• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Peat Pucks?

Is it just me or do these seem to take foreeeeeever to germinate in? I am keeping them at 80ish degrees and moist, not drenched though. Every other day I put a couple drops of water in the center. So far out of 36 pucks I have gotten 1 seed germinated. I do have others that are finally starting to hook, but not many.

Maybe I am just spoiled by the fast and high germination rate the BioDome has.

Matt50680 said:
Is it just me or do these seem to take foreeeeeever to germinate in? I am keeping them at 80ish degrees and moist, not drenched though. Every other day I put a couple drops of water in the center. So far out of 36 pucks I have gotten 1 seed germinated. I do have others that are finally starting to hook, but not many.

Maybe I am just spoiled by the fast and high germination rate the BioDome has.

how many days have you been waiting? with no humidity dome it will take longer. last year in peat pucks most of mine came up around 12 or so days.

i assume that you are talking about jiffy pellets!! never given me any probs and i don't use a heated prop i put non germinating seeds down to duff seeds rather than the pellets, i've used them for 4 years now and i'd say i get around 80% success which in my book is good enough, plus you cut out transplant shock when you plant them on (unless you try to remove the netting and rip the roots off)

i'm using jiffy's this year & now have some nice 'n healthy plants developing.used heated props & as long as you keep your eye on them they should be ok.just don't overwater.germination has been between 5 days & 4 weeks depending on the variety.

Ballzworth said:
how many days have you been waiting? with no humidity dome it will take longer. last year in peat pucks most of mine came up around 12 or so days.

I went to Dollar General and got 3 8" brownie pans with clear lids. I made 3 holes in each lid for ventilation. I have them on my heating pads. It seems like they have been taking forever, I have gotten lost in when I sowwed them, but I think its been about 8-10 days.

I start all my seeds in the Jiffy pellets. I soak them good so they get fat, put the seed in, cover on and they are fine until the seeds sprout. I don't water them again after the seeds go in until I have sprouts. I have not had any problems, in fact I started some scorpions from AJ on the 29th of Jan. 3 of the 4 popped up on Feb 4, that's not bad. I don't use a heat mat under my starting trays either.

Maybe I need to just leave them be and see what sprouts, no more water until they are dry and the seedlings show their faces...

If they are covered, you shouldn't have to water tham again. I sowed 144 Jiffy peat pucks two weeks ago, and half of them have sprouted so far. Keep in mind that some seeds take longer to sprout than others.

I am a first year from seed grower and I planted in peat pellets. I planted my first tray on the 10th of January and had some varieties sprout within 5-8 days. Other have just now came up, three weeks later. I had a bhut just sprout this morning from that first tray. I started another 72 cell tray on the 24th of January and they took off like lighting! I already have all of them up except for 5 or 6 cells. Both trays are growing long season super hots with mostly the same varieties. The main thing I did different with the second tray was pay VERY close attention to seed planting depth. The process was basically identical for both trays(temps, lighting,same seed source,watering times, etc..) but the second tray far out shined the first in performance. Of course there are a variety of factors that could lead to sporadic germination times and rates, but for me, keeping a close eye on planting depth made a definite observable difference using the peat pellets. Best of luck Matt!

Well today is one of those days, I had 7 little pepper hooks in the pucks this morning when I woke up, so now I find myself looking every hour, I am soooo impatient. LOL I think they are going to be fine. I had a fatalli pop up overnight, I took it out of the dome area, cut the gauze off and placed it in a small cup in the growing area. The peat was pretty dry actually so I gave it a drink. I poke 1 hole in the bottom and 2 in the sides at the bottom, so it drains.

Matt50680 said:
Well today is one of those days, I had 7 little pepper hooks in the pucks this morning when I woke up, so now I find myself looking every hour, I am soooo impatient. LOL I think they are going to be fine. I had a fatalli pop up overnight, I took it out of the dome area, cut the gauze off and placed it in a small cup in the growing area. The peat was pretty dry actually so I gave it a drink. I poke 1 hole in the bottom and 2 in the sides at the bottom, so it drains.

Nice to hear it's all falling into place. As for patience...it's hard for us to exercise any of that. First thing I do in the morning and after work is check, and multiple times in between.

Yeah I know, its hard, but I found a new solution that kinda helps the time go by. I got my Fed Tax return friday and spent part of it, not on gardening, please forgive me...
E-Maxx.jpg

The electronic system is FULLY waterproof, I been playing alot in the snow. LOL

Ah, nice to know I am not the only one on here that is into r/c LOL Nope, not brushless, but it will be this summer. I have a MMM 2200 system waiting, just dont want to fry it in the snow, kinda spendy to do that to. (this is just another addition to my many vehicles I have. I have cars, trucks and helis)

I tried helis, but they do not like the way I fly them(into stuff). I have a TMaxx with an O.S. CVRX .18, clocked at 51 mph in second gear. Love it when it changes gears and pops a wheelie.

Back