• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

Hi Friend. Lots of people are still in recovery mode. Lots of people are still in shelters and so forth. As for us in this area, we have recovered minus a few holes from where trees used to be. The garden looks like crap as I didnt get a chance to pull anything before the storm and subsequent freeze. I am putting up my grow list though so I feel better about the garden. :fireball:

Hi Paul
No... I'm at G-day minus 2... seeds go in to soak on Saturday. I'm just trying to get all the prep work done before that. Cleaning/sterilizing the seed flats, setting up the shelves/lighting, digging out the heat mat and mixing up the seed starter medium. I'm going to try a few new things this year too... LED lighting, growing some of my superhots in pots and soaking in a saltpeter solution before germinating. Sounds like all the fun you can stand, Rick!

I'll be interested in seeing how your SB/Hab experience goes for sure since I'm not going to be able to achieve that kind of scope this year. I'll be growing Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros because I liked the taste of the ones I got at the agricultural fair last September, and they tell me that they're very productive and have a shorter growing season than other Habs.
The Pointed Yellow Habaneros are early producers, as well,
and very productive. I can send you some seeds if you would
like to try them. They were OP and next to the Congo Trinidad,
for what it's worth.

Hi Friend. Lots of people are still in recovery mode. Lots of people are still in shelters and so forth. As for us in this area, we have recovered minus a few holes from where trees used to be. The garden looks like crap as I didnt get a chance to pull anything before the storm and subsequent freeze. I am putting up my grow list though so I feel better about the garden. :fireball:
I can imagine how the garden must have looked after all that. I'm glad you
are getting to planning the garden; good luck getting everything cleaned up
in the Spring!

I should have posted these pics before, for those who didn't
see the grow shelf toward the end of my 2012 glog. The 'doors'
and end pieces are the same kind of material Shane made his
grow box/closet from. Not quite ghetto, but maybe ghetteaux :
DSCN5139a.jpg

The box is approximately 8' long, 15" deep, and enough height for plants to get up to
about 12-15" tall from soil top to light, adequate for chinenses, but a bit short for some
annuums and baccatums; they will need pinching. There are two 4' double T12 6500K
flourescent tubes for light and heat. Also two computer fans to blow air around a little
to help the stems get strong and thick when the seedlings start growing.
DSCN5138a.jpg

The lights can be raised or lowered on the hanger chains. Right now they are about 2" (5cm) above
the domes, and maintain about 84˚ (29C) under the domes:
DSCN5137a.jpg

Dam I’m late to the party … at least I made it and I’m excited to see how it goes as I enjoy seeing the pics and reading your detail, very impressive ... btw thanks for your support :) Now down to business, how are those OW’s holding up? You best take good care of them as I’m waiting to read and see you bobsai dem :D

wow Paul, already getting a head start on me :) day two of the glog, and you already have two pages!
Just dropped in to give an update... First semester down (three A's and a B) and 80000 semesters to go (ok maybe 10 or 11 but still).

About to read all of yours and get caught up on your grow. hope all is well friend.

Dam I’m late to the party … at least I made it and I’m excited to see how it goes as I enjoy seeing the pics and reading your detail, very impressive ... btw thanks for your support :) Now down to business, how are those OW’s holding up? You best take good care of them as I’m waiting to read and see you bobsai dem :D
Hey, WG! The OWs are holding their own. They don't grow out very
fast in the greenhouse due to the cool nights, but they all have indications
of new growth coming out. I'm hoping they all survive, but knowing
gardening, that's a stretch!

wow Paul, already getting a head start on me :) day two of the glog, and you already have two pages!
Just dropped in to give an update... First semester down (three A's and a B) and 80000 semesters to go (ok maybe 10 or 11 but still).

About to read all of yours and get caught up on your grow. hope all is well friend.
Thanks, Ken, things are good here. We're getting used to life without dad
around the house. Time seems to go pretty fast these days!
Congratulations on your success in the Master's program!
You make us all proud, buddy. How's your heat holding out?

The Pointed Yellow Habaneros are early producers, as well,
and very productive. I can send you some seeds if you would
like to try them. They were OP and next to the Congo Trinidad,
for what it's worth.

Thanks for the offer Paul, but I think I'll pass for now. If you want to do a pod swap later so we can check out each others new varieties I'd be down with that.

Seeing your grow shelf in action is the schnitzel my friend! It looks very compact and at a handy height. What are your overnight low temperatures in your garage like as compared to the inside of the grow shelf?

Thanks man! Nice looking glist. So far so good on the heat front :). I quit selling powder, and made 3 or 4 gallons of sauce. I'm going to try to keep some of the garden going over winter (they've survived two frosts so far and not being watered for four months...) and so hopefully I'll have some pods this summer :). Sitting on about a pound and a half of powder as well as about 3lbs of frozen pods. I recently made a gallon of spicy bbq sauce... I'm quite liking that too. going to bbq some pork tonight and see how well it actually bbqs haha.

I have two roomates, one is too afraid to try a jalapeno (or black pepper =x ), and the other is willing to try spicier stuff, but nothing superhot, so hopefully I can bring some of my frozen pods back to NC with me in a couple weeks and get him interested as well.

Thanks for the offer Paul, but I think I'll pass for now. If you want to do a pod swap later so we can check out each others new varieties I'd be down with that.

