• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Geez, guys and gals, I left the top spot open for almost a whole day!
Guess I'll just have to take it myself!

Not much to report. Really hot; 105F high :eek: today in my pepper patch
according to my remote device - a bit warmer than the forecast (98F).
I had to fill some trays three times today! Nights in mid 60's for a few days.

Habaneros are really starting to set lots of pods, ghost peppers
setting a few pods every day :party: , baccatums starting to set a few, Orange
Rocoto has 6 pods on it now - three about 2x golfball size and three
new ones. some ripening going on, but I want to wait a day or two
before updating with pics. Supposed to be pretty warm again tomorrow;
predicted mid 90's - too hot to be out taking pics in the sun :shocked:

I have been trying to dry some small pods (Black Pearl and Inca Red Drop)
in the greenhouse in mesh bags. Somebody can tell me if this is a stupid idea
or not. I can see that when the weather cools down, it will take too long
even in the greenhouse. They seem to be drying okay for the moment:
IMG_9602a.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the aerial assassins that frequent the yard. As near
as I can tell this is a female Cardinal Meadowhawk, Sympetrum illotum.
Also called a dusty skimmer. Apparantly wide spread from BC, Canada to
Chile and Argentina, although I haven't seen this one before in our yard:
IMG_9609a.jpg

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Nice looking poddage Paul! Glad to see the plants are really clickin for ya now! We had a hot one today! 93 for the high which is 20 degrees above normal temp lol

Man! Finally had the time to read through most of this Glog. Great job buddy, very inspiring :) I really enjoyed reading everything and have taken away quite a bit of good information. Keep up the great work.

Love the pic of the dragonfly! And that bag should work great for drying the pods. I strung mine up on string and hung them across my living room last year.

The bag may work...may not! Keep us posted! I've been seeing more "dragon flies" here lately too. They work my pool like its a pond. While looking up your Meadowhawk I learned that dragonflies are the fastest insects in the world and found this cool photo gallery...

http://www.birdspide...r-Invertebrates

Very cool gallery! I love dragonflies because they chase down mosquitoes, and anything that eats those guys is a friend of mine.

Hey Paul,
I see you did get that 100+ weather. The mesh bag sounds like a cool idea. I like to sun dry the small chili's. As long as the humidity is low they should dry fine. sometimes just setting them on a hot wooden window sill does the trick ,also. Can you steer that weather away from Chicago. I'm starting to enjoy the upper 80's...............lol

Greg

Not sure about the bag either, as long if the humidity isn't too high it might just work fine. The only times I air dried peppers was inside the house.

IMG_9593a.jpg

Maybe there is time for a few ripe ones by Fall!

The Naga Morich is really trying to pod up. There are a couple
about the size of the last joint of my little finger, and a lot that are
trying like heck to make it. If we have a few good days and they set,
there will be a decent amount on it! Whoop, whoop!!:
IMG_9594a.jpg
they're so cute, but they will definitely kick you arss when you eat them, happy growing bra :dance:

Loving the update paul. thats a mean looking bug. but she is very pretty. Like the way a pitbull can be pretty. hey is it not really humid in your greenhouse? would it be better to hang them where they get some wind as well as heat? i mean i gots no idea. just my thinks in. Keep the updates rolling big time.

Nice looking poddage Paul! Glad to see the plants are really clickin for ya now! We had a hot one today! 93 for the high which is 20 degrees above normal temp lol
Hey, Jon. Hope your nice weather has been continuing up in WA.
We've had a nice run here - looks like it will continue into the next
week or two. Thanks for the visit, my friend!

That warm sunny weather can only mean one thing: PODS!
Here's a couple of nice Fatalis in the making:
IMG_9612a.jpg

The Naga Morich (Spankycolts) is podding like crazy. MGold sent me some pods, a Naga among them,
so I ate it for dinner last night. If these pods turn out as well, they will be great!:
IMG_9613a.jpg

Man! Finally had the time to read through most of this Glog. Great job buddy, very inspiring :) I really enjoyed reading everything and have taken away quite a bit of good information. Keep up the great work.
If you waded through all this you must have perseverance to spare, my man!
I'm glad you found some worthwhile information in my humble glog. I must say,
however, it's the visitors that make it what it is. THP folk rock :party: Thanks for
looking, and reading, Au!

