• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

HillBilly Jeff said:
Hows the taste/heat on those?  I have never ate one before but hear it is like a Serrano Tampiqueno?  30k roughly.  Hope you have manzano pods coming out your ears this year Paul....I got a feeling this is going to be a banner year coast to coast!!!
Heat mild, minor mouth burn and sniffles.  Excellent with chicken.

I hope you are right, my friend!

Paul your plants look great ! Nice work with the framing, discription and the photography.
We get Manzano's at the markets here, the Yellow Perrins. I've never soon any that huge !
Tasy looking scramble...and the roasted Manzanos look delish.
The greenhouse was a perfect idea...the plants are lovin it !

Jamison said:
Holy Manzano!  Them things are the size of apples almost!  Awesome job Pauly G!
Thanks, Jamison!  I was a little surprised at how they grew over the winter myself!
Devv said:
Paul,

Those look like some really hearty peppers!

I'm hoping mine produce this season so I can experience them.

Just beautiful!
They were, indeed, Scott!  
Your grow is awesome, I'm sure you will have some great pods to sample!
PIC 1 said:
Paul your plants look great ! Nice work with the framing, discription and the photography.
We get Manzano's at the markets here, the Yellow Perrins. I've never soon any that huge !
Tasy looking scramble...and the roasted Manzanos look delish.
The greenhouse was a perfect idea...the plants are lovin it !
Thanks, Greg, you are kind as always.  I appreciate your visits, my friend!
All we get in the markets are orange habaneros; I'm a little envious.

Wow, I guess I've missed a bit here.  As all have noted, those Yellow Manzanos are amazing.  I've got 2 yellow plants OWing, from Trade Winds seed, and more started.  Hopefully at least the OW ones will produce.  The orange ones I got from you are truckin' on, as are the others you sent.  Nothing like that Yellow BJ, though.  Dang, that's a plant.  Mine are still seedlings.

Sawyer said:
Wow, I guess I've missed a bit here.  As all have noted, those Yellow Manzanos are amazing.  I've got 2 yellow plants OWing, from Trade Winds seed, and more started.  Hopefully at least the OW ones will produce.  The orange ones I got from you are truckin' on, as are the others you sent.  Nothing like that Yellow BJ, though.  Dang, that's a plant.  Mine are still seedlings.
Good to hear you have some hanging in there for the winter!  
I'm hoping they reward your care big time!  The Orange Pubescens
are great indeed, glad it is growing for ya.  My Yellow ajis are very tall.  
Two have been pinched and one not.  Hoping they produce this year,
as well.  They were started August 15.

I'm looking forward to the Yellow BJ!

Big news in the germinator tray!
c. galapagoense hook; sown on Jan. 18, so 17 days to hook.  I also think I see something happening down in
the aerogarden galapagoense plug (started 1/9), but hard to tell at this point.   Anyway, here's the new hook:
_DSC1195a_zpsa106534f.jpg

The c. exile chacoense helmet head is valiantly and gamely trying to make a go of it.  There is a stub of
green cotyledon left, but that's about it.  I removed the seed cap cuz it was starting to mold   :pray: :
_DSC1196a_zps5c589779.jpg

The aerogarden in action.  
Back row: Romy6 Datil, Romy6Mystery x Goat's Weed (Stc) - hook on 1/17, Charapita (Stc), galapagoense (Stc/Pr0d).  
Front row: Rocopica (Stc/Pr0d), chacoense (Stc/Pr0d), Bird's Eye HTM (Trippa).  
All started on 1/9/14, and all except Goat's Weed cross hooked on 1/26:
_DSC1197a_zps912d1e3c.jpg

I can see I will need to pinch the Goat's Weed cross if it is in there any length of time  :lol:

there you go aerogarden on the loose...transplant after 40days and germinate new ones... i do 3 seeds each hole...and when all three germinates i remove the other 2 and put them on 4oz. containers, and u gonna see the difference of there growth after

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow 17 day hook! Crazy town. I have had some take as long as 23 days now... Nearly a month. Still waiting, fingers crossed, on a Naga.
Good luck with that, one, Adam.  Sometimes they just take their own sweet time   :whistle:  :whistle:
JoeFish said:
More patient than me for sure I check mine and worry about them constantly...  Ready for this new to wear off, but still stay fun.  Kind of wearing me down.  Again I am very new to the game.
We could all probably use a dose of patience, Joe!
Pinoy83 said:
there you go aerogarden on the loose  Aerogarden unchained!...transplant after 40days and germinate new ones... i do 3 seeds each hole...and when all three germinates i remove the other 2 and put them on 4oz. containers, and u gonna see the difference of there growth after
I'll have to try that next season.  Don't have space for that many plants this season   :rofl:
Sawyer said:
:woohoo:

Gonna to have to start calling you Wildman Paul.
I've been called a lot worse, John   :rofl:

The c. galapagoense in the aero garden is definitely hooking-27 days.  It will be up by tomorrow morning.  
That's the Charapita (Stc) in the background, and the Bird's Eye HTM (Trippa) on the right:
_DSC1204a_zpscc96696e.jpg

Here's Trippa's Mystery Cross seedlings:
_DSC1203a_zpscfa08c86.jpg

And the Round Two plants, about 4 weeks since hooks:
_DSC1198a_zps6cb9de7e.jpg

_DSC1200a_zps9160272b.jpg

_DSC1201a_zps9cd5f541.jpg

_DSC1202a_zps8b837fd4.jpg

Okay, that does it for tonight; gonna be cold here, mid-teens.  
Probably low 20's for our neighborhood.  
Greenhouse will get down to high 40's probably.

Looking good Paul! How was the chicken and Monzanos? It looked great from here but they have always had an off putting smell to them to.me, they taste great but I didn't know if the smell carried over?

Great pics Paul! My favorite are Paul's mystery crosses... can't wait to see how they turn out. I bet they're going to be very dark. I always wonder if the darker varieties are more shade tolerant, as it is with greens.

Back