Seeing your grow shelf in action is the schnitzel my friend! It looks very compact and at a handy height. What are your overnight low temperatures in your garage like as compared to the inside of the grow shelf?
No problem, Rick; we'll hook up for sure next Fall!
The night temps in the garage have been about 59
during the past 6 days of mid-to-upper 20's nighttime
lows. The grow shelf got down to 68-ish this same
period, and the germination dome temperatures got
down to about 80. So, as you can see, there is some
temperature variation due to ambient garage temp
fluctuations; maybe 4-5 degrees in the grow shelf unit,
and maybe 10 degrees in the garage. The foam insula-
tion moderates the change, I suppose.

Look at you Paul, that grow shelf you built is top notch! Glad to see you kicking off the 2013 season already, looking forward to lots more pics, especially of that amazingly well kept yard of yours! :D Best of luck to you this year friend!

nice,i like that shelf. cangt wait to see everything grow huge! good luck this year.
Thanks for the good energy, brother!
Hope your Spring weather is just perfect down there!

Best of luck Paul that is a very impressive grow log! Should keep you busy and then some!
Thanks, Lourens, I've been enjoying yours as well.
They can become a bit of a time sink; however, it's
a labor of love!

I like the setup Paul...........that's exactly how I'd do it .
I'll take that as the final seal of approval, Greg!
Thanks, bro.

The grow shelf turned out great. I can hear the seeds-a-poppin' from here!
I hope you are right, Brent! I always walk on egg shells for about two
weeks this time of year. Can't relax until I see some hooks.

Thanks man! Nice looking glist. So far so good on the heat front :). I quit selling powder, and made 3 or 4 gallons of sauce. I'm going to try to keep some of the garden going over winter (they've survived two frosts so far and not being watered for four months...) and so hopefully I'll have some pods this summer :). Sitting on about a pound and a half of powder as well as about 3lbs of frozen pods. I recently made a gallon of spicy bbq sauce... I'm quite liking that too. going to bbq some pork tonight and see how well it actually bbqs haha.

I have two roomates, one is too afraid to try a jalapeno (or black pepper =x ), and the other is willing to try spicier stuff, but nothing superhot, so hopefully I can bring some of my frozen pods back to NC with me in a couple weeks and get him interested as well.
JCR! Glad you are still in the heat. That should last you about 6 weeks!
Good luck making 'converts' out of your roommates! Take care, friend!

Look at you Paul, that grow shelf you built is top notch! Glad to see you kicking off the 2013 season already, looking forward to lots more pics, especially of that amazingly well kept yard of yours! :D Best of luck to you this year friend!
Hi, Melissa! Good to hear from ya. Thanks for the positive
vibes, my friend,
It looks like your own grow is already in high gear! Way to
power grow, girl!

Hi Paul , nice germ box mate , the babys should love it in there , one mistake i made with my shelves is i didnt give them enough circulating air and i got a bit of edema , i had never herd of edema until i posted pics on thp and compmodder explained what it was .

Keep up the good work mate.

Hi Paul , nice germ box mate , the babys should love it in there , one mistake i made with my shelves is i didnt give them enough circulating air and i got a bit of edema , i had never herd of edema until i posted pics on thp and compmodder explained what it was .

Keep up the good work mate.
Hey, Todd, thanks for dropping in. You are right about the air/humidity
issue in a closed space like that. I try to water 'just enough' and make
sure it gets aired out regularly. Good growin' going into Spring in Oz!

Really nice grow shelf there Paul, gives you the space you need to get the grow going without loosing the space of a grow room. I'd say you have really great planning and organization skill or at least a really neat sock drawer :)

I can't wait to see you get really good and started with some good eats thrown in for good measure.

I'll be following, good growing brother.
Bill

Nice setup paul!!! Have you got a fan in there?? Any hooks yet??

By the way we are in midsummer here in Oz ;) :D spring is for you guys to look forward to

Really nice grow shelf there Paul, gives you the space you need to get the grow going without loosing the space of a grow room. I'd say you have really great planning and organization skill or at least a really neat sock drawer :)
My sock drawer isn't too bad :rofl:
I can't wait to see you get really good and started with some good eats thrown in for good measure.

I'll be following, good growing brother.
Bill
Hey, Bill! Putting fresh pods on food seems like a long way off!
I'm always glad when seeds have sprouted and growing can
begin. The germination stage is almost as bad as waiting for
pods to set and ripen.
Good growing to you, my friend!

Nice setup paul!!! Have you got a fan in there?? Any hooks yet??

By the way we are in midsummer here in Oz ;) :D spring is for you guys to look forward to
Thanks for the clarification, Tripp. Guess I'm thinking it's
still Fall here since it's been so mild :oops: :D Spring seems
like a foriegn country right now!

I have two computer fans in the grow shelf and a fan on a floor
stand I can use as well. I'm not expecting any hooks for several
days yet; the seeds went into the cells almost 72 hours ago on
New Year's Day.

Good growin', buddy.

Yeah computer fans are the business in small indoor grows ... are they simply circulating and pulling air in or do you have one extracting and one pulling??

I miss my indoor growing days ..I will just have to live vicariously for now ;) :D

Don't worry about the seasons its pretty much like this when our winter officially starts (1st June) your summer starts ... I think anyway :D

Back