• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Peat Pellets + Hydrogen Peroxide

I noticed some weird white "fuzz" growing on a few of my seeds the other day and decided to try an experiment.  I typically let my seeds sit in the peroxide for a while before I sow them, especially if they're coming out of a dried pod.

I lost a bunch of tomato seeds last year to rot or fungus (whatever it is) in the peat pellets and knew where the fuzz was headed, which I consider a dangerous enemy to my supers.  This is the first year I'm using them for peppers and took no chances.  About two days ago I tried putting a few drops of peroxide on the top of the pellet of the affected seeds and now the fuzz is cleared away and some of the seeds are doing very well.  I figured this was worth mentioning here because I saw a few posts about people losing seeds to the pellets...maybe it will help.

I don't know if anyone else has had any luck with this but it seemed to work

you mind posting a picture? i suspect it might not have been mold growing on the seed but actually the seed sprouting? i could be wrong but that has been a topic lately of people mistaking roots as mold. also could be informative at identifying mold.

Nightshade said:
you mind posting a picture? i suspect it might not have been mold growing on the seed but actually the seed sprouting? i could be wrong but that has been a topic lately of people mistaking roots as mold. also could be informative at identifying mold.
If I get any more I'll take a picture.  I'm sure it's mold or something similar because on one of them it started on the top of the peat first.  Roots wouldn't disappear from pouring peroxide on them either.

yeah if you search the forum for peroxide there are 5 pages of topics   :party:

is great for killing lots of different pests (bacteria, fungi, bugs)

I started some watermelon seeds in one of those jiffy kids starter cups for my daughter. Had a little white fuzzy mold all over the top of the peat. A couple drops of peroxide did the trick. Can't argue with a cheap and easy solution.

Back