Here's a look at the Little Red Hab That Could; setting new pods constantly.
Hard to believe this plant forked when it was 1" tall after sitting in cotys for
seemingly weeks on end!:
IMG_9616a.jpg

The Fatali x Red Savina (Spankycolts) has been one of the best producers.
The first pods were small but tasty; the newer pods are five times bigger.
Oh yeah :fireball::
IMG_9617a.jpg

Okay - we're going out to dinner. Will continue this later. Thanks to all for your visits!

Love the pic of the dragonfly! And that bag should work great for drying the pods. I strung mine up on string and hung them across my living room last year.
Thanks, Stefan, good of you to drop in. So far the mesh bag is working well for the Black Pearls and Inca Red Drops; but we had three days in a row of 95F plus heat, so things dried fast. When the temps go down in the Fall and the humidity goes up, it won't be such a good solution. I don't think it would work for larger pods so well.

The supers are plugging along, setting a pod here and there. Here's a
Ghost (Spankycolts) pod that's looking promising:
IMG_9618a.jpg

This is another of Spankycolts' plants - a ghost pepper he labeled
'Casper'. These pods look very promising; Every pod a victory :
IMG_9619a.jpg

Fernando (SoCalChilehead) sent some Costeno Amarillo seeds a while
back. The plant is rockin' even with the late start; some pods beginning
to set:
IMG_9623a.jpg

The bag may work...may not! Keep us posted! I've been seeing more "dragon flies" here lately too. They work my pool like its a pond. While looking up your Meadowhawk I learned that dragonflies are the fastest insects in the world and found this cool photo gallery...

http://www.birdspide...r-Invertebrates
Hey, Shane. It will work in certain limited circumstances, but I'm not sure it is a go-to
method. High heat and low humidity are the keys there. Interesting factoid
about dragonflies; they are fun to watch for sure. Here are a couple of
more dragonfly links I ran across:
http://dirttime.ws/Dragonfly/Species.htm
http://www.whereartmeetstheheart.com/dghdragonfly.shtml
http://kern.audubon.org/dragonflies.htm

Thanks for the visit, my friend.

Speaking of insects and spiders, here are a couple of interesting pics.

A good spider helper snacking on some kind of bug. Kind of blurry since focus was
difficult:
DSCN4579a.jpg

Sometimes good spiders go bad. We like them when they kill evil
arthropods, but when they snack on our helpers, well...

Here a white crab spider dining on a honeybee :tear: :
DSCN4569a.jpg

Hey Paul,
I see you did get that 100+ weather. The mesh bag sounds like a cool idea. I like to sun dry the small chili's. As long as the humidity is low they should dry fine. sometimes just setting them on a hot wooden window sill does the trick ,also. Can you steer that weather away from Chicago. I'm starting to enjoy the upper 80's...............lol

Greg
Your wish is my command, buddy! Feel that 'cool' air yet? Our temps
have moderated; we are looking at mid 70's to low 80's for highs and
lows in high 50's to low 60's for the next ten days. Of course that can
change, but that sounds like good pepper growing weather! Hope you
are still swimming in pods, bro.

Thanks for the visit, Greg.

Another of Spankycolts' plants; this Bih Jolokia actually has a pod
or two on it:
IMG_9625a.jpg

Another shot of the Naga Morich:
IMG_9626a.jpg

Not sure about the bag either, as long if the humidity isn't too high it might just work fine. The only times I air dried peppers was inside the house.
Our house doesn't have much southern exposure except in the morning, so drying pods in a sunny window is more difficult. I'll just use the dehydrator for the bulk of the drying. Thanks for looking MF, how's the little one doing?

