• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Buds young leaves dying

Hi,

I am new to growing vegetables (just 6 months into it).
I plants these sweet peppers (250 plants approx) around 2.5 months back. They were growing healthy but couple of weeks back I started seeing some problems. This pic is taken on 19-Nov

2q1ezrq.jpg

I uprooted some of such plants and threw them away. I also sprayed Epsom salt and gave some calcium nitrate to plants 3 times in past 2 weeks. Still problem is increasing and now many more plants are infested. Result is plant growth stopped, new buds and leaves dry down. It does not seem to have any effect on already set fruits.

See this pic (Taken yesterday)

21b7hgp.jpg

2db4hnt.jpg

Is it because of thrips or white fly?
I do not see any kind of bugs or insects around. I had a heavy aphid attack on plants 2-3 weeks back, I sprayed some chemical suggested by local shop and i dont see any aphids now. 

I have planted 1000 more plants around a month back and some of them also have started showing similar symptoms.
Please suggest something. I am really worried.

Thanks
Jitender

I am watering them once a week or earlier depending on if I feel they need water. Soil does not seem to be dry. I also assume that if plants have water defeciency then their leaves will start dropping. Is that correct?

I am also giving them 19-19-19 with water once every week.

These are in greenhouse.

What kinda ferts are you using? And to me using 19.19.19 once aweek is quite a bit maybe cut it back a bit.

And just going out on a limb here, but if ur using chem ferts it might be a salt lock up.or maybe a ph imbalanced

I would just water them with plain rain water ( if possible) untell they look like their lacking something

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot 
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot 
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Willard3, great list - my plants are probably suffering from or have suffered from 1, 3, 4, 10 and unfortunately 11.

This is my first year growing, so my poor plants have been taking the brunt of my errors in a big way.  Not had any die yet, which is testament to how hardy chilies are!

jmann said:
I am watering them once a week or earlier depending on if I feel they need water. Soil does not seem to be dry. I also assume that if plants have water defeciency then their leaves will start dropping. Is that correct?

These are in greenhouse.

jmann, my yellow wax is identical to your photos.  I'm putting mine down to too much nitrogen and as other have said your, nitorgen is also quite high.  We've got temps in the 38-42C range for a few days (100-108F)...  As soon as the weather falls to 35C (95F) - three more days - I'm flushing the roots in the pots and then transferring to ground and a new clean mix that is definitely free of excess nitrogen.  A week or two with just water, if they improve great, if not... time to try some calcium in there and see how that goes.

Edit - ballsed up the multiquote somehow...

I think they are just recovering from the aphids. I'd strip all the "infected" leaves off and see what happens from there. Not a CaMg problem at all.

Stop throwing food at the plant, trust me its the last thing you want to do. If you check my glog you will see how my grow was turning upside down. Like yours, leaves curling, buds dying, leaves dying etc. I did almost nothing but water the plants and turn the soil around the plants and they have quadrupled in size. The old damage remains but the new growth is brilliant. All the fertz you may throw at them will inhibit their growth so back it way off.

Sarge said:
Stop throwing food at the plant, trust me its the last thing you want to do. If you check my glog you will see how my grow was turning upside down. Like yours, leaves curling, buds dying, leaves dying etc. I did almost nothing but water the plants and turn the soil around the plants and they have quadrupled in size. The old damage remains but the new growth is brilliant. All the fertz you may throw at them will inhibit their growth so back it way off.

What do you mean by "turn the soil around the plants" ? My soil is quite compacted (another of my mistakes), but the new mix will be looser, so just curious what you mean by that.

I get one of those mini pitch forks(the hand held one) and just tumble the soil to around 3 inch deep, and about 2" from the stem of the plants. I do it to help break the tension in the soil. Its something my dad always does with all his plants, his plants thrive. I've been doing it once every 3 - 5 days, since last week my plant put on about 4 inch + of growth. Its more than likely unrelated but the soil here if left can get pretty damn hard. Its also a good way to see if the soil is still moist under neath.

jmann said:

These are in greenhouse.

I've just transplanted mine into new soil mixes with zero fertz and 6.5 pH soil.  One thing I neglected to check before I did my first soil mix, etc. was my water pH... It turned out to be 7.5-8.0, so that may have caused some lock-out in conjunction with too much nitrogen.  They've been getting that water for like 4-6 weeks.  I have no idea how long they will take to recover or if they will.

Have you checked your water pH?  It only took two cap fulls of vinegar to drop the water pH from 8 to 6, so very cheap and easy to do if you're like me and have high pH water from the tap.
Sarge said:
I get one of those mini pitch forks(the hand held one) and just tumble the soil to around 3 inch deep, and about 2" from the stem of the plants. I do it to help break the tension in the soil. Its something my dad always does with all his plants, his plants thrive. I've been doing it once every 3 - 5 days, since last week my plant put on about 4 inch + of growth. Its more than likely unrelated but the soil here if left can get pretty damn hard. Its also a good way to see if the soil is still moist under neath.

Gottcha - will try that too when they have had a chance to settle down from the recent transplant.

Back