• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

wonderful review Paul! That Devil's tongue surprised me most this year, I think. In part because I didn't expect anything out of it besides the shape. I was pleased with both the taste and the heat level (after all, it's nice to have some that are simply hot, not scorching). Glad you enjoyed the package. I'll point out again that your tolerance seems pretty high for a guy who wasn't going to grow any superhots this year.
You are right Andy, don't need a face melt every meal! Some of your offerings were as hot as 'the other place', for sure! I've always liked spicy foods, but the superhot plants mostly all came from Spankycolts when I helped him pot up a bunch of plants. So, my plan to avoid the superhots was thwarted! I had a Fatali/Savina last night that toasted my face pretty good.

Here's the pic of the Fatali/Savina. It's 2 or 3 times as big as the other
F/S pods I've sampled so far. That's a Cherokee Purple tomato next to
the wine glass. This was one hot pod. Immediate heat and subsequent
sniffles, and a pretty good forehead burn. I only ate 3/4 of the pod. First
one I haven't finished so far. Had it with a couple of quesadillas:
DSCN4805a_zps2d7d5aa7.jpg

Also sampled another of your pods the night before last, but it was
unlabeled so I don't know what it is. I thought it was a Manzano,
but the seeds are white, so I think it's not a c. pubescens.
DSCN4802a_zps8e883fd2.jpg

It had a ton of seeds inside:
DSCN4804a_zpsf1158dc5.jpg

The pod had very thick flesh, and a nice flavor.
DSCN4803a_zps3971cde8.jpg

The heat was a little less than medium, but very noticeable. The flavor
was hard to describe; combination of fruity/floral if that makes any sense.
It was more like eating a piece of hot fruit than a pepper, but it went well
with the meatloaf. I have two pods left to try; the Peach Bhut, and another
one that looks like a brown lobed tomato. Also lost the label for that one,
so don't know what it is, either! Anyway, the fun continues!

That looked like a "cherry bomb." It's a wonderful pepper and I love them stuffed with cream cheese. Not sure if you saved the seeds from those, but if you did they are a great plant. Your description of it being like a "hot fruit" is right on, I think. The brown lobed one, if it's not a habanero, is probably a chocolate cherry sweet pepper, which is not hot at all. It's like a mini-bell. Great taste. I stuff those as well. I'm guessing that's what you have. If you cut it open and it smells hot then it's either a douglah or chocolate habanero.

That looked like a "cherry bomb." It's a wonderful pepper and I love them stuffed with cream cheese. Not sure if you saved the seeds from those, but if you did they are a great plant. Your description of it being like a "hot fruit" is right on, I think. The brown lobed one, if it's not a habanero, is probably a chocolate cherry sweet pepper, which is not hot at all. It's like a mini-bell. Great taste. I stuff those as well. I'm guessing that's what you have. If you cut it open and it smells hot then it's either a douglah or chocolate habanero.
Thanks, bro! I did save the seeds from that pod. Maybe I'll have room
for one next Spring. What species is it? I'm sure the remaining pod is
the choc cherry sweet pepper. It's the last one left to try! I had the Peach Bhut
on a casserole the other night. I was a little bit wary of the bhut name, but the
pod was manageable with the meal. I'd say the effects were very similar to a
yellow 7 or the Fatali/Savina. Toasted my face pretty well. The usual suspects:
mouth burn, nostrils and forehead burn and sweaty, lip burn, of course. A little
bit of effect on my ears. Toasty feeling after meal lingered for awhile. No opportunity
for pix on that one, sorry.

I have a few more harvest pics, though. Will probably get another tomorrow. Will
have to refrigerate them until I get back from backpacking on Monday. We're heading
to Lake Lena, WA and points beyond on thursday, so I will be offline for awhile starting
Thursday the 27th.

IMG_9781a.jpg

IMG_9782a.jpg

IMG_9783a.jpg

IMG_9785a.jpg

IMG_9779a.jpg

Top to bottom; Yellow Wax, Chocolate Habanero, Cayenne, Congo Trinidad,
Fatali:
IMG_9784a.jpg

Those Fatalii/Red Savina's are good and have a nice heat. I just wish they had more Fatalii flavor.
I notice the more recent, larger pods have a more Fatali like shape, whereas
the earlier, smaller pods had a habanero appearance. Maybe the flavor will
follow suit? They are a potent package, for sure.

Got the dryer geared up for those pods:
IMG_9786a.jpg

IMG_9787a.jpg

IMG_9788a.jpg

After the drying, I picked up a 3 tiny pieces of dried pepper/placenta
laying in the bottom of the dehydrator and ground them up with my
teeth. Wow, a regular burn, and flavor from such teeny pieces; lasted
about 30 min!

Great harvest Paul love the color and heat combination in that bowl.
Thanks, my friend! I love the pepper colors, as well. they look great on the
bushes in the garden (or in the sanctuary!)

The cooler weather is starting to bring forth some other fruit. Always like to
see these growing in my containers. I'm wondering if my use of Mycos in the
Spring will increse the number of fungii that appear:
DSCN4827a.jpg

Have a good week, Fernando.

Paul! Looks like you're getting some podage! Nice reviews as always.

I noticed all of your pods are pretty smooth looking. For instance the bhuts and nagas. I've seen some pretty bumpy looking of both variety and was wondering what makes that difference in skin? You have any thoughts on that? I heard something recently concerning soil but can't remember specifics.

Good to see you're still working away!

Chili Cheers!

Glad to see you enjoying the fruits of your labor. The pods look amazing. :fireball: :dance: As usual I knew to eat before I checked on you and you still made me hungry. Terrific review

Paul! Looks like you're getting some podage! Nice reviews as always.