The Congo Trinidads just keep packing on the pods:
IMG_9628a.jpg

The Bishop's Crowns have finally started to set pods; long way to go
here:
IMG_9629a.jpg

Yellow Ajis have a few nice pods going. Looks like a bug tried to take a
nibble on the left pod. Good ol' Neem:
IMG_9632a.jpg

Good to see so many pods coming for you Paul! Nice critter pics as well. Do you think that honey bee tastes sweet? Either way, you have to be impressed by that spider, who attacks something over twice its size that can fly and sting. The Bishop's crowns are one of my favorite plants - I hope my pods start ripening soon, they take awhile. Pretty flowers though, aren't they?

Lookin' good!

Pics looking good. Critters and peppers. Agree with Pulpiteer about the spider and the bee.

I caught the part about your red hab plant forking when it was an inch tall. I've got a ?Moruga that I think is forking at about 2".

Love the dragon fly pic Paul. I always enjoy seeing pics of the "helpers". Even more so if they are devouring the "bad guys!" ;)
I'm with you, brothah! As you can see it doesn't always work out that way!

I'm missing that 100 degree heat now that I'm in the UK, enjoy it and the air conditioning for me. ;)
The 100 degree heat isn't my favorite, but from what I understand UK
weather makes even that look good! Try not to mold, Binford!

Let me know about the peppers in the mesh bag. Sounds like a good idea.

So far so good, but when the cool Fall weather starts, I'm afraid it won't work so well.
Hope you are having a good week, Pia. Grow strong! Hope your yucky health
downer is a thing of the past.

they're so cute, but they will definitely kick you arss when you eat them, happy growing bra :dance:
You are probably right, Eric! Hope the Hawai'i weather is treating you kindly!
BTW, there will be a treat for you a little farther down the glog! Hopefully tonight!

Loving the update paul. thats a mean looking bug. but she is very pretty. Like the way a pitbull can be pretty. hey is it not really humid in your greenhouse? would it be better to hang them where they get some wind as well as heat? i mean i gots no idea. just my thinks in. Keep the updates rolling big time.
Yeah, Britt, pretty in an alien sort of way ;) a face only a mother could love!
The greenhouse has roof vents that open, so there is air flow. When it's really
warm, I leave the vents open 24/7, and open the door during the day as well.

Thanks for looking, buddy!

Those spankycolts look yummy!
Yeah, Spankycolts laid some nice plants on me after we potted up a gob
of his grow last Spring. Mostly Jolokia types, but a couple of neat habs, as well.

Good growin' your way, Stefan!

Are those f2's??

Sorry, Guy, I can't answer your question since Spankycolts gave me this one
and I didn't think to ask.

Good to see so many pods coming for you Paul! Nice critter pics as well. Do you think that honey bee tastes sweet? Haha Either way, you have to be impressed by that spider, who attacks something over twice its size that can fly and sting. The Bishop's crowns are one of my favorite plants - I hope my pods start ripening soon, they take awhile. Pretty flowers though, aren't they?

Lookin' good!
Things are progressing slowly but surely here in the PacNW. Yeah, spiders
are pretty awesome predators, especially these guys that stalk and ambush
their prey. Glad they are really small!

I'm not sure my Bishop's Crowns have time to grow and ripen; just hoping at this point.

Good of you to visit, Andy!

Pics looking good. Critters and peppers. Agree with Pulpiteer about the spider and the bee.

I caught the part about your red hab plant forking when it was an inch tall. I've got a ?Moruga that I think is forking at about 2".
Thanks, Doc! It is amazing how some plants develop in their own way; always
something interesting going on! Hope your plants are doing well, bud.

Here's a closer view of some of those red Hab pods:
IMG_9634a.jpg

This view of the Fatali/Savina shows the density of it's pods:
IMG_9635a.jpg

Here's a Peruvian White Hab. The first pods were small round ones,
but the later pods are starting to look more like habs:
IMG_9639a.jpg

Congo Trinidad clone, #1 container:
IMG_9640a.jpg

Yellow Aji from Peruvian seed finally flowering:
IMG_9643a.jpg

Here ya go, Shane; the Goat's Weed from your seed is starting to flower!: