• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pepper injuries

So I thought I would share a couple of my latest mishaps with peppers. First, I was trying out the new coffee grinder with some dried cayennes, it worked sweet until I popped the lid and got a nose full of airborne powder. I sneezed for 2 hours. Now tonight I picked some Scorpions like always no problems, until an hour later I rubbed my eye and, it was if I had been maced !!!! I have never had that problem before without actually slicing open the pepper. Oh yeah and also I was cooking Habenero Scorpion and Pineapple pepper jelly a few days ago and dropped some on the burner, lol the house was uninhabitable for a couple hours. Any other good painful stories?

I've got 2 stories. The first takes place when I was about 13. We had Habs in the garden and I picked one for a pizza. Minced it, put it on the pie, went to the bathroom for a pee. What did I forget in there? Yeah, didn't wash my hands. AAAHHH!!! Spent the next 20 minutes or so pouring milk on my naughty bits and crying like a little girl. My second story happened on Saturday. I decided to make some sauce with 4 Yellow 7 Pots. Cut up the peppers... Without gloves. Ok, no big deal for about a half hour. After that, it felt like I had my hands in boiling water... For a day and a half! Then, to make matters worse, while stirring my concoction, the vapors mixing w/ my sweat gave my face the feeling of a 3rd degree sunburn. DOH!

I've got 2 stories. The first takes place when I was about 13. We had Habs in the garden and I picked one for a pizza. Minced it, put it on the pie, went to the bathroom for a pee. What did I forget in there? Yeah, didn't wash my hands. AAAHHH!!! Spent the next 20 minutes or so pouring milk on my naughty bits and crying like a little girl. My second story happened on Saturday. I decided to make some sauce with 4 Yellow 7 Pots. Cut up the peppers... Without gloves. Ok, no big deal for about a half hour. After that, it felt like I had my hands in boiling water... For a day and a half! Then, to make matters worse, while stirring my concoction, the vapors mixing w/ my sweat gave my face the feeling of a 3rd degree sunburn. DOH!
Ha Ha, Milk on the naughty bits, thats funny.

I experienced this at 17..................

also remember eating 2 on an empty stomach...............

didnt make it past 2nd period. had to call home. then go get pepto!

HB You're coming up on 500 congrats!

Who is it that says "don't touch me unless you've been wearing gloves!"

Last year, when I first began my official life as a chilihead and tester, I had purchased some Bhut Jolokias from eBay (yes, they were REAL Bhut Jolokias, and DAMN HOT!). As weeks went by, I began making hot sauces, and while making a batch of sauce, I was busting up/deseeding the peppers, and not wearing gloves. My hands felt sunburned for 2-3 days, no matter how many times I washed them, and no matter what kind of soap I used.

Needless to say, I always wear vinyl gloves now when I deseed peppers, although BeagleStorm recommended nitrile instead. After my 40+ pepper deseeding marathon today, I see what he means. My hands still have a faint tingle some 6-7 hours later, so I guess the capsaicin can soak through vinyl gloves too!

i handled a few cappuccino habs washed my hand went to take a nap

i scratched "myself" in my sleep needless to say it rattled me out of a sound sleep

flaming genatalia is not fun!! :eek: :flamethrower:

thanks your friend joe

...My hands felt sunburned for 2-3 days, no matter how many times I washed them, and no matter what kind of soap I used...

I hate that feeling, I found washing my hands in diluted milk helps.

Like Joe, the stupidest thing I have done has got to be scratching "myself" after deseeding jalapenos too... Ouch! :mouthonfire:

accidently rub eyes. Rubbing skin after handling super hots.
forgetting I handled a jolokia and going to take a piss.

I can’t tell you how many times this has happen to me, and still every now and again!!

I never seem to learn my lesson!!

While picking superhots at Bowers I didn't wear gloves by choice. Many times I reached in to get a pepper only to grab it and discover a mush spot or hole when my finger(s) went in. Just wiped on my pants and carried on. 5 hours of picking and I had Hunan Hands the rest of the day. Sick part is I enjoyed it. The next morning they were gone. Then I process the 17+ pounds of peppers. While rinsing in the sink the water's capsaisin level brought back the Hunan Hands. They stayed until noon the next day. Amazingly, even though they burnt, taking a leak caused no discomfort. Then again I am a freak.

Fatalii hand lotion anyone? :dance: :dance:

Edit: spelling like always

Some years ago, I made Habanero hot sauce in a blender.
that blender exploded and I got hot sauce all oer my face, including eyes, ears and nose... and of course whole the kitchen so my mother was angry and I had to clean it.

But that´s nothing compared to an incident where I had some extract sauce on my hand and went to toilet withouut removing it properly.
The next hour I spent in the bathtub with ice cold water.
MAN I was freezing but as soon as I went outside of the tub the pain was so immense that willinly jumped back in...

While picking superhots at Bowers I didn't wear gloves by choice. Many times I reached in to get a pepper only to grab it and discover a mush spot or hole when my finger(s) went in. Just wiped on my pants and carried on. 5 hours of picking and I had Hunan Hands the rest of the day. Sick part is I enjoyed it. The next morning they were gone. Then I process the 17+ pounds of peppers. While rinsing in the sink the water's capsaisin level brought back the Hunan Hands. They stayed until noon the next day. Amazingly, even though they burnt, taking a leak caused no discomfort. Then again I am a freak.

Fatalii hand lotion anyone? :dance: :dance:

Edit: spelling like always

I never wear gloves it helps me gage the heat content of the many superhots verities I work with. Sometimes my hands will burn for a few days afterwards, but O-well I'm not about to change the format.

Some years ago, I made Habanero hot sauce in a blender.
that blender exploded and I got hot sauce all oer my face, including eyes, ears and nose... and of course whole the kitchen so my mother was angry and I had to clean it.

But that´s nothing compared to an incident where I had some extract sauce on my hand and went to toilet withouut removing it properly.
The next hour I spent in the bathtub with ice cold water.
MAN I was freezing but as soon as I went outside of the tub the pain was so immense that willinly jumped back in...
HOLY :censored: ..... :shocked: thats a bad freaking day!

Back