• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper rack complete...not much but I'm proud...

In the raised bed I usually plant my peppers...they never seem to do well. On the side of the house they do great but that area is earmarked for my wife's flowers...so...I needed a new place. The only other place in the yard that gets the same amount/intensity of sun as the side of the house that they do so well on, is in front of my shed. Not having any place to actually plant anything, I was forced to use pots and in order for all plants to get as much sun as possible, I decided to stack them. Here is the result....I know, not much of a collection, but my best crop of super hots to date....

Top row are Scorpion and Black Habanero, middle row all Carolina Reaper, bottom row Yellow Butch T and Chocolate Habanero. The little guys on the ground waiting for bigger pots are also Chocolate Habanero and a single Chocolate Bhut.

Like I said, not much but I'm excited about it. Maybe next year I can expand.

nubster I love it - great example of problem solving! 

It's an awesome set up. I like it but you are gonna wanna make something that will keep them from tipping over when the wind blows. It sucks when one of the top plants falls and crushes a couple of the lower ones.

I agree. Great work there ... got any strong winds where you live?... maybe try adding a mini fence on every shelve, just to hold a pot a little more fixed .. how big are those pots?

They are pretty heavy so I don't think they will. If things do get dicey I can install some eye-hooks on each end of each row and use some rope to seatbelt them in...lol...they are 3 gallon pots.

As far as the spacing issue...not sure how big they will get. Top ones should be fine, others how about 20" before they overlap the plant above. I am probably going to stagger them later so the pots aren't all in a line up and down, that way there will be less overlap if they get that tall.

I did a similar thing with cucumbers last year with a trellis that went up my shed. When the plants were younger I used Velcro on the bottom of the pots until I could get the materials to add a ledge.

nubster said:
They are pretty heavy so I don't think they will. If things do get dicey I can install some eye-hooks on each end of each row and use some rope to seatbelt them in...lol...they are 3 gallon pots.

As far as the spacing issue...not sure how big they will get. Top ones should be fine, others how about 20" before they overlap the plant above. I am probably going to stagger them later so the pots aren't all in a line up and down, that way there will be less overlap if they get that tall.
I have a similar design, but bigger--fits five gallon buckets. Picture about half a picnic table standing along a chain link fence...I'll get a picture up tomorrow if I remember.

But yeah, I use bungee cords to secure the top row, and just hook them on the fence. The second row has some eye hooks for bungee attachment.

I forget whose glog last year inspired my design, but the tiers are a great way to save space and keep the buckets off the sidewalk and lawn.

Back