• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting pepper fermentation

Hello my friends!!!
I have a doubt!
I prepared a sauce of peppers fermented, but the sauce lost a lot of the "hotness" I use bhut jolokia + Dorset Naga+ habanero Luciferino... I use mature pepper + salt + sugar and liquefy.. I put in my system of fermentation, after 60 days i stop the fermentation and add vineger... wait more 20 days to use!!
I did something wrong? why the pepper lose the "hot"???
thanks

Hello my friends!!!
I have a doubt!
I prepared a sauce of peppers fermented, but the sauce lost a lot of the "hotness" I use bhut jolokia + Dorset Naga+ habanero Luciferino... I use mature pepper + salt + sugar and liquefy.. I put in my system of fermentation, after 5960 days i stop the fermentation and add vineger... wait more 20 days to use!!
thanks
Maybe something lost in translation ? "after 5960 days i stop the fermentation " that is over 16yrs :eek:

Hello my friends!!!
I have a doubt!
I prepared a sauce of peppers fermented, but the sauce lost a lot of the "hotness" I use bhut jolokia + Dorset Naga+ habanero Luciferino... I use mature pepper + salt + [b]sugar[/b] and liquefy.. I put in my system of fermentation, after 60 days i stop the fermentation and add vineger... wait more 20 days to use!!
thanks

Sugar is known to reduce the heat. IMHO that was the problem. I think I'd try the fermentation again without the sugar and see how it comes out. I just ran one for 90 days and had no loss of heat but i hadn't added any sugar. As the bacteria eat sugar I'm not so sure that it does much to add it to the fermentation unless your using it to help to get the bacteria going. I think if I was going to add some sweetness to a sauce I'd go for natural sweetness from some fruit or use something like Agave necture and would add it to the sauce after the fermentation when I cooked it up.

Chili Monsta has more expierence than I with fermentation. Maybe he'll stop by and help to explain what happened.

Cheers,
RM

Sugar is known to reduce the heat. IMHO that was the problem. I think I'd try the fermentation again without the sugar and see how it comes out. I just ran one for 90 days and had no loss of heat but i hadn't added any sugar. As the bacteria eat sugar I'm not so sure that it does much to add it to the fermentation unless your using it to help to get the bacteria going. I think if I was going to add some sweetness to a sauce I'd go for natural sweetness from some fruit or use something like Agave necture and would add it to the sauce after the fermentation when I cooked it up.

Chili Monsta has more expierence than I with fermentation. Maybe he'll stop by and help to explain what happened.

Cheers,
RM

Thanks alot my friend!!
Yes... i put the sugar only to help to get the bacteria going... I use 1kg of pepper 1 tbs of sugar and 1 tbs of salt! is only a few grams of sugar...
In my next fermetation i will try to make without sugar!
maybe Chili Monsta give me the "light" ehheheh
Cheers

Sugar and vinegar will reduce the heat in a hot sauce. most sour stuff will too like lime juice.

I use 1Kg of peppper and put only a 1 tbs of sugar... :/
When the fermentation stop I use 1/1 fermented pepper/ vinegar.. Is too much? in 500ml of pepper fermenteted i use 500ml of vinegar!

kibaumm you shouldn't need to use vinegar after fermenting unless you need to get the ph down some more. The fermentation process creates lactic acid which gives the sauce the sour that vinegar would. You should taste the sauce before you add any. I usually only add some lemon or lime juice to mine and then it's a flavor thing more than anything else.

Cheers,
RM

1/1 vinegar and mash is more than I've seen anyone else on here use. I use certain vinegars in a much much smaller amount, mostly for taste but also for better preserving and shelf life of the sauce. I only add the vinegar after the fermentation process is complete (I let my mash ferment a minimum of 90 days but prefer 6 months if I can wait). But it all depends on what you like in a sauce.

kibaumm you shouldn't need to use vinegar after fermenting unless you need to get the ph down some more. The fermentation process creates lactic acid which gives the sauce the sour that vinegar would. You should taste the sauce before you add any. I usually only add some lemon or lime juice to mine and then it's a flavor thing more than anything else.

