• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

Devv said:
Sad to see your season end!

And as you said, seed starting to happen very soon. Here we go again!
I'm not too broken up, Scott - next season with its
demands will be here soon enough!  I hope you and LB
have a great Thanksgiving; enjoy the holidays, brother!
charlesquik said:
What an amazing season for you Paul!

You cannot cut grow! You will eventually grow even more than this year! :)
Thanks, Charles, it definitely had its moments!

My grow is limited to about 41 or 42 plants, thank goodness!
Otherwise you would be right!

Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday!
Trident chilli said:
Great season Paul and some nice late pods .... Scary to think we will be firing up the propergator's soon. Enjoy the break !!!
Thanks, John, Fall has been decent this year, although were are
dipping into high 30's˚F (about 2-3˚C?)here the last few nights.

Will definitely enjoy the break.  Same to you my friend!
Best of the holiday season to you and your family.

Devv said:
Thanks Paul!

We were at my daughters, for her first Thanksgiving Day get-together. Had all 5 G-kids around us. It was great ;)
Wow, buddy, that sounds like a real treat!
It must be very satisfying To see your
grandchildren growing up.

Right on, Scott; a good education goes a long way.
Kudos to those young ones!

I'm adding some new genetics to my grow for next
season:

IMG_4578.JPG

From CPI: Red Caribbean Habanero / Costeno Amarillo / Poblano
From Refining Fire: Bhut Orange Copenhagen
From Pepper Joe: Fatali / Nagahari (freebie) / Mulato Isleno (freebie)

All good choices!

We use the Poblano's in so many dishes here. I find them very hard to germ, and hope you have success with them. I usually have to buy the plants. One pepper that did really well for us this year is the Large Orange Thai. What a keeper ;)  it has heat, but not so hot that LB won't use it, and she's using it quite a bit in chili, pizza, fajitas, and the list goes on. The flavor is spot on for an everyday pepper.

Devv said:
All good choices!

We use the Poblano's in so many dishes here. I find them very hard to germ, and hope you have success with them. I usually have to buy the plants. One pepper that did really well for us this year is the Large Orange Thai. What a keeper ;)  it has heat, but not so hot that LB won't use it, and she's using it quite a bit in chili, pizza, fajitas, and the list goes on. The flavor is spot on for an everyday pepper.
They are great alright, very versatile. I even like them as salad peppers!
I'm looking forward to trying Pepper Joe's Mulato Isleno chocolate Poblano.
LOT is a great pepper, as well - tasty and pungent!

Why I yearn for a longer, warmer grow
climate - 7 pounds of unripe Aji Amarillo
pods. Nights getting very cool; low to mid
30's neighborhood with possible freezing
temps in next week, so pulled all the pods
And took down the remaining plants - nuttin'
but dirt, now!

IMG_4590.JPG

Plenty of cheap land down here Paul!

I may well be a bit too far South though. Dallas gets colder, but they get hotter quite a bit. Me, I'm dug in for the long haul ;)  Grew up in NY, just too cold there. Sorry to see your season close for good, and ready for the next!

Looks good Paul. Can't wait till next year. I hope your soil issues are solved. I grew a interesting Caribbean Red this year. I had two pods on the plant that were different. The rest of the pods looked normal. The grasshoppers ate all but the two off pheno pods. Woohoo! Very tasty. Good luck with your grow. Let me know if there are any seeds your looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 67
OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good Paul. Can't wait till next year. I hope your soil issues are solved. I grew a interesting Caribbean Red this year. I had two pods on the plant that were different. The rest of the pods looked normal. The grasshoppers ate all but the two off pheno pods. Woohoo! Very tasty. Good luck with your grow. Let me know if there are any seeds your looking for.
Looks like a 7 Pot Moruga and a Red Scorpion! 

Way cool, John! Are you going to grow those out?
Should be interesting...
Devv said:
Plenty of cheap land down here Paul!

I may well be a bit too far South though. Dallas gets colder, but they get hotter quite a bit. Me, I'm dug in for the long haul ;)  Grew up in NY, just too cold there. Sorry to see your season close for good, and ready for the next!
I've probably dropped anchor here, as well, Scott.

Hard to up and move at my age.  Guess I like 
predictability.  Like starting seeds on New Year's
Day!

Back