• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper inside another pepper???

ive seen this a few times, i looked it up a while ago but this is the only information i could find on it is this

"A pepper growing inside a pepper is a type of parthenocarpy, which is the formation of fruits without fertilization or the formation of seeds. No one is sure what causes them, but temperature and nutrient levels have been ruled out.

Plant breeders, who consider this anomaly undesirable, keep an eye out for it when selecting for new cultivars, because the trait is inheritable.
if you plant seeds from the fruit/pod that has a second pod growing inside it, the plant that grows from it will most likely produce these pods.
these fruits/pods are edible"

i copy and pasted this a while ago and have it stored in a notepad document on my computer, i can not remember the source

If they all happen to be like this youve got yourself a very interesting phenotype which could possibly be become an entirely new type of pepper - you may be onto something which can change the pepper world as we know it

I would say there is about another 60 small ones so would presume they are the same, not going to pick them going to let them grow see what happens

Save us some seeds! I wonder if it will be passed on to the next generation? Even if it's undesirable, still a neat novelty trait.

Dude that is some wild ass sheeit....never seen anything like it before...fairly new to peppers but wow man very cool..:)

Just a quick update, I picked the last of the small ones and this is the result, I would say just over half had the same pepper in a pepper problem. One or two even had a pepper in a pepper in a pepper!

I used to get little peppers inside peppers before but never have i seen peppers in peppers in peppers. Truly a first for my eyes and i must say that i find it to be rather EPIC!

Put it this way, instead of a pod weighing say 5 grams you may get 8. More weight should be a desirable trait if making sauces. Although the flavour of the unripe green pods inside would differ from the parent pod.

Cool stuff bro, real hhheeeeccctttiiicccccc. :flamethrower:

Back