Cheers,
RM

I Use vinegar to conserve the sauce!! after fermenteted i put vinegar to conseve... I dont need the vinegar to conserve??? after fermenteted i can botle the sauce and use without use anything to conserve????
I done bad things with my sauces jajajajajaja

the PH (acidic level) of hot sauces play the main role in preserving sauces. A lower PH level means your sauce is more acidic than a high PH level. More acidic sauce are more resistant to bacteria's and will have a longer shelf life. Ways to lower the PH (raise the acidity) are things like salt, vinegar, lime or lemon juice, things like that.
(someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong)

Kibaumm, How much salt did you add? with your peppers 6% by weight of salt would have been enough to preserve until after you finished the fermentation.

I use 1Kg of peppper and put only a 1 tbs of sugar... :/
When the fermentation stop I use 1/1 fermented pepper/ vinegar.. Is too much? in 500ml of pepper fermenteted i use 500ml of vinegar!
Greetings Kibaumm,
I don't think the small amount of sugar you used (1 TBS) should have resulted in the sauce loosing some of it heat level. I have found that the fermentation process itself will soften or mellow the initial bite/burn of any type of mash I've made. I've also realized additional loss of some of the heat if I cook the mash in preparation for bottling.
All that being said, a 1:1 mix of mash to vinegar is a pretty significant level of dilution of the mash and what ever heat level was in it from the beginning.
I'd probably tinker with the mash...throw a few extra flavorings to the pot, and when I'd finished this batch, try a another recipe next time. I'll bet you will still enjoy this batch of sauce...and the next one will be more to tyour liking.
For me...the experimentation is almost as much fun as the tasting.
Enjoy
CM
As another THP member often says..."it's all good !"
Enjoy

Greetings Kibaumm,
I don't think the small amount of sugar you used (1 TBS) should have resulted in the sauce loosing some of it heat level. I have found that the fermentation process itself will soften or mellow the initial bite/burn of any type of mash I've made. I've also realized additional loss of some of the heat if I cook the mash in preparation for bottling.
All that being said, a 1:1 mix of mash to vinegar is a pretty significant level of dilution of the mash and what ever heat level was in it from the beginning.
I'd probably tinker with the mash...throw a few extra flavorings to the pot, and when I'd finished this batch, try a another recipe next time. I'll bet you will still enjoy this batch of sauce...and the next one will be more to tyour liking.
For me...the experimentation is almost as much fun as the tasting.
Enjoy
CM
As another THP member often says..."it's all good !"
Enjoy

thanks for your atencion my friend!!!
I have another bhut jolokias on the way... i will try a new fementation!!!
In this next i will try to use less vinegar! 6% of salt is too much for me.. I dont like salt... I love Lemon juice ;D!
I intend to use in 1L of pepper 200ml of vinegar or lemon juice???
Your guys from North america is sauce King! \o/

the PH (acidic level) of hot sauces play the main role in preserving sauces. A lower PH level means your sauce is more acidic than a high PH level. More acidic sauce are more resistant to bacteria's and will have a longer shelf life. Ways to lower the PH (raise the acidity) are things like salt, vinegar, lime or lemon juice, things like that.
(someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong)

Kibaumm, How much salt did you add? with your peppers 6% by weight of salt would have been enough to preserve until after you finished the fermentation.

Thanks my friend!!
i put only 1tbs of salt to 1kg of pepper!!
6% e too much salt for me my friend!!!
cheers

thanks for your atencion my friend!!!
I have another bhut jolokias on the way... i will try a new fementation!!!
In this next i will try to use less vinegar! 6% of salt is too much for me.. I dont like salt... I love Lemon juice ;D!
I intend to use in 1L of pepper 200ml of vinegar or lemon juice???
Your guys from North america is sauce King! \o/

I have no experience using anything other than salt during fermentation so hopefully someone that has with success will chime in. I would think you could use a smaller amount of vinegar or even lime juice, you would just want to keep an eye on the ph levels to make sure they are low enough to prevent bad bacteria from growing.

I have no experience using anything other than salt during fermentation so hopefully someone that has with success will chime in. I would think you could use a smaller amount of vinegar or even lime juice, you would just want to keep an eye on the ph levels to make sure they are low enough to prevent bad bacteria from growing.

Thanks Jonny5!
I use vinegar only in the end of the sauce.. justo to low the ph level to prevent bad bacteria! I need to buy a phmeter i dont have one!! because this a use lots of vinegar hahahaha

cheers
Rodrigo

Back