• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Bonsai Not Fruiting

Well it has been a long time since I have visited these wonderful forums. This year has been great and busy. Well I will get right to it. Since last year I have started a pepper bonsai. doesnt look the greatest and I might start over. Anyway if I do keep it, the one issue I have is that it doesnt fruit. It has flowered many times snce last year, but not a single pepper. Now this seems to me that there is probably a nutrient lacking. So my question is, what can I do to encourage fruiting?

Pics would help greatly but I will say this. Get a hydroponic bloom fert and use it in your pot. I LOVE Maxibloom because it is a one stop shop for your nutrient needs.

Use blossom fert, if you have been using blossom fert try increasing the amount, I had a ButchT that was not setting fruit and only flowering for months with no luck! I decided to double the ferts and shortly after that I had peppers!!! :)

In addition to what others said: Some peppers can be photo sensitive - how many hours of light is it exposed to per day? It needs total darkness to fully thrive in fruiting.

Pics would help..
What growing medium are you using?
Are you adding nutes?
Like I said. Kind of an ugly "bonsai" and needs some trimming. I may start over on a different plant but I know this will be valuable information anyway.
IMAG0609_zpsc31a17e1.jpg

I am just using a 6 month feeding potting soil and I am not adding any nutes.

Get a hydroponic bloom fert and use it in your pot. I LOVE Maxibloom because it is a one stop shop for your nutrient needs.
I do have have a bottle of GH Bloom. Will that work? How much should I use and how often?

Use blossom fert, if you have been using blossom fert try increasing the amount, I had a ButchT that was not setting fruit and only flowering for months with no luck! I decided to double the ferts and shortly after that I had peppers!!! :)
Is there a fert you recommend or will the GH Bloom hydro fert work?

If it is inside, are you helping do the work of bees by physically pollinating the flowers?
Ga GH
I am not doing the work of the bees. What is the correct method(s) in which I should do this?

In addition to what others said: Some peppers can be photo sensitive - how many hours of light is it exposed to per day? It needs total darkness to fully thrive in fruiting.
It gets 8+ hours of sun and plenty of total darkness at night.

Thank you all in your help on this matter.

As for the work of the bee's : you'll need to tap on the open flowers to drop the pollen off the outsides of the flower into the middle, or flick the branches close by. If its only the one plant you are helping out, i actually just stick my pinky finger right into the flower and gently rub it around.

+1
i like to finger the flower. :) See the pollen on my fingertip. So i know i am spreading the pollen around. You gotta keep checking for pollen until the pollen sacks open up and release . Some people use an electric toothbrush to vibrate the stem around the flowers which does the same thing. And others use paint brushes or q tips. Give it a try.
Ga GH

+1
i like to finger the flower. :) See the pollen on my fingertip. So i know i am spreading the pollen around. You gotta keep checking for pollen until the pollen sacks open up and release . Some people use an electric toothbrush to vibrate the stem around the flowers which does the same thing. And others use paint brushes or q tips. Give it a try.
Ga GH

I've had a lot of success using an electric toothbrush on my plants, except I let the bristles actually touch inside the flower, but only briefly and lightly.

Back