• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019

No grow log for the 2018 season other than the Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques
thread dedicated to Trippa's cross. That one is an ongoing community project going into
second year and a test of the F7 generation. I imagine I will mention it once-in-a-while in
this thread, but the details of its progress will be in the dedicated thread.

I am deciding on a grow list for the 2019 season after growing only Trippa's cross this
season (2018). I definitely have some old favorites that will comprise the great majority
of the grow. I have limited space, so I'm counting on nature to help me make the final
decision. I'll probably start lots of seeds since I'm gun-shy from the poor germination
rates the past couple of seasons.

Here's the pool. Would be nice to be able to grow a bunch of all of them!  I think my
neighbor will shelter the overflow in his yard, but we'll see what to plant and how many
based on what might germinate  :rofl:

c. chinese - 10 varieties
  • PdN x BMJ, F7, white and violet varieties, Trippa's cross
  • Fatali, F2 of seed from Pepper Joe's
  • 7 Pot Burgundy, brown phenotype, pecan shape from 2017 F2 of the 7PB from Windchicken 
  • Scotch Bonnet, MoA, F2 of seeds from John/Sim, not high production, but some nice pods
  • JA Red Habanero, F5 of seed from Walk Good/Devv
  • Yellow Scorpion, F7 aka Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and CARDI Scorpion, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red, F4, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, F3 of seed from Georgia Growhead
  • Bhut Jolokia, hybrid, F2 - I believe it is a  (BJred) x (Pdn x BMJ F1 or F2)
  • Yellow 7 Pot, F2 of seed from Trippa 2013
c. annuum - 4 varieties:
  • JA Red Mushroom, F3, brown phenotype, seed from Refining Fire
  • Pimenta de Padron - Spanish seed, fry up while small and green, throw on some salt
  • Pimenta del Piquillo - Spanish seed, sweet, very flavorful, small stuffers
  • Guindilla - Spanish seed, spicy heat, great pickled, long and skinny
c. frutescens - 2 varieties:
  • Nagahari from Tezpur, India, supposedly very, very hot freebie from Pepper Joe's 2017
  • Chili Costa Rica, F2 (2014) from Hippy Seed Company seed, 2012
c. pubescens - 1 variety:
  • Red Rocoto, F3 of Peruvian Market seed, 2016
That about does it. Seeding time will be here before we know it!

Meanwhile...

Shade Cloth?  

In the PNW?  

In the first week of June?

It's too early for the hot days we've had. Temps in my back
yard in lower 80's, and a couple of 90's. Some plants are
showing their extreme displeasure:
IMG_1718.JPG

PaulG said:
Here's another. Hope they get big and ripe this summer!
attachicon.gif
IMG_1724.JPG

I've found pods looking like this (not to the same degree, though) that had been constricted by the remains of the flower.  I generally pull off the dried brown flower bits when I see them, but I often see photos here with the flowers still hanging on..  Is it recommended to leave or remove the flowers for reasons?

Well Paul, you are not the only one with sunscald issues. We had a late spring. The temps never rose above 6 until last week and yesterday we had a 35c. Almost everything was hit. And yellowed. That is why I planted in threes. Hopefully one of each variety makes it to maturity for seeds. I hope your plants recover. 

Dang Paul! Things are looking pretty A+ on your end, you've been a busy man! Nice new bed! Those #3 potted PDN crosses are pretty stupid big for this time of year already  :shocked: gonna have some 5 footers come august, easy! Probably missed it.. What kinda maters? Shade cloth?  :shocked:  That's pretty nuts! After that I had to compare weather since I've always thought we were close... Looks like on the hot days your on average 7-10 degrees warmer than we are and on cloudy, rainy days were almost identical, pretty interesting eh? Pods look good, cool phenos  :cool: mine are just starting and weather has been decent/good but not great so I'm not expecting some mature "lookin" pods out of the ones that have set, been overcast until 1pm for the last 2 weeks it feels like, high 50s 60s until then and then the sun shows up and BAM jackets off, its hot and we've posted some low-mid 70s each afternoon. Been a weird spring for sure, for everyone it sounds like. Well Paul I'd tell you to keep it up but I already know that's all part of the grand plan! Lookin good sir!  :cool:

BDASPNY said:
you've got some great growth going despite the weather.  it hit 97 here last week which is unusual but it seems to have leveled back out now.
Same for us, but now we have a few nights in the
mid to upper 40's coming up. Wish it would make
up its mind!

Uncle_Eccoli said:

I've found pods looking like this (not to the same degree, though) that had been constricted by the remains of the flower.  I generally pull off the dried brown flower bits when I see them, but I often see photos here with the flowers still hanging on..  Is it recommended to leave or remove the flowers for reasons?
I have seen that as well. I'm not sure if that's what happened here,
but it's very possible.

It doesn't matter whether you remove the dried flower parts.

Zippy said:
Well Paul, you are not the only one with sunscald issues. We had a late spring. The temps never rose above 6 until last week and yesterday we had a 35c. Almost everything was hit. And yellowed. That is why I planted in threes. Hopefully one of each variety makes it to maturity for seeds. I hope your plants recover. 

I think they will recover alright, maybe not as
big and beautiful as before!

Good move planting in threes, Collin!

BigCedar said:
Dang Paul! Things are looking pretty A+ on your end, you've been a busy man! Nice new bed! Those #3 potted PDN crosses are pretty stupid big for this time of year already  :shocked: gonna have some 5 footers come august, easy! Probably missed it.. What kinda maters? Shade cloth?  :shocked:  That's pretty nuts! After that I had to compare weather since I've always thought we were close... Looks like on the hot days your on average 7-10 degrees warmer than we are and on cloudy, rainy days were almost identical, pretty interesting eh? Pods look good, cool phenos  :cool: mine are just starting and weather has been decent/good but not great so I'm not expecting some mature "lookin" pods out of the ones that have set, been overcast until 1pm for the last 2 weeks it feels like, high 50s 60s until then and then the sun shows up and BAM jackets off, its hot and we've posted some low-mid 70s each afternoon. Been a weird spring for sure, for everyone it sounds like. Well Paul I'd tell you to keep it up but I already know that's all part of the grand plan! Lookin good sir!  :cool:
I think you are right about the PdN crosses. I have
to add they started in November. My main goal with
them was to get some isolated seed.

Our weather has been crazy, as well. Lots more variability
than even 6-10 years ago. Hopefully this is just a phase
and not a portent of things to come (vague feelings of
unease.)

Good luck getting some poddage going, Brandon. I know
what you can do. I've seen it!

My twin BJ hybrids, hooked on 2/23. I suppose they won't
look this good for long, now that they are planted out!
IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

Bhuter's F7 white PdN x BMJ:
IMG_1749.JPG

The seed came from an isolated F6 pod
from seed I sent him, so is guaranteed to
have no crosses in from that generation! 

I hope the pods are white. None of mine
have started throwing white pods yet. Will
be interesting to see what the F5 version
in the #2 pot produces.

JA Red Habanero in a 15-gallon pot at south end of back yard:
IMG_1752.JPG

It looks weak and pale, but look at all those pods!

What will Summer bring  :think: ?

The 4-day cool spell we have entered should
kick the chinense's into more flowering. 

Looks like one of the BJ hybrids already took the hint:
IMG_1753.JPG

edit: Darn! Double post. But I like the
plant so much I'm going to leave it  :rofl:

Back