• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

pepper infused vinegar

What you all are talking about (the pepper infused vinegar) is what my grandmother made from fresh tabascos on the farm in Mississippi in the 40's-50's. It was made for one simple purpose.....to put on turnip greens, kale, mustard greens....any leafy green veggie.

We called it simply "Pepper Sauce". A lot of southern eateries keep a bottle on the table.

AlabamaJack said:
What you all are talking about (the pepper infused vinegar) is what my grandmother made from fresh tabascos on the farm in Mississippi in the 40's-50's. It was made for one simple purpose.....to put on turnip greens, kale, mustard greens....any leafy green veggie.

We called it simply "Pepper Sauce". A lot of southern eateries keep a bottle on the table.
============================
Absolutely correct. Buy a vegetable plate for lunch in Memphis today, and pepper sauce will be the condiment of preference...particularly if you're having turnip greens.

Yeah, Trappey's had had a sprinkle bottle filled with some kind of small tobasco like pepper and vinegar. They have been around for at least 15 years.
Heatdoes not transfer very efficiently in vinegar. It does transfer amazingly well in beer.

P.S. You make me laugh Canuck. You are the only one here who can carry on a conversation with yourself!

P.P.S. I found the comment in question to be in pretty poor taste. Pun intended.

I keep seeing the name of this topic and keep thinking about "Tabasco" and "Frank's Red Hot"......ha!

Canuk Pepperhead said:
whats he talking about..both of us are sane here.lol

That's what the vocies keep telling me!

If you halve some of the peppers when filling the bottle before filling with boiling vinegar and a couple of cloves of garlic, you will get better diffusion.

Heres an idea...Take a piece of 100% cotton bed sheet, chop chop a bunch of tabasco's and add the cloves of garlic to this along with a few pepper corns...tie it into a sack. Try and layer the peppers around it so from the outside of the jar all you see is peppers...fill with hot boiling vinegar, then seal.

Hey Canuck, I hate to mention it....but.....
Your other personality has taken to compulsively editing your posts rather than just answering your posts.(he must have heard that I am on to him!)
Just my $.02, but you might just want to sit him down and have a fairly stern talk with yourself.

Just thought you should know!

Back