• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Health question

Help!  
I have a pretty good assortment of peppers growing this year.  They all are being feed the same thing, using the same soil mix, the same light, etc.  Most all of my plants are looking pretty well except for the Charleston Hots. 
This is the first time I have ever grown them, and except for the color of the leaves, I would be thrilled by their growth.  Here is a picture of them so you can see what I am talking about regarding the color
[/URL]">http://

They are being growing indoors under MH lights.  Every plant around them is a nice color of drak green or bright green except these 4 plants.  They have been blooming and have a few peppers growing on them already,m but for the life of me, I can not figire out why they are this pale yellow color.  It started towards the bottom about a month or so ago, and has has not changed much at all.  Even the green looking leaves are a real pale green compared to any other pepper plant that I am growing this year.

Here is a picture showing some of the color of the other plants, so you can see the size and color difference.
[/URL]">http://

The plants are not looking stunted at all, in fact they are one of the tallest plants I have so far, just very sickly yellow looking.

Looking for any thoughts on what might be the problem

Do you give any epsom salts to the one that's off on color? Being bigger and starting to produce, I've had some issues with nutrient deficiency with the plant redirecting nutrients to the buds/pods and not getting their full replenishment.

I'm not a growing guru (yet) but it's just an idea.

There may be nothing wrong. Look at the catalog for Heavenly Seed:

http://www.heavenlyseed.net/2012cat.pdf

Here's what they say about Charleston Hot:

Charleston Hot Cayenne Developed by USDA Vegetable Lab,
Charleston, SC. Ideal for home gardeners who want a high yielding,
compact plant (18"-24"). Pepper starts out yellow green, changes to
golden yellow, bright orange, and then to a deep red at maturity.
Mature pods are about 5-6" long and very hot (100,000 Scoville heat
units). Matures in 65 - 75 days and has resistance to many types of
rootknot nematodes. NOTE: Normal foliage color is a yellow green.
Please do not mistake this for a nitrogen deficiency.

What I understand about nitrogen with pepper plants is they don't need much, and if you overdo it they will go back in to vegetative state and drop the flowers and pods.

Looking at the picture, I'm seeing most of the yellowing happening toward the bottom.  Just makes me think that the plant is redirecting some nutrients that are in short supply toward the top for additional growth.  I've had this happen with other plants I've grown that aren't peppers, and considering you're giving it the same nutrients that the others which are half its size are getting, it may be part or all of the issue.

As kentishman said though, could be there is nothing wrong.  I'm growing one of these right now (only one out of 10 that germinated T_T ) but it's not far enough along for me to have a good reference.

Regardless, good luck!

My Charleston Hot grew exactly like that all season long. Do nothing and you will be rewarded, mess with it and it shall die from too much love. 

EliteMcScruffin said:
Do you give any epsom salts to the one that's off on color? Being bigger and starting to produce, I've had some issues with nutrient deficiency with the plant redirecting nutrients to the buds/pods and not getting their full replenishment.

I'm not a growing guru (yet) but it's just an idea.
I do use an Epsom salt foliage spray about once a month, and in between I have used a Compost tea spray.  But it goes on all the plants which is why I was concerned with these looking differently.  That said, I know I have a long ways to go to understand all the reactions these plants show due to deficiencies
do use a epsom salt foilage spray about once a month, and in betwrrn I have used a Compost tea spray.  But it goes on all the plants which is why I was concerned with these looking differently.  That said, I know I have a long ways to go to understand all the reactions these planst show due to deficientcies

Runescape said:
How often are you watering them? Maybe you're over-watering them...
Could be, but I do try to watch them closely about that.  I normally just lift the posts up to get a feel for how dry they are, but it is possible.  I will watch that closely, thanks

kentishman said:

There may be nothing wrong. Look at the catalog for Heavenly Seed:

http://www.heavenlyseed.net/2012cat.pdf

Here's what they say about Charleston Hot:

Charleston Hot Cayenne Developed by USDA Vegetable Lab,
Charleston, SC. Ideal for home gardeners who want a high yielding,
compact plant (18"-24"). Pepper starts out yellow green, changes to
golden yellow, bright orange, and then to a deep red at maturity.
Mature pods are about 5-6" long and very hot (100,000 Scoville heat
units). Matures in 65 - 75 days and has resistance to many types of
rootknot nematodes. NOTE: Normal foliage color is a yellow green.
Please do not mistake this for a nitrogen deficiency.

Good to know, I feel stupid about not looking on-line to see if this just might be the normal color.  Duh! :confused:

EliteMcScruffin said:
What I understand about nitrogen with pepper plants is they don't need much, and if you overdo it they will go back in to vegetative state and drop the flowers and pods.

Looking at the picture, I'm seeing most of the yellowing happening toward the bottom.  Just makes me think that the plant is redirecting some nutrients that are in short supply toward the top for additional growth.  I've had this happen with other plants I've grown that aren't peppers, and considering you're giving it the same nutrients that the others which are half its size are getting, it may be part or all of the issue.

As kentishman said though, could be there is nothing wrong.  I'm growing one of these right now (only one out of 10 that germinated T_T ) but it's not far enough along for me to have a good reference.

Regardless, good luck!
Thanks, I will watch it and see if ti changes as it grows.  Like I said, the plant is growing real well, just a strange (to me) color.  Fingers crossed

JoynersHotPeppers said:
My Charleston Hot grew exactly like that all season long. Do nothing and you will be rewarded, mess with it and it shall die from too much love. 
Glad to hear that these might be just fine.  Guess this is a new one for me to jot down in my learning experience.  Got to stop worring so much and enjoy!  Thanks

EliteMcScruffin said:

Don't make too much out of that idea.  Pepper plants do need and will greatly benefit from a lot of nitrogen.  Don't overdo it merely means don't give them so much you are poisoning them.  I have never given any plant enough nitrogen to cause bloom or pod drop and I fertilize with nitrogen rich fertilizer quite regularly.

A simple test:  Give them some nitrogen, and less water.  Do they improve?  One thing I think most seasoned growers can agree on is that at preset, they're definitely not showing signs of excessive nitrogen.

IMO, although the leaves may normally be a lighter green color, the darker of the leaves on the plant look closer to healthy and the yellow ones look like nitrogen deficiency.  Wouldn't that even make sense when you consider that you are providing the same to these plants as the others yet their nutrient requirements have increased due to growing larger than the rest?

Well, since they are not dropping leaves or flowers, I am going to just chance it and go with the idea that these peppers normally have yellowish colored leaves.   I found a web site based on another posting on this list and this is what the vendor says about these peppers. Note the last sentence.  Guess these are just a bit different.  This kind of matches what Joyners Hopt Peppers mentioned above.

[SIZE=small]Developed by USDA Vegetable Lab, Charleston, SC. Ideal for home gardeners who want a high yielding, compact plant (18"-24"). Pepper starts out yellow green, changes to golden yellow, bright orange, and then to a deep red at maturity. Mature pods are about 5-6" long and very hot (100,000 Scoville heat units). Matures in 65 - 75 days and has resistance to many types of rootknot nematodes. NOTE: Normal foliage color is a yellow green. Please do not mistake this for a nitrogen deficiency.[/SIZE]

I live, grow and learn something new each day! (or fake it some days)

Back