder how long they hold the heat after the
lights go out?

I'm playing catch up with this thread; what a wealth of knowledge! I've been wracking my brain trying to decide on a mellow (AKA won't burn) fertilizer to start out with and I started digging through your grow log. I got to the part where you talk about the Alaska Fish Fertilizer (here) and I picked some up tonight. I'm going to be studying your method closely. Thanks for posting all the great info!

I'm playing catch up with this thread; what a wealth of knowledge! I've been wracking my brain trying to decide on a mellow (AKA won't burn) fertilizer to start out with and I started digging through your grow log. I got to the part where you talk about the Alaska Fish Fertilizer (here) and I picked some up tonight. I'm going to be studying your method closely. Thanks for posting all the great info!

Thanks for the kind words, Pash! The AK fish is good stuff, if a little smelly and funky to work with. I have been using it for more years than I care to think about. There are several other forum folk who have mentioned using it. The 3 Tbsp per gallon figure I mentioned is for shrubs. For general veggies, it's 2 Tbsp per gal; for my last batch, I mixed it at a 1/6 strength (1 tsp per gallon) since these plants are very young. I also watered from the top last time, and got the leaves nice and wet for a foliar application, then put them in the grow tent with the computer fans on for a half hour. When the flowering stage begins, I'll add some of their Mor-bloom (0-10-10) product to the fish oil to make a nice, balanced fertilizer (10-11-11).

a little smelly and funky to work with,

Yeah, I've done an application of some fish fertilizer, and although it was supposed to be "deodorized" it was still a bit fishy. My plants are growing in my home office, btw, so it's kind of funny...

Looking good as always Paul!

Yeah, I've done an application of some fish fertilizer, and although it was supposed to be "deodorized" it was still a bit fishy. My plants are growing in my home office, btw, so it's kind of funny...

Looking good as always Paul!

Thanks, Andy. I can relate. Our garage smells sort of fishy for a while after I use it :)

...Gort, klatu barata nicto....
Hehe, you got it. But are you sure its not "Gort, plateau, burrito, nicotine...?" It would be a shame to get it wrong and have the world vaporized.... :flamethrower:

Later: I checked the soil temperature in a number of separate pots; the range
was from 73 to 76. So, I wonder how long they hold the heat after the
lights go out?
I dunno--bigger pots would hold soil temp longer. But I was thinking more of 'day trips' to the bighouse with a flat or two when the conditions are right. I've been moving mine to an east window for a few minutes in the AM when the sun is right. Give the little guys a dose of things to come....

+hey, I like the groovy way to add red text in the middle of a quote. Somebody around here is...genius!

I know, S-man, I hate it when the world gets vaporized ;) Maybe just D.C.?

I'd like to put things in the greenhouse once in a while, but I still
have other stuff in there, and it's a hassle moving all the trays around
to the back yard. I have a couple of wire shelves I want to put on the
front porch when we finally start getting some sunny days above 60 :pray:

Back