• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

bottling Peak heat after bottling

Very curious here. I've been making hot sauce for some time now and I'm trying to nail down that perfect heat. I use a blend of fresh,dry,and powdered peppers to get the right flavor and heat that I want. However, I'll try it initially and it wont be that hot. I know it will get hotter in the bottle so I'll let it sit. My question is how long will it take everything to "equalize" in the bottle and reach its final heat level?

I've been having issues making a hot sauce, thinking its not hot enough so I start a new recipe and batch, but when I try the previous batch it will be crazy hot.

Greetings, carolineshotsauce :welcome:

Assuming the sauce is fairly smooth, not a lot of chunks, it should be equalized in about a week.  Temperature doesn't make any difference, meaning that cooking the sauce doesn't make it hotter or less hot.  Temperature when eating the sauce does make a little difference.  Eating the sauce on something heated tends to feel spicier than tasting cold on a spoon. 

You are probably already doing this, but keep very detailed records and measure EVERYTHING by weight to facilitate exact replication from batch to batch.  Measuring by volume is not accurate, 1 cup of chiles -v- 200 grams chiles. 

Good Luck and Have Fun!
SL

Back