• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Mating Observation

I had a late pepper harvest toward the end of the last year. Took pictures to post but did not get around to doing it. Nothing special about it but did notice something interesting.

I had a late harvest from four plants. Orange Habanero, Black Stinger, Black Devils Tongue, and Golden Ceyenne.

A few shots.
IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

One thing I noticed was how the Orange Habanero mated with both the Devils Tongue and the Black Stinger. They produced pods on the plant similar to each of the other plants. I know the plants cross polinate, but I did not think that they produced pod shapes based on initial or repeating polination with other like plant species.

Sorry these are a little blurry. The Will Work for Hops was apparently setting in and I did not notice.

IMAG0572.jpg

IMAG0573.jpg

The cross would be in the seed not the pods. An unstable seed stock may cause the change in look, however environmental variables can cause it too.

I'm not sure I follow. Did you grow the Habs from seed that you saved yourself (from the previous season or whatever)? As you won't see the results of cross-pollination until after you have grown out the seeds from the cross-pollinated pod. The pod formed from a cross-pollinated flower will still form true to that plant's genetics. (For example, if you cross-pollinate a Bhut Jolokia flower with pollen from a Trinidad Scorpion, the Bhut Jolokia will still produce a Bhut Jolokia pod from that flower. It's not until you grow out the seeds from that Bhut Jolokia pod that you will see the results.)

The cross would be in the seed not the pods. An unstable seed stock may cause the change in look, however environmental variables can cause it too.

That is what I thought i.e. that the changes in the pod shape will not take until the next generation. That is why it confused me at first, why does this habanero look like a devils tongue. Another thought was "what a whore of a plant." :dance: I will chalk this one up to unstable seed stock.

I'm not sure I follow. Did you grow the Habs from seed that you saved yourself (from the previous season or whatever)?

Nope. I bought this plant, labeled scotch bonnet, from a reputable grower. turned out to be a orange habanero. Oh well it happens.

Thought I was going to see some action here. Tease.

Maybe this will help.

happy-hump-day-kermit.gif

It helps a little.

Even well stabilized plants will kick out the odd shape/color at times. Those are usually mutations and that's where real cool new peppers come from.

Back