• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

pepper jelly

i made some (pics to follow, i have not taken any yet!)

i didnt use suregel as i had some pectin that was clearanced out, but i hope it turns out good.  i used choco hab, yellow fatalli, and hot lemon drops as my peppers :)  

oddly i dont know why, but the pectin i used did not set up when it is in its state.  i put the leftover in the fridge and it started to gel up and should be better soon.   any idea of what causes that?  followed the recipie all the way, but it was nothing like surgel  

Could be old pectin.
It's a fine balance between sugar, acid (vinegar or lemon juice), pectin, and cooking temp/time.
The good news is you can cook it up again and try a little more pectin unless you already discovered that it set up fine while in the fridge.

I've had jellies that took a few weeks and checked them perfectly set. Some stay on the softer side. Try what Hawaiianero suggested if it doesn't work and they set more like a jam or conserve they'll still be fantastic!! :)

oldsalty said:
I've had jellies that took a few weeks and checked them perfectly set. Some stay on the softer side. Try what Hawaiianero suggested if it doesn't work and they set more like a jam or conserve they'll still be fantastic!! :)

yeah, they set up more like a jam, the one i have in the fridge set up nice though for an odd reason.   its not old pectin either, i think the expiration date is in the 17's.  whatever the store had on clearance.  

gangaskan said:
yeah, they set up more like a jam, the one i have in the fridge set up nice though for an odd reason.   its not old pectin either, i think the expiration date is in the 17's.  whatever the store had on clearance.
That happens. Well excellent!!!! :) sounds like jelly time. Just give them time the others will set and if giving as gifts just tell people to refrigerate 24 hours before opening. :)

I got a giant amount of ghost peppers and Carolina reapers and other stuff from my dad's garden, so my wife made 2 batches of pepper jelly: a crabapple based Carolina reaper jelly and a ghost pepper lime marmalade. I don't know the details of production, she is the jellmaster and not me. They both turned out good and are definitely the hottest pepper jellies i have ever had but are not overpowering; maybe the capsaicin does not readily dissolve out into the jelly format? Idk. I wonder if adding small amounts of oil/fat or alcohol to jelly recipes might make the capsaicin more soluble, or would that interfere with the jellability? These are questions to which i do not have answers.
jel2.jpg

jel3.jpg

Back