vendor Pepper Joe

I ordered my first season's seeds from pepper joe a while back. He has a small selection that he grows out each year. He will send you seeds in little coin envelopes and always sends some free varieties with each order. I had excellent germination rates from all of his seed with the exception of one variety that I ordered. Considering how it was my first season and I was germinating OUTDOORS in soil (dumb dumb dumb) I was very pleased with the germ rates and I assume most of my problem seed was due to poor growing skills in my first season. I also germinated two more of his seeds the next season that had been stored in a drawer for a year, and both germinated.

I will say that he has a higher rate of hybrids than most growers. I'm not sure how he isolates his plants if at all but I've gotten hybrids from him. I also reallllly wish he would post more pictures of his pods because it's really hard to tell what you're going to get. My Bhut Jolokia seeds that I got from him didn't get a chance to fruit the first year, but the second year the plant I grew out ended up not being a true Bhut. I'm not sure if it was a hybrid or what, because it had a pointed shape that looks like a lot of the smaller bhuts I see on the web and definitely had C. chinenses genetics, but it was nothing like the large, wrinkled, superhots you see coming out of the NMCPI. Also probably around hab heat or slightly above, not superhot. I'll post pics on request.

Overall I'd say he's a good source for novice growers but I wouldn't recommend him if you're trying to get superhots and such. There are more reputable sources out there. Overall probably a C+/B-

Hey thanks again Omega.
I instruct our packers to ship at least 12+ seeds on SuperHots with 10 seeds listed.
At times they make mistakes...so that's why I'm giving you a whole new pack of seeds for free.
The customer is always right.
And we do treat our customers right...that's why our sales go up substantially year after year.
Hey good luck in your seed business....I hope you make a fortune Omega. There is no information about your company on your profile??
What is the name of your company? We'll send some customers your way.
:P
I have not received an email from you to send you a free pack of seeds to compensate for the few that were missing.
Did you send it yet with your order number, date ordered and type of pepper seeds?
Thanks a million and Great Gardening,
Joe

omega pepperjoe seems to have one person silvia handling all the emails and orders personally and if you watch his youtube and facebook it's an incredible volume so sometimes stuff does not end up in the mail for 2-4 days...If you read about pepperjoe's deseeding process and how he sends replacements and two free packs (not stuff I would grow I often give them away I like it hotter than habanero) That's why I order from Joe but honestly I wish he had a canadian office...I would rather pay a canadian company....

You know Joe, you're probably right. People make mistakes all the time. i personally pack all my seeds and give about 30-50% more seeds with my orders. but of course, I'm small time compared to you. I haven't officially made my company name public, but will after my first harvest. I have a really nice job that pays well, so this will not be a main income for me. I enjoy making people happy, and will continue to keep that motto the same. I'm sure you have the same mentality, but since you rely on helping hands to help ship you're orders,a little of that passion is lost..i apologize for coming across negative, and will probably buy from you again :-). Take care.

I've only had one problem with PepperJoe. I ordered Scotch Bonnet seeds last year, expecting what was pictured on his website. No problem with germination, but were completely different peppers that what were pictured on his website. Needless to say I was very disappointed. But everything else has been good.

scotchbonnet.jpg
Pictured

What actually grew,
IMG_20120825_114719.jpg

We ship out a lot of orders daily. And Canada in particular is becoming a huge customer base.
Here is a batch of orders going out one day this week.

Pepper Joe's one day orders2.jpg

Shipping out this quantity of orders gives us a lot of experience at shipping, costs, custom issues, condition of product upon arrival, etc.
Overall, the 3 most difficult places to ship to are Canada, Italy and Australia.
They are notorious for being extremely slow and difficult with customs.
They make our Post Offices in the USA look like stream-lined efficiency.

Our goal is not to get orders out the cheapest way possible, but to make certain the seeds arrive in perfect condition and that we're complying with customs.
Again, we're turning orders in 3 to 4 business days this time of the year (faster out of season). Many towns have now closed their local Post Office branches on Saturdays, and of course Sundays are closed. So if an order arrives in a week, that would be about right. But obviously there could be a variance in delivery time from one Post Office to another.
We do work very hard at our end in shipping to process orders quickly.
Last time that we researched other companies shipping costs, some Seed Companies (Not mentioning any names) had a substantial "up charge" for what they called 'Rush Shipping' which is what we consider our normal shipping times. Also, we found that our shipping costs were in the bottom 25% range. I have about 40 of our competitors catalogs in our office.
Also, shipping Hot Sauces domesticly is very expensive due to their weight....and we actually lose money in some cases shipping Hot Sauces....but we average it all out. Several competitors have an additional "up charge" for what they call 'extra shipping charges for heavy items'.....we do not.

THANKS all for being a customer, and we'll continue to work hard to earn your loyalty.

100% germination on the Reapers. Joe's prices are a bit higher than most, but the seed quality is excellent, shipping is fair, and the customer service is top notch.

@Jamison, send Joe a message and I'm sure that he'll make it right, if he hasn't already reached out to you.

100% germination on the Reapers. Joe's prices are a bit higher than most, but the seed quality is excellent, shipping is fair, and the customer service is top notch.

@Jamison, send Joe a message and I'm sure that he'll make it right, if he hasn't already reached out to you.

I have. He never contacted me back.

Canada post has had crappy service since the strike but it did arrive faster than the last time. Can't blame Pepperjoe for that but it did take 2 days to get sent in the mail.

You can say that again! My order from PepperJoes has yet to arrive and that was almost 2 weeks ago that I ordered it. I even got seeds from smileyguy697 on here and I got them in less then a week. Not your fault though Joe, just sucks though cause our growing season is much shorter then most and would like to get them asap :)

How long did you wait. Im 0-7. Two weeks in moist ziplock in heat mat. And ehen nothing happen 2 weeks in jiffy. Still nothing.

100% germination on the Reapers. Joe's prices are a bit higher than most, but the seed quality

Edit for double post

How long did you wait. Im 0-7. Two weeks in moist ziplock in heat mat. And ehen nothing happen 2 weeks in jiffy. Still nothing.

I soaked them 24 hours and put them into a heated germination tray with jiffy seed starter mix. It took about two weeks for them all to pop. I had about 50% with Joe's Yellow Bhuts, but the rest were 90% ish. Reapers were 10/10. Hopefully yours are just being slackers!

With all these positive reviews, seems like I will be giving Pepper Joe a call within the month. I live here in the Philippines and I understand it's not cheap to have it shipped here via UPS/Express. I hope I find someone from the US who is visiting the Philippines to bring it here for me or I might just choose regular snail mail (with hopes it won't get lost)/stolen).

Joe, unless you have shipped via regular mail before to the Philippines?

Back