• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pepper Jelly

Used two scorpion peppers and 2 red bells per 6 1/2 pints.

I'm hoping they're hotter than the ones I made last year. 1 scorpion didn't seem as hot as I thought it would be. I wonder if sugar negates the effects of capsicum.

I wonder if sugar negates the effects of capsicum.

Not negates, just tones it down, especially after a bit of time has passed.

Sugar definitely dulls the heat of the peppers in my experience. I made a batch of cranberry habanero jelly last year, that if I'd used the same amount of pods in a hot sauce would've had the same people crying , yet in the jelly, people that say Tony Chachere's seasoning is spicy are lining up to get more of the jelly, and saying "it's surprisingly not that hot". 

hot stuff said:

Used two scorpion peppers and 2 red bells per 6 1/2 pints.

I'm hoping they're hotter than the ones I made last year. 1 scorpion didn't seem as hot as I thought it would be. I wonder if sugar negates the effects of capsicum.

I think you mean  Capsaicin, not Capsicum.

Looks nice though. Any chance you could put up the recipe? I've been thinking of making something similar. 

SR

Just get a box of sure-jell and follow the recipe for chili pepper under the cooked jelly/jams part. Just take out the part of jalapenos and put however many superhots you want in it. I also used apple juice instead of apple vinegar but if it's your first one you may want to use the vinegar instead. You will need 5 cups of sugar for each batch of 6 1/2 pint jars of jelly and 1 cup of vinegar/juice. You'll also need something to water bath them in. If you don't have a water bath pot, you'll need to put something on the bottom of your pot to keep the jars off of direct heat from the stove.

There are also directions in there for frozen jelly and those don't need a water bath but you'll still need everything else.

But you don't need to use sure-jell. There are others like certo and the like. They usually come with directions for their particular jelling agent. These directions in the packet really need to be followed in order, otherwise it won't come out right. I'm serious. Making jelly is like baking, not like stove top cooking.

Shorerider said:

Looks nice though. Any chance you could put up the recipe? I've been thinking of making something similar. 

SR
Like any jam/ jelly recipe, find a proven recipe and follow exactly. It is a bummer if your jelly doesnt set properly.

Back