• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulS Bonchi Glog

I thought I would make a glog for my first attempt at creating some bonchis and share my experience as I'm pretty excited about the whole thing!

I should say I'm following fatalii's growing guide and my own basic plant knowledge! Fatalii's growing guide is here: http://www.fatalii.net/Bonsai_Chiles_Bonchi
If you've never seen it, it's well worth a read.

These are the plants that have been chosen to become bonchis:

a Scotch Bonnet plant. This plant is already two years old which is why I chose to use this one as it already has a thick woody stem and some nice thick roots.
SANY0105.jpg

A Spike plant. This was grown this year and is ideal as it's got small leaves and small fruit.
SANY0111.jpg

A Fairy Lights plant. Also this years. This one has got awesome colour changing fruits.
SANY0109.jpg

An Antillias Carribean plant. Also this years. This one has a nice thick stem.
SANY0112.jpg

A Paper Lantern plant. Also this years. Nice and bushy.
SANY0107.jpg

Im starting with the Scotch Bonnet plant. I bought a pot from York Bonsai - http://www.yorkbonsai.co.uk
They have good prices and quick delivery.
SANY0115.jpg

I exposed these roots a couple of months ago to make them thicker.
SANY0116.jpg

I also bought some bonsai soil. I'm also using some leftover perlite and vermiculite.
SANY0117.jpg

After being trimmed down.
SANY0120.jpg

The roots have been washed off.
SANY0122.jpg

I think i'm going to do this with a couple plants this year. I feel so bad just tossing a bunch of good plants that i don't need to overwinter.

Ask and you shall receive.

This pic is from late July. We did some traveling I and put and inch of water in the tupperware container to keep it alive while we were away.

1113.jpg

This is a plant I dug up in December and stuck in a 5 gallon bucket until spring. At which time I cut it back and put it in this tiny pot. It's grown very little but is currently  loaded with flowers again. I chose this Thai because it has such a small growth habit and the pods stand up. I haven't run it through a winter yet, I'm sure it will require a lot less water. I also don't keep it in full sun . The back of the house faces East, so it gets about half a day of sunshine.

Ian S said:
I have 6 or 7 from last year also
Nice one. Share a picture with us.

boostdemon said:
I think i'm going to do this with a couple plants this year. I feel so bad just tossing a bunch of good plants that i don't need to overwinter.
Sweet. I hate throwing all the plants away at the end of the season, it's a horrible time of year, summer is ending, the only good part is planning next years plants :)

Devv said:
Ask and you shall receive.

This pic is from late July. We did some traveling I and put and inch of water in the tupperware container to keep it alive while we were away.

This is a plant I dug up in December and stuck in a 5 gallon bucket until spring. At which time I cut it back and put it in this tiny pot. It's grown very little but is currently  loaded with flowers again. I chose this Thai because it has such a small growth habit and the pods stand up. I haven't run it through a winter yet, I'm sure it will require a lot less water. I also don't keep it in full sun . The back of the house faces East, so it gets about half a day of sunshine.
Thats awesome good job. Great plant to choose too, I've already added some seeds to this years list specifically for bonchi's. I always get carried away with stuff!

Ian S said:
7 Pot x Douglah

Dorset Naga

7 Pot x TS Moruga 

Jigsaw

Trinidad Scorpion Yellow

Trinidad Douglah x Bhut Jolokia

Really nice!
Did you add the moss to the dorset naga or did it just appear?

Bonchis looking just fabulous!  

Here's my first attempt.

A third year Fatali.  It's been in the same pot all three years, so was spooking pretty shabby at
the end of the season.  One branch turned more brown, so it will die, I'm sure, but when I
checked yesterday, it looked like there were some growth bumps expanding a bit:
_DSC2417a_zps16426934.jpg

The roots washed and trimmed:
_DSC2421a_zps786e6387.jpg

The small roots will be trimmed when it gets a new tray:
_DSC2424a_zps993b23e0.jpg

In the tray for six months or so, then transplant to a real bonsai tray with a little more root pruning:
_DSC2423a_zps56d178c5.jpg

Thanks for letting me horn in!

plaisir8 said:
Looking forward to see what you make out of that monster fatalii!
Thanks dude. Me too, I can't really picture where the new growth will start but I'm excited to find out!

PaulG said:
Bonchis looking just fabulous!  

Here's my first attempt.

A third year Fatali.  It's been in the same pot all three years, so was spooking pretty shabby at
the end of the season.  One branch turned more brown, so it will die, I'm sure, but when I
checked yesterday, it looked like there were some growth bumps expanding a bit:

The roots washed and trimmed:

The small roots will be trimmed when it gets a new tray:

In the tray for six months or so, then transplant to a real bonsai tray with a little more root pruning:

Thanks for letting me horn in!
Hey PaulG!
That trunk/stem looks gnarly! I don't think that branch will die but I guess we will find out.
It looks pretty cool in that dish!
Mine are going under lights this weekend!

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks, PaulS!  I checked the bonchi in the greenhouse this morning,
and there are definitely growth bumps in several places.  A couple of
more weeks should tell the story.

Your bonchis are really awesome, very healthy looking.

Did some more work today! There are two new additions to the family!
We tried something more advanced today.

We wired the roots into four groups, spiraling from top to bottom.
By doing this we're hoping that the roots will fuse together;
SANY0170.jpg

Then we spread them over a big stone. And this is the result;
SANY0173.jpg

Some groups shots
SANY0172.jpg

SANY0175.jpg

The first signs of winter have arrived so it's time to bring the plants in from the conservatory as it's too cold at night!
The conservatory was getting mouldy and the plants had first signs of being too cold.
Luckily there was a brand new light waiting to keep them nice and warm, I bought a T5 cfl light especially for the bonchis.
I cleared the corner of my bedroom, moved some shelves in.

SANY0185.jpg

SANY0182.jpg

SANY0178.jpg

thirdcoasttx said:
Looking good I'll be following along! Just put my bbg7s in bonsai pots. Looking forward to seeing your progression.

That sounds good, mine have only been under lights for about 36hrs and they have grown!

Thought I would post an update as its raining and miserable outside!
My bonchi's have grown so fast under my t5, its in the corner of my bedroom so its the only light I have on in the evenings. It's like a fish tank but things move a lot slower!
Things have grown loads so I did some aggressive pruning and wiring;

Scotch bonnet;
SANY0210.jpg

Fairy lights. This got clipped!;
SANY0212.jpg

Spike;
SANY0214.jpg

Ant Caribean;
SANY0217.jpg

Weird Fatalii. I love this;
SANY0215.jpg

I also got some new additions to the family. Thanks Maiden