• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

pebble's 2nd year grow. 1st year raised beds. (a lot of tomatoes)

Since I am starting this grow log about 2 months late I will make a summary post and keep it updated a couple of times every week, I am expecting it to last till end of October-mid November.

I started growing peppers last year and it turned into a major hobby of mine so I decided to step it up and build some raised beds in my very small Tokyo garden. Last years grow was very successful but it was in containers and only peppers.

In the end of 2013 I had peppers out of my ears and as a result and still being a newbie gardener I wanted to have experience with more than just peppers. So this year I am mainly growing tomatoes but there is room for peppers as well naturally.

At the end of the post I will list whats in the boxes. I started almost everything (at least whats of interest to this post) from seed about 1.5 months before I planted them outside at the end of March.

Now for pics:

End of March:

End of April:

May 12:

In the past 4 days everything has grown even more... its crazy. This post was much more extensive to begin with but I had to trim it up since I am not allowed to post so many pics.

So whats growing in there is:

Tomatoes: Chocolate Cherry, Beefsteak, Sweet Million, Baby Cherry, Tiger Tomatoes
Peppers: Hungarian, Inferno F1 (have no clue), Jalapeno, (got some Habaneros going into vent. pots, more on that later)
Zucchini, Blueberry, Raspberry, Strawberries, Purple Basil (very hard to still, too small), Thyme, Oregano, Lettuce, Leaf Lettuce, Bok Choi, Spinach (getting to hot, bolting), Lavender, Camomile (Italian), Strawberry Spinach

2 out of the 3 beds have my home made soil mix, and everything in them is thriving much better than the pre bought mix in the one other but its doing alright.

I built the beds very cheaply out of untreated ceder wood, then painted them with Persimmon Tannin Juice (not so cheap)

If you have any questions I be happy to reply! Thanks for reading.

Will update when I am allowed to post more pics.

Bumping for some more pics! Are the raspberries in the back corner, behind the blueberry plant? it looks kinda like a grape vine...

EDIT: whoa, never heard of Strawberry Spinach...looks kinda neat

That is indeed a grape vine on its 3rd year, hoping it will flower perhaps next year. The raspberry is still very young and on the left side of the blueberry, in the corner.

Will make sure to get some pics of the strawberry spinach, probably need to replant it before the zucchini takes over. (its between the zucchini and the grape)

Yesterday morning:
zucchini's 2nd flower

Yesterday afternnon:
yay baby zucchini

Made more soil today to go into vent pots for my Habs:

Forgot to add I also got Tiger Tomatoes in there.

Nice zucchini, hopefully it got pollinated. How's the weather in tokyo?

btw, if you dont already know, theres another member from tokyo doing a glog: here

Not cold but jumps pretty drastically between 60-80f during day and night.  Also quite cloudy and occasionally very windy. 

18th May

Hungarian pepper flowering:

Jalapeno being pruned for a nice bush:

A big jungle of tomatoes and other things:

Zucchini flowering and habs liking their new home:

Runescape said:
Lol, those tomatoes are monsters! Awesome looking plants, dude...

Cheers, yea they are overtaking the entire bed. I would have planted them further a part but I have very limited space, also I didn't want to throw away any seedlings... So I am tying them the best I can in an effort to keep them straight. Also thought the Tiger Tomato in the front corner closest to the camera would be more bushy, determinate type. Turns out I was wrong, but the seeds were very expensive so I don't plan on cutting it down or risking her by replanting. :confused:

Strawberry Spinach being overtaken by the Zucchini:

A very late starting Pineapple Noire heirloom tomato:

pebbles said:
the seeds were very expensive so I don't plan on cutting it down or risking her by replanting. :confused:
Speaking of which, where do you get your seeds? Does japan have seed racks in stores too? Or do you just buy them online and have them ship them internationally.

Runescape said:
Speaking of which, where do you get your seeds? Does japan have seed racks in stores too? Or do you just buy them online and have them ship them internationally.

Some of the less exciting stuff I get from seed racks in stores. But they dont have a very adventurous selection. Got most of the less "common" tomato varieties from online shops here in Japan actually. Pepper seeds are hard to find locally though so for next season I plan to get it shipped in from overseas well in advance. Didnt really think I would miss growing peppers that much and that growing just about anything would be enjoyable. It is and although I want experience growing more different stuff I really wish I had more peppers and varieties of peppers going on this year. 

Update June 13th.

So I haven't updated much recently due to work and the rainy season coming to Japan. It has rained pretty much constantly for the past week and well the tomatoes and peppers took a toll with the overwatering... Still looking good but growth will probably be hampered.

This will mainly be a tomato update, will do a pepper update when they have recovered from the rain.

Most tomato plants stand about 7.5ft. I would be concerned about that if it wasn't for the abundance healthy leaves and plenty of flowers and tomatoes.

Now for some pics...

Beefsteak:

Choco cherry:

More choco cherry:

Sweet baby:

Tiger toms:

The hosts:

Kinda hard to see from these pics but they stand massive, they are kinda lanky due to being tied up on a stake but the leaves and tomatoes are all looking great so I am not too concerned, might top them off soon since I cant reach or prune them now without a step ladder..

Thanks for taking a look, will update on the peppers (Habs, Hungarian, Jalapeno, Inferno F1) next time and probably my out of control zucchini...

Back