I noticed all of your pods are pretty smooth looking. For instance the bhuts and nagas. I've seen some pretty bumpy looking of both variety and was wondering what makes that difference in skin? You have any thoughts on that? I heard something recently concerning soil but can't remember specifics.

Good to see you're still working away!

Chili Cheers!
The light makes them look a little less bumpy than they are.
Some of the more recent pods seem bumpier. You could be
right, however!

We're winding down here. Just hoping for a few more weeks
of decent weather.

Thanks for visiting, brother!

Glad to see you enjoying the fruits of your labor. The pods look amazing. :fireball: :dance: As usual I knew to eat before I checked on you and you still made me hungry. Terrific review
Thanks, Pia. Hope you have a great weekend when it gets
here. Your grow is looking fantastic!

Nice as always
Thanks, my friend!

Your the man PaulyG! Lovin the reviews as always. What a dehydrator full eh!?
Hey Jamison. thanks for looking in.

Enough to tide me over for awhile. I put Andy's and JCR's mixed dried pods in
the grinder and made some coarse powder. OMG, they are amazing. I got a
little whiff, and sneezed five times, and have had nostril burn for two hours!
Going to take the flakes backpacking this weekend. Maybe some of the boys
would like to spice up their freeze dried meals a little!

Good growin' to you, buddy

Nice glog. :) Thanks Mega!

Dinner time looks entertaining at your place ;)
It has its moments :lol:

Okay, thanks for looking in all. Am going backpacking so will
be off line until Monday night. Have a great weekend, everyone

Hey Paul looking good big time! really enjoyed catching up on your glog. pretty crazy season you have had. But everything seems to have turned out alright. and its fungus hunting season over here as well!

Good looking pods you r getting Paul, how much longer do you have on your season now? I guess you could always just cover the back yard and throw a couple of blast heaters out there and keep it going :)

Just an amazing grow my brother. When I look at the peppers dehydrating it is like chile art at it's finest. Every pepper is perfectly sliced without a single blemish. They almost look to good to be true. That is why I ma requesting to see the finished powder ;)

Hey Paul looking good big time! really enjoyed catching up on your glog. pretty crazy season you have had. But everything seems to have turned out alright. and its fungus hunting season over here as well!
Thanks, Britt! The season is winding down, but we should get a few
more weeks of decent weather. I need to pull some pods today or tomorrow.

Is the balcony cleared, yet? Hope you manage(d) to get a few more pods.

Good looking pods you r getting Paul, how much longer do you have on your season now? I guess you could always just cover the back yard and throw a couple of blast heaters out there and keep it going :)

That is exactly what I'm going to do, Bill :liar: Thanks for the visit and the great idea!

I think we have enough season left to get some more ripe pods.
Cool nights, some down to high 40's but mostly low 50's. The days
have varied from 68 to mid 80's over the past several weeks. Right
now the days are mostly at the 70's and mostly sunny. Very pleasant
weather so far this Fall.

Just an amazing grow my brother. When I look at the peppers dehydrating it is like chile art at it's finest. Every pepper is perfectly sliced without a single blemish. They almost look to good to be true. That is why I ma requesting to see the finished powder ;)
As soon as I get my backpacking gear put away I'll get you those pics, Jamie :cool:
I'm pleased with the way things went this year for a start-up for the most part.

There is a blemish or two here and there, but for the most part, mold, pests, BER
and so on have not been much of an issue. Have lost only a few pods to chewers.

Looks like my Peruvian White Hab has a little bac (?) spot showing up; common here
in the cool damp weather but this dry summer has not seen too much of it. The little pods
are almost all ripe, so I'm going to harvest the pods and trim the plant today or tomorrow.
Most of the pods are a very pale yellow, almost ivory color.

Your grow looked great the last time I checked in - hopefully the decent growing
weather is continuing for you, my friend.

Looks great. Glad to see your plants still producing up in Oregon.
Yeah, we're still hanging in there, Brent. The lows have moderated to
the mid and low 40's, but the 10 day forecast shows days in 70's and
sunny, so we still have hope. The plants were hardened off to 34 degrees
last Spring, so I'm holding out hope for quite a few more ripe pods. I still
need to get out and pull a few and get some pix. I keep saying 'I'll do it today',
but haven't got to it yet!

Hope all is well in SoCal and your grow is going well, brah!
Have a great week in the garden!

Way to go Paul, another interesting glog. I like the photo of the Cherokee Purple, that looks like a 5-banger size Beefsteak! Wow and all those seeds from 1 pod. You could fill up an 80 x 100 ft plot with that amount...of plants.
Nice job with the dehydrator, the colors of the pods look fresh and bright......just like
this glog has been all season...
The harvesting's not over till the last pod has been picked......or accidently stepped on........CRUNCH!
Have fun with the wind-up of 2012

Greg

Hey Paul-
I have been behind on my browsing as of late, not uncommon for me -so I binge when I can!
Too many comments on the "catch up" to get in here-so I'll just throw a few out there:
1. Yellow Pointed Habs - look like Yellow Lanterns.
2. Those Rocotos and Congo Red are VERY FLESHY, AND JUICY LOOKING!
3. The White Peruvians are typical , they may "yellow" a bit though-I love them.
4. Gotta be climate issue as to the variations on some?'Course they all look juicy and buffed up shiny.
5.Awesome grow all around-lots of other comments, but they sall basically refer to the first 4 words in this sentence.
Glad its lunch time , I knew there would be some hunger inducing pics!
Have a good one ,
Dave

Back