Pepper Epiphany

So as I wait for the 5-10 packages containing seeds of the staple habs, the rare new fun stuff, and the extra fatalii's that populate the list of my usual suspects this time of year, I've been pondering when/how this all started... :?:

I remember always loving hot peppers, and being from southern California there's never a shortage of them, but for the most part jalapeños, serranos, your average jabs, anaheims and others for enchiladas, et cetera... :cool:

Then, a few years back I got introduced (by a fellow capsaicin addict) to fatalii's and a slew of others, and my eyes were opened... :shocked:

Fast-forward back a few years, and as I wait for those meteor-like packages in the mail (and after a couple year hiatus), I realize that even that short time has been too long, WHERE IS MY :fire: ?!

So I start to think maybe I'm addicted to hot peppers... :scared:

And then I remember I've got a mix pack of 50 seeds coming, that will need classification of course, and testing, err I mean tasting. :)

And now I know I'm hooked, and that I can't wait for fresh fatalii's to blend into the morning smoothie of fresh fruits and almond milk... :violin:

Anyone else on their pepper epiphany?

:hell: fatali_addicted :hell:

Even as a little kid my father and I had a very light-hearted competition when it came to chiles and spicy food. One of those silly macho things.

Back in 2001 we were eating at a small roadside place in the back country of Azerbaijan. Food was prepared outdoors on a series of barrels, and there was a caged bear about twenty feet from our table. On my plate was a long, green pepper that I assumed was an aci sivri. I picked it up and started chowing down.

Flavorful. Great texture. Delicious. But if that was an aci sivri, I'm the freaking Pope. I turned bright red, and when asked whether I was alright, managed to wheeze out "yeah, fine, it's not that hot" with tears building up in my eyes. Given the nature of our competition, water was out of the question and I had to suffer in silence.

While I'm sure that pepper doesn't stack up in terms of heat to a lot of the stuff I've had since, I still wish I'd somehow kept a few seeds. It was really tasty.

My mother describes my lust for hot peppers with a funny story of me as a child. It seems that when we were living in Texas and I was just a toddler, I was in my high chair and my parents were entertaining some friends for dinner. There was some hot salsa that the friends had brought over and as they were all eating it around me I kept reaching my hand out to try it. So...my dad put a dab on a small spoon and let me have it. My mom was VERY upset...Seems I cried alot but kept reaching and asking for more. And the rest they say it history! I still love hot food and hot pepper! :dance:

I'm hooked on the after-burn-buzz. Of course the peppers are hot! Of course it hurts! But when the pain is fading a great feeling takes over my whole body, like a massage and a caffine buzz at the same time. I crave that feeling!

Even as a little kid my father and I had a very light-hearted competition when it came to chiles and spicy food. One of those silly macho things.

Back in 2001 we were eating at a small roadside place in the back country of Azerbaijan. Food was prepared outdoors on a series of barrels, and there was a caged bear about twenty feet from our table. On my plate was a long, green pepper that I assumed was an aci sivri. I picked it up and started chowing down.

Flavorful. Great texture. Delicious. But if that was an aci sivri, I'm the freaking Pope. I turned bright red, and when asked whether I was alright, managed to wheeze out "yeah, fine, it's not that hot" with tears building up in my eyes. Given the nature of our competition, water was out of the question and I had to suffer in silence.

While I'm sure that pepper doesn't stack up in terms of heat to a lot of the stuff I've had since, I still wish I'd somehow kept a few seeds. It was really tasty.

I will tell you that eating an incredibly hot mystery pepper next to a caged bear in the back country of Azerbaijan is slightly more interesting than my last vacation....doing crossword puzzles at the Jersey Shore.

when i was a little boy i use to pick up bad language from my father and my mum would get very upset when i swore. so she would grab me and force chilli powder into my mouth. after a while i just got use to it and laughed it off. after that she started using the wooden spoon. now i love spicy food